No announcement yet.

What is Rush up to?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

But he does want control of the ship/the mission. And I simply don't trust him. I think it would be much easier if we simply had one person in charge of the boat and people looking over his shoulder. Rush should simply be a cog in the machine, not the drive-shaft he is now.
    sigpic

SGU Continued....

Comment

Originally posted by Janus View Post
      But he does want control of the ship/the mission. And I simply don't trust him. I think it would be much easier if we simply had one person in charge of the boat and people looking over his shoulder. Rush should simply be a cog in the machine, not the drive-shaft he is now.
      He wants control of the ship because he believes it to be key to completing the mission. It doesn't help the mission for the crew to be scrounging for food constantly. Furthermore, he doesn't trust the crew to run the ship, because they don't know what they're doing. At least by himself, he can keep experimentation to a minimum.

Comment

It's pretty much summed up by his statements when they found that robot. He didn't want anyone else fiddling with it, because only he knows best how to go about things. And in that respect, he's pretty much right (although Eli will probably surpass him someday).

But yeah, he only wants control of the science team, so he can make choices on how to study the ship. He doesn't want command over the other civilians or military. He doesn't want to be bogged down in every single decision about ship. But it's funny that, even if they don't like him, they defer to him anyway; witness them turning to Rush to ask what they should do about that alien on the seeder ship. Seriously, it's like everyone else is a moron.

So yeah, hiding things so that no one else hurts themselves fiddling with things they don't understand, seems to be a pretty good idea. Of course, no one likes being told to sit in a corner and to keep their hands still, so I can understand the resentment.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaiphantom View Post
          False. He sat in the chair, which was a risk, regardless of what measures he may have took. It's not a matter of sacrifice with him; it's a matter of the best person for the job. He sees lives, including his own, in pure calculable numbers. He also took a sacrifice chance by jumping into the gate in Time. And he also took a risk playing Telford in Subversion. He realized that, while dangerous, he was the best person for the job.

It's really hard for you to understand his thought processes, isn't it? Because you don't think like him. And thus, everyone that thinks differently than you, must be a "bad guy" or disturbed somehow.

Here's another thought: Rush sat in the chair, thus taking the risk to find the clue to the master code. Rush's program finally used the clue to unlock the master code and the bridge. Ergo, the reward(the bridge) is Rush's alone. If someone else can break the code, they would have equal rights to the bridge.

Just an interesting thought exercise.
          You raise a lot of good points, especially over the way Rush views things. But, Young has to be able to see things in a similar way to - as the commanding officer of the military contingent on destiny, there are bound to be situations where he will have to send people into scenarios where they will be put at risk. He has to be able to view lives as calculable factors or he'd never be able to make the life and death decisions.

True, Rush found broke the master code to access destiny's bridge but, working on the assumption that only those who have the technical abilities to unlock the code, there are maybe three other people on Destiny who would be capable of getting there - Eli, Volker and Brody. But you know that if one of them gains access, either the military will know straight away (especially if it's Eli) or there will be another takeover... and there will definitely be more tension between military and civilian personnel.

the men cheered, the women fainted, the children waved multicoloured flags !!!!

Comment

The more i see of Rush the more i don't like him in a big way.

Rush has no right to be doing what he is doing... He is a Jack ass...Young won't turn the ship around. It doesn't take Einstien to figure out that they will not reach home by turning the ship around. Just think of the distance and how long it took Destiny to get out there in the first place.

The only hope for them to get home is to,

1. Complete the mission and see what's on the other end.
            2. Find and alternate power souce capable of powering the Gate.
            3. Fix the ships power supplies to dial the Gate.
            or
            4. Find and extremely advanced race willing to send the home.
            Young is not stupid, He knows this.

For Rush it is and always has been about being in control of the ship.
            He is a self absorbed pest. He is lucky young didn't just shoot him on that planet because that is what he deserved.

Rush has an ego the size of manhattan. He did not like it when Eli solved the puzzle to get them there in the first place. That is why he has not told anyone about the bridge yet.
            1. He wants to keep everyone in the dark so he can stay one step ahead of them.
            and
            2. He wants to be seen as the man who figured it all out.
            Like I said, Ego.

The minute he tells Young, Young is going to want everyone capable in there figuring out the ship and when that happens Rush looses his power.
            That is why he has not told anyone.

