Math Chick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kaiphantom View Post
    I don't get the sense that the writers are deliberately making her this way. Instead, it feels more like the actor isn't asking for enough for her character. Much like Chloe, the actor needs to step up and say, "Hey, I think my character should be shown standing up and doing more on the ship" instead of continually being a helpless damsel in distress. It's pretty much insulting to the character and women in general.
    And how do you know Elyse hasn't done this? Or how do you know the writers would even bother, given the amount of other actors who probably also want more character involvement?

It seems extremely strange that you've just jumped to this conclusion about the actress herself with zero evidence. For a while now I've understood where your grievance with Chloe lies, but this is a whole new level...one which I think is insulting to the actress, and one which I certainly don't understand.

Additionally, this thread once again screams "Chloe just cannot win" to me. People wanted her to be useful, but then they don't like it that her usefulness comes in the form of alien experimentation? Goalpost moving, much? *sigh*
    Sig by Pandora's Box
    sigpic

Comment

No, it's when you have an ensemble cast, one character really and truly shouldn't overshadow them all.

That's one reason why people get so annoyed with Characters like Wesley from TNG or Lana Lang from Smallville.

With this alien modification thing, some people are just wary of her becoming an overpowered character. And if she can do all this then why have the other characters on the show at all?

Chloe is just the Damsel in distress and so far doesn't really serve to fill in a niche to complement the ensemble/team. She isn't even the voice of morality for the team. She's not even plucky comedy relief. She's just there to cause trouble.

She's a nice person, and an attractive girl, but in terms of the show's metaplot, even if there is one, she has no real purpose to her character being there.

When a character's part of a team, their skills should fill a niche and complement the other members. Not overshadow them.

And right now that's the danger we seem to face that Chloe might, in the long term, be turned into a GodModeSue.

In an ensemble/team show, you should have some sort of balance and all members should be able to contribute something.

Comment

Originally posted by Coronach View Post
        And how do you know Elyse hasn't done this? Or how do you know the writers would even bother, given the amount of other actors who probably also want more character involvement?

It seems extremely strange that you've just jumped to this conclusion about the actress herself with zero evidence. For a while now I've understood where your grievance with Chloe lies, but this is a whole new level...one which I think is insulting to the actress, and one which I certainly don't understand.

Additionally, this thread once again screams "Chloe just cannot win" to me. People wanted her to be useful, but then they don't like it that her usefulness comes in the form of alien experimentation? Goalpost moving, much? *sigh*
        You would be reading things into my statement that I didn't say, then. I only said "I get the sense" rather than "This is the way it is and here's all the proof." I didn't state it as a fact, when you're treating it like I did.

And what makes me feel this way? Nothing too concrete, really. Just the things the actress says in interviews, how she behaves, which give me a feeling that she is just letting the writers determine her character, rather than adapting to it and deciding on her own, "Hey, I actually think Chloe would do this instead." Some actors do this, and some don't. It's not a good or a bad thing, so much as a difference of opinion.

I can't speak for everyone else, but I wanted to see her usefulness come from the character itself; her thoughts, dreams, hopes, motivations, etc. I have given her some props for being useful in deciding to do those equations (with some prodding from Rush). But this kinda feels like they just needed a body that wasn't otherwise being used, in order to fit the "turning into an alien" plot on.

It would be as if they removed the brain of one character and plugged in a computer brain instead, and now the person was really useful... except it really wasn't the person itself, just the computer brain doing all the work.

In short, chill. We can all state our opinions here without people like you jumping down the throat of someone who thinks differently than you do. I think you're better than that.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaiphantom View Post
          You would be reading things into my statement that I didn't say, then. I only said "I get the sense" rather than "This is the way it is and here's all the proof." I didn't state it as a fact, when you're treating it like I did.
          Great! Glad to see you wouldn't state something like that as fact, though I still am baffled as to why this would be a decently remote possibility to you, though you do admit that it's nothing concrete. That said, we've disagreed on enough stuff in the past that perhaps it shouldn't be surprising.

I can't speak for everyone else, but I wanted to see her usefulness come from the character itself; her thoughts, dreams, hopes, motivations, etc. I have given her some props for being useful in deciding to do those equations (with some prodding from Rush). But this kinda feels like they just needed a body that wasn't otherwise being used, in order to fit the "turning into an alien" plot on.

It would be as if they removed the brain of one character and plugged in a computer brain instead, and now the person was really useful... except it really wasn't the person itself, just the computer brain doing all the work.
          I'd agree with you if her personality was completely different from this (i.e. imagine something similar to the stone technology). However, Chloe made it very clear in this last episode that she's starting to feel in control of what is happening to her brain. Sure, this may not be the case (i.e. the blank stare when she was at the controls), or perhaps she has yet to harness it fully. Perhaps more time will show us that these changes are not actually changing Chloe's personality so much as they're changing a given skill set.

In short, chill. We can all state our opinions here without people like you jumping down the throat of someone who thinks differently than you do. I think you're better than that.
          Yikes! Chill? People like me? Whatever way you interpreted my post, I assure you it wasn't meant as an attack. Reading my post once more, I don't really see me jumping down your throat. Sorry if it came across that way.
          Sig by Pandora's Box
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Pharaoh Atem