Earth Stargate Point of Origin strikes again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Flibby View Post
    So it has to physically appear on the screen for you to believe anything? The facts stated by the characters aren't enough?
    If you can find a line that says that THAT symbol is the point of origin for earth, your argument will be credible.

Comment

They said in the dialog that that Stargate was left there by the Ancients. That DHD obviously went with it and they showed visually the point of origin on that DHD. If that's not enough, then there is no point to this discussion.

Regardless, as far as I can tell, the general fan consensus is that each Stargate is supposed to have it's own unique point of origin, as is how it seems to have been described throughout the series, aside from what seems to be a few production errors.

Comment

They said in the dialog that that Stargate was left there by the Ancients. That DHD obviously went with it and they showed visually the point of origin on that DHD. If that's not enough, then there is no point to this discussion.

Regardless, as far as I can tell, the general fan consensus is that each Stargate is supposed to have it's own unique point of origin, as is how it seems to have been described throughout the series, aside from what seems to be a few production errors.
        I see that you could find NO line, because there is not one. It is not the point of origin because it didn't work. I could say it would have been foolish to suggest that Carter did not try other addresses because we did not see it so it did not happen. When that gate was used later on, it used the "A" symbol not the other one, therefore it is not the point of origin.

Comment

Clearly you are dead-set in your opinion that the show is immune to production errors, so obviously my logic is wasted here.

Comment

Clearly you are dead-set in your opinion that the show is immune to production errors, so obviously my logic is wasted here.
            Not wasted, you simply havent supplied any information to counter my argument.

Comment

Carter specifically points at the symbol Flibby was talking about and says it's the only one she doesn't recognize, which means it's the Point of Origin. The Point of Origin has always been unique to each Gate. The original Earth Gate had it's own symbol, the Gate Ra brought to Earth had it's own symbol, and the Icarus Gate had it's own symbol.

The only reason we see the one from Ra's gate so much is because it would be ridiculously expensive to design and create a new symbol for every single Gate and DHD shown onscreen.

EDIT: Here's the actual dialogue for you:

O'NEILL
              You IDed the seventh symbol yet?

CARTER
              Yeah, this one has to be the point of origin. I've never seen it before.

And the reason the Stargate wouldn't connect was because they were trying to dial the planet they were already on, which is impossible:

DANIEL
              (To Teal'c)
              What happens when you dial your own phone number?
              (He looks at Teal'c's blank face.)
              Wrong person to ask.
              (To Hammond)

HAMMOND
              You get a busy signal.
              Last edited by Lexx; 05 April 2011, 02:28 AM.
              MCKAY: We need the Zed PM to power the Gate.

O'NEILL: What?

JACKSON: ZPM. He's Canadian.

O'NEILL: I'm sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by Lexx View Post
                Carter specifically points at the symbol Flibby was talking about and says it's the only one she doesn't recognize, which means it's the Point of Origin. The Point of Origin has always been unique to each Gate. The original Earth Gate had it's own symbol, the Gate Ra brought to Earth had it's own symbol, and the Icarus Gate had it's own symbol.

The only reason we see the one from Ra's gate so much is because it would be ridiculously expensive to design and create a new symbol for every single Gate and DHD shown onscreen.

EDIT: Here's the actual dialogue for you:

O'NEILL
                You IDed the seventh symbol yet?

CARTER
                Yeah, this one has to be the point of origin. I've never seen it before.

And the reason the Stargate wouldn't connect was because they were trying to dial the planet they were already on, which is impossible:

DANIEL
                (To Teal'c)
                (He looks at Teal'c's blank face.)
                Wrong person to ask.
                (To Hammond)

HAMMOND
                You get a busy signal.
                You are missing the point:

IF THAT SYMBOL WAS THE POINT OF ORIGIN THEN NOTHING THEY DIALLED WITH THAT GATE WOULD HAVE WORKED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How many times can I say the same thing before people get it!

Comment

A point of origin symbol is a gate's point of origin, not the point of origin of the system it's in. If it was tied to the location of the gate, moving a gate (such as when Atlantis moved) would have made it not work at all, since it wouldn't have its new point of origin.

It's been established that point of origin is unique, and we've seen more than 39 Milky Way stargates, so therefore, the point of origin shouldn't be one of the constellation symbols. Wouldn't it make more sense then to have 38 symbols the same on every gate and one different then have groups of gates with multiple different symbol?

Comment

Originally posted by escyos View Post
                    You are missing the point:

IF THAT SYMBOL WAS THE POINT OF ORIGIN THEN NOTHING THEY DIALLED WITH THAT GATE WOULD HAVE WORKED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How many times can I say the same thing before people get it!
                    No, you're missing the point. They only tried one address, Earth. And that obviously didn't work, because (unknown to them) they were on... Earth. Taking that as proof that this wasn't the Point of Origin is a massive leap of logic.

One more thing: If you want people to take you seriously, the all-caps and exclamation marks are not helping. Please don't take this personal, it's just some well-meant advice
                    sigpic

"Were you expecting Stairway to Heaven?!"

Comment

Originally posted by Rylor View Post
                      No, you're missing the point. They only tried one address, Earth. And that obviously didn't work, because (unknown to them) they were on... Earth. Taking that as proof that this wasn't the Point of Origin is a massive leap of logic.

One more thing: If you want people to take you seriously, the all-caps and exclamation marks are not helping. Please don't take this personal, it's just some well-meant advice
                      So when they used that gate at the SGC? What? It just magically changed!?

Yeah I didn't think so, maybe do some research before you assume that one little exception is the rule.

Comment

Come on guys, it's clearly pointed out in many Episodes, that Milky Way and Pegasus Gates have a unique Symol as POO vor every Stargate. An explanation and the POO-Symbols for several Gates are here:
                        http://stargate.wikia.com/wiki/Point_of_origin

Comment

Originally posted by escyos View Post
                          So when they used that gate at the SGC? What? It just magically changed!?

Yeah I didn't think so, maybe do some research before you assume that one little exception is the rule.
                          What about the obvious reason? It was still the same prop at the SGC set. Such mistakes happen all the time, like the dialling computer showing the address to Abydos despite the fact that they were dialling a completely different planet. Do you assume the address magically changed? Of course not. Since it was never stated otherwise, I presume the point of origin was the symbol shown in "Solitudes".

Another problem is that off-world gates regularly use normal glyphs as point of origins, like the Icarus gate for example. Only few gates really had a unique point of origin, like Abydos or the planet in "The Gamekeeper". The prop department obviously didn't design a unique symbol for every planet they visited. But by that logic, some adresses could not be dialled by such a gate, since the symbols in any Stargate adress are non-repeating. There is no obvious solution to that problem. I simply assume that in-universe, every gate has a unique point of origin.

At the end, it's just a TV show made by people, and sometimes people make mistakes. Of course, you can believe what you want, but I assume it is very difficult to construct a logical system with all the inconsistencies in the show.
                          sigpic

Comment

You are all WRONG! The Stargates are the ones with the unique point of origin, it's the DHD, the DHD is the one with the unique point of origin.

Comment

Thankfully I always miss those little details and can enjoy the story a lot more without knowing those tiny goofs.
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Egle01 View Post
                                Thankfully I always miss those little details and can enjoy the story a lot more without knowing those tiny goofs.
                                I envy you. These things always stay on my mind and I can't stop thinking about them
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X