No announcement yet.

Shield inconsistencies.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A suit of mesh armor will protect you from a major strike from the edge of a sword.
    A suit of mesh armor, when it is stabbed with a thinner more precise sword, the occupant dies.

When the ship flies through the sun, the shield protects from a major strike, the weapons fire subjects preasure to one location of the shield.
    We can as Earthlings, fire lasers that far exceed the temp of the sun, to a spot the size of a pin head.
    Same deal I am guessing.

Comment

Compare being in a star like being in mesh armour..
      ...stabbed on every square inch of your body with thin precise swords..

...that are on fire

...while being crushed by a freight train

...that is on fire

I think you are all underestimating the incredible forces you're subjected to when you're on the inside of a star. It's hard to argue the weapons of a fighter have more force and heat than the inside of a star does.

Those fighters are shooting blobs of energy, plasma or whatever at a rather specific spot of the shield. Those blobs might be powerfull, sure, but a star which is crushing down on every square inch of the shield with far more force, heat and pressure is a different matter entirely. A star isn't just a gigantic campfire you just walz through with flames scorching at you angrily, it's a ball of burning gas that's is collapsing in on itself, excerting so much pressure on its' core that it fuses atoms together. Very different from the weapons of a fighter.

I'd imagine the weapons of the fighters we've seen so far to work with heat and with the force of the shot slamming into the target.

But if what you are all saying is true, then what if a bigger ship fires its' weapons at destiny? Automatic collapse of the shield, with a lot of power foccused on a single spot?

The force on the shield will differ depending on how deep destiny dives in though. In Resurgence it looked like it was very near the edge, we could see the darkness of space. In Light it seemed to just dive straight in the middle.

Comment

Originally posted by The Destiny View Post
        Compare being in a star like being in mesh armour..
        ...stabbed on every square inch of your body with thin precise swords..

...that are on fire

...while being crushed by a freight train

...that is on fire

I think you are all underestimating the incredible forces you're subjected to when you're on the inside of a star. It's hard to argue the weapons of a fighter have more force and heat than the inside of a star does.

Those fighters are shooting blobs of energy, plasma or whatever at a rather specific spot of the shield. Those blobs might be powerfull, sure, but a star which is crushing down on every square inch of the shield with far more force, heat and pressure is a different matter entirely. A star isn't just a gigantic campfire you just walz through with flames scorching at you angrily, it's a ball of burning gas that's is collapsing in on itself, excerting so much pressure on its' core that it fuses atoms together. Very different from the weapons of a fighter.

I'd imagine the weapons of the fighters we've seen so far to work with heat and with the force of the shot slamming into the target.

But if what you are all saying is true, then what if a bigger ship fires its' weapons at destiny? Automatic collapse of the shield, with a lot of power foccused on a single spot?

The force on the shield will differ depending on how deep destiny dives in though. In Resurgence it looked like it was very near the edge, we could see the darkness of space. In Light it seemed to just dive straight in the middle.

Uh, the show is a science FICTION.
        Just because something is not 100% based in facts, does not mean it can not be in a sci FICTION show.
        My mesh armor analogy is meant to loosely explain why a laser beam will damage the shield, while a sun will not.
        You do realize even today we can exceed the temperature of the sun with laser beams...
        If you want a SCIENCE NON FICTION show, try ESSA broadcasts, they are firmly based on real science, and you will have trouble complaining about how real it might seem.

Comment

Don't get me wrong, I am a full SGU supporter and don't tend to complain about little issues or so-called 'glaring plotholes'. But in this thread people are trying to explain the OP's question using logic and because I believe there are indeed shield inconsistencies I try to debunk their arguments using logic to prove that there are inconsistencies.

Were we not to have discussions on the forum using logic, facts and reason then we could just as well answer every single question with "Because the writers said so. It's fiction." Now that would be boring and would not stimulate our intellegence.

also SGU is supposedly more realistic than it's predecessors

Comment

Okay here's an experiment you can do at home: take a nail and a piece of hard wood. First, push on the nail with your thumb. As hard as you can. In fact, put it on the floor and stand on it. (just imagine doing this part, and imagine you have some way of keeping it from falling over) Can you push the nail into the wood? Probably not. Even if you stand on it for an hour, I'd bet the nail won't go into the wood. Now, hit it with a hammer a couple of times.