I am not covinced about the hallucinations, or ships AI. It is Quite a possibility that the Ancients are masquerading as those two to keep tabs on rush to make sure he does not Screw things up. I think they still have a vested interest in the project.

If I was Young I would put Rush Under Gaurd for the rest of the Mission to teach him a lesson.

Comment

He has been trying to gain control of the countdown clock so that they are not restricted to remaining out of FTL , by a planet for the limited time of 9 hours. This would be a great step in gaining some meaningful control of the ship
              Abbas Karimjee
              www.abbaskarimjee.wordpress.com
              The latest Stargate Atlantis, SG1 , Universe , movies and the future of Stargate news.

Comment

I look at it from a civilian mindset. Half the crew are civilians and traditionally our military takes orders from its civilian government. Everyone is stranded on that ship with no way of getting home and slowly losing their sanity in the process. As the ship keeps heading further and further away from Earth we are going to see more and more crew losing it.

Enforced military rule is not the american way of living. If Young finds the bridge he will take over it just like he has taken over the rest of the ship. He has his little pet Eli and a few others like Brody and Park to do his bidding.

If Camille Wray's mutiny had succeded and civilians ran the ship with military taking orders from them I have no doubt Rush would have showed everyone the bridge already.

Comment

Yes, She was seen at the consoles but I think it might be for a different reason we dont know yet. We know that Rush was at the Bridge trying to learn to manipulate the FTL clock to gain control of the jumps and how long the ship stayed out, which is pretty useful to him if he masters it. I think thats what the FTL jump situation was about. Chloe's situation I think might surface further down the line.

Comment

Originally posted by Lainier View Post
                    Anyway, remember that Chloe will help him now! Be ready for the worst...
                    Uhgggg, female drivers...

(I kid, I kid)

-----

It depends on what legal book you throw at him. From a certain POV, he's responsible for taking hostages millions of miles from home. Had he not done that he couldn't be held responsible for Spencer commiting suicide, the shuttle crashing, Chloe's non-cure cure, that whole LA thing killing so many of the crew. And tons of other could be war crimes that he IS (however indirectly) responsible for.

-----

I don't know where you get this civilian leadership thing. All of our formal leaders are just legs of the same big government. And from a certain POV part of the military. With the President being the big chief. Command in Chief. Head of the military. The highest ranking OFFICER (of the military) in the nation. The President might have a slightly different rule book to live by, but he's still a part of the military. Which makes him NOT-a-civilian.

-----

While I think some concealment is needed to understand the systems BEFORE people start pushing buttons. With all of the morale issues in season one, you'd think that letting everyone know this little detail (for the good of the crew) would be desired. As opposed to trying to hide it by messing with the drive system. In such a way to try to conceal that he's messing with the drive system. Which makes Rush more of a dictator than Young could ever dream of being.

Comment

I'd be funny as hell if Rush framed Chloe for the FTL drop outs, then it turns out that Chloe was actually responsible for some of them.

Comment

And resources!

Comment

Originally posted by morsu View Post
                          I am not covinced about the hallucinations, or ships AI. It is Quite a possibility that the Ancients are masquerading as those two to keep tabs on rush to make sure he does not Screw things up. I think they still have a vested interest in the project.
                          While in some ways it woud suck if they went back to ancients, that is one possibility. Heck it still follows their non interference as they are doing thigs in a way HE finds it out on his own.

Comment

Originally posted by Shai Hulud View Post
                            What exactly could Rush do about Chloe's metamorphosis? Other than putting a bullet through her teenage mutant blueberry brain?
                            Tell the others..

I'd be funny as hell if Rush framed Chloe for the FTL drop outs, then it turns out that Chloe was actually responsible for some of them.
                            It would be funny.

Comment

Originally posted by pipi View Post
                              Indeed
                              sigpic

SGU Continued....

Comment

rush is clearly wrong

-he's got some good people on there whom he can at least trust not to push buttons if he tells them not to push them
                                -eli is apparantly a mathgod
                                -earth could bring in experts to help
                                -young is the commanding officer and should be kept in the loop, he made mistakes and is a bad commander in many aspects but since he has no knowledge of technical matters he would trust rush and the other scientists unconditionally, especially if assisted by earth experts

rush is just a little kid/dog that found a shiny toy/bone and doesn't want to share
                                I'm an average viewer. As plain as they come. People make TV shows based on my demographic.

Million's of ZPM's, ZPM's for free! Millions of ZPM's, ZPM's for me!

Comment

Working...
                                X