Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Destiny's True Mission vs Stargate Seeding...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The primary reason would be to stop for supplies.
    Abbas Karimjee
    www.abbaskarimjee.wordpress.com
    The latest Stargate Atlantis, SG1 , Universe , movies and the future of Stargate news.

Comment

I think that the reason why the Destiny-class gates have limited range and with no DHD-type device around it is due to the fact that there could be possible hostile life on the planet that could jeapordize the mission. So the idea was to put a lower class of gate first and then follow up with a much more advanced version.

My theory is that the Milky Way gates were the original gates the Ancients built (since the Antrartica gate is said to be about 50 million years old) but the Ancients decided to seed other galaxies with the "lite" version first before following up later.

It's known that the Destiny started off from Earth and onto Pegasus and then onto the rest of the universe, so I believe that Destiny shot straight for Pegasus and seeded it with the Destiny-style gates before the Ancients later updated it with the Pegasus-type gates.

Comment

Originally posted by ThePlut View Post
        I think the "message" and the Stargates are linked at a fundamental level. Stargate technology is based on the idea of virtually instantaneous communication between two extremely distant points in the universe in order to connect a source and destination. As distance increases, so do power requirements. But what if it's not really a wormhole, but a network that's being accessed by the Stargates, one that links the whole universe together, every point.

My thinking is that may be what cause the original split between the Alterans and the Ori, the discovery of this message and what it meant led to the development of the communication stones (ability to sent a consciousness a vast distance virtually instantaneously). What this message meant (technological origin vs. higher power/religion) led to the split.

Later, the Alterans advanced the stone technology to the movement of people and objects between source and destination, at the cost of tremendous power, a brute force method of accessing this network.

This message contains the information to access this universal network and how to use it. Destiny and the seeders were launched to discover the rest of the message by accessing this network throughout the universe, gaining information about it. When enough of the message is known, it will provide the ability to link the whole universe via the stargates with a less "brute force" method than simple power demands...
        Hm.. That is not only a novel idea, but a very intestering/plausable one.

I'd like to think Destiny limits range to conserve power more than anything else. Especially since it's storage capacity has degraded so bad.
        So if it was not degraded they wouldn't have issues dialing back to earth?

Comment

Its been stated that Destiny is only operating on 40% of total reserves.

N.c

Comment

Originally posted by Nth Chevron View Post
            Its been stated that Destiny is only operating on 40% of total reserves. N.c
            I believe that came out wrong from you. The power reserves are charged at 40% of designed total capacity.
            sigpic
            - SteamID user since 2005 -- you can add me - visit steam translation server brazil @ Steelbox

Comment

If you were trying to analyze a signal emenating from the source of the universe and if we agree that the big bang occurred everywhere all at once. We might surmise that you'd need an antenna equally disperse. The stargates ability to instantly connect points in space might in some way serve as that antenna.

Comment

Originally posted by beafly View Post
                If you were trying to analyze a signal emenating from the source of the universe and if we agree that the big bang occurred everywhere all at once. We might surmise that you'd need an antenna equally disperse. The stargates ability to instantly connect points in space might in some way serve as that antenna.
                problem with that is that the gates cannot intergalacticaly connect. Or a similair technology like the stones (signalwise) is build in them

Comment

Originally posted by wolverine_nl View Post
                  problem with that is that the gates cannot intergalacticaly connect. Or a similair technology like the stones (signalwise) is build in them
                  Or maybe that's the whole idea. Each gate is given the task to "guard" a certain portion of space to prevent too much overlap.
                  On a local scale, overlapping issues could be ironed out easily but as it expands to an intergalactic scale, the difficulty would increase exponentially..

Comment

I was under the impression that Destiny's gate is fully capable of dialing back to Earth. The degraded condition of the ship is what's stopping it. The first attempt to dial back failed because Destiny's power storage cells are only functioning at 40% capacity. The second was because the power conduits, hull, and shields of the ship were so damaged they couldn't handle dialing while in the sun. The third attempt only failed because the aliens on the seeder ship stopped the power transfer to Destiny.

Going to Destiny was never meant to be a one way or one shot trip for the Ancients. They probably planed to have regular supply drops from the MW via the Stargate making the whole seeder gate ship thing a plot hole.

This begs the question, just how much energy are Destiny's power cells able to hold? It takes a whole planet worth of Naquata to get to Destiny but one seeder ship has the power to send them back? Does that mean this one seeder ship has more power than a three ZPM'd Atlantis?

Comment

There's no guarantee that Destiny could dial Earth now even at 100%. We don't know how much 40% is in reference to the needed power requirements. Dialling Earth in a star could also blow up the ship even at full power if it takes too much energy away from the recharging shields.

A seed ship holds that kind of power because you need it to run a gate factory, create their power sources, etc.

Incidentally, there's also no proof that it wasn't meant to be a one-way trip for even the Ancients. They may have been ok with the idea.

Comment

I have to agree with Nth that it's unlikey the Ancients would want to board Destiny on a one-way trip...
                        Last edited by PantheraLeo; 22 November 2010, 08:41 PM. Reason: spelling issues...

Comment

Originally posted by morbosfist View Post
                          Incidentally, there's also no proof that it wasn't meant to be a one-way trip for even the Ancients. They may have been ok with the idea.
                          Originally posted by Air Part 2
                          INT—GATE ROOM

[Riley studies a console. Several people, including Young and Greer, wander the room.]

RILEY
                          Sir, I think I got it. It wasn't even that hard to find, it's right here in the dialing program.

YOUNG
                          You're sure?

RILEY
                          Yes, it's an eight-symbol address.

GREER
                          You mean you can dial this thing back to Earth?
                          The Ancients did plan on coming home.

Comment

Originally posted by Nth View Post
                            The Ancients did plan on coming home.
                            That proves nothing. Just because they had Earth in the computer does not mean they intended to be able to come home whenever they wanted.

Comment

Originally posted by morbosfist View Post
                              That proves nothing. Just because they had Earth in the computer does not mean they intended to be able to come home whenever they wanted.
                              That is a straw man argument. No one ever suggested they could dial home whenever they wanted. I was proving that it wasn't intended to be a one way mission by the Ancients as you suggested in a previous post. Having an 8+1 digit address for Earth in the dialing program shows that not only did the Ancients plan to dial home but with a 9 digit power hungry across the universe address.

If the ship wasn't capable of this why have the address in the program? Why not a 7 or 8 digit address since those would actually work for a while? Even if it was included for posterity the Ancients with all of their safety protocols would have put a lock out on it if the ship wasn't suppose to be able to dial it. Riley just pushes the speed dial button and the gate starts spinning.

That along with Rush, Eli, or any of the other scientists ever saying that it wasn't possible makes for pretty convincing evidence to me.

Comment

I don't understand one thing, if these gates don't have that much power like gates in MW/Pegasus, why do they still have all 9 chevrons ? They build it with all chevrons, so there must be way to dial back to Earth or anywhere else.

Comment

Working...
                                X