See how different types of forces work differently?

Comment

Didn't the shuttle take a direct hit while docking (with no ill effect) but Colonel Young says fire only on my command then lets Destiny take 10 hits before opening fire? I guess that says the shuttle is in better shape/better shield than Destiny and that Young thinks a few mozzie bites are nothing to worry about - until consoles start exploding.
              sigpic
              Save Mallozzi's Mailbag!

Comment

we're looking at the wrong aspects here. We know the shields work because they work in the show. Instead lets focus on how they could work under the circumstances.

my idea is when the destiny is in the prescence of a extremely large gravitational field its shields get stronger as the force of gravitation has a proportionality (F= 1/(r^2)) so.. as it gets in the star its shield strength goes through the roof.

Comment

Originally posted by DannyJ View Post
                  The worst thing for me is who build a shield that after 4 or 5 hits causes consoles to explode. Seriously? I'm fed up of watching sci-fi shows where the shield seems to trigger **** loads of pyrotechnics inside.
                  Anyone who's ever watched star trek knows sparks mean danger, and iminent explosions, i expected to hear someone say " shields down to 50%" and so on.

Comment

The problem with the mass of the star argument is that we have no idea how deep into the star the ship flies. There is no denying that there is a lot of energy being released in a star, but it's simple fusion, when you get right down to it, and we've seen shields in the SG series handle nukes before. It's really not a huge stretch to believe that the shields can handle a star with out much problem. Factor in that the shields are never losing power when in the star, it makes it even more plausible.

Additionally, I think that the shields are taking far more than just a handful of shots at any given time when in combat, particularly in the last episode. There were dozens of those pods attacking the ship. Plus, the weapons are also in use, draining more power from a ship that has a power system we know isn't working anywhere near full capacity.

All that said, with just a simple glance, it looks like there is inconsistency, but that ignores a lot of things that can make the differing performance of the shields pretty plausible.
                    I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.

Comment

I think its about time a shield expert came aboard. These cuisinart powered shields need an upgrade.
                      sigpic
                      Save Mallozzi's Mailbag!

Comment

Depending on how deep the destiny dives into the star it's a bit like fighter weapons being high pressure water cannons and a dive into a star like being on the bottom of the ocean. Enormous pressure and it can implode even submarines.

Comment

Originally posted by Valos Cor View Post
                          we're looking at the wrong aspects here. We know the shields work because they work in the show. Instead lets focus on how they could work under the circumstances.

my idea is when the destiny is in the prescence of a extremely large gravitational field its shields get stronger as the force of gravitation has a proportionality (F= 1/(r^2)) so.. as it gets in the star its shield strength goes through the roof.
                          I was thinking of something similar.
                          I figured that Destiny must have some sort of anti-gravity drive so that it can fly in atmosphere, much like earth ships must have, given the fact that almost no ship is aerodynamic in the slightest. What if Destiny simply uses that to counter the effects of the star's gravity?

Comment

If I understand the wikipedia article about the sun http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sun a star is nothing that SG ships shouldn't be able to handle.
                            If I understand corrrectly 1 m^2 at the surface emits 2x10^7 W, so 1 Km ^2 at the surface = 2x10^13W = about 5 kton / Km^2, so the sun surface it is not worse than a primitive nuclear bomb detonated for each Km^2 every second. The density isn't a big problem unless you get deep into the sun and the fusion reactions even in the core are actually very few.

Comment

I've never seen them fly Destiny into a star upside down...

i.e. They always go in with a 'land' approach with the scoopers facing inward to the star.... I'm assuming that if they went in upside-down all the crew quarters would be exposed to the star's radiation and none of the scoopers would charge up... causing shield failure and the ship to go BOOM.

Comment

Plasma and laser weapons are actually hotter than the sun which in our case is only 6000k at the surface somebody did the math earlier last year I think? plus this sci fi suspend disbelief.

Comment

Working...
                                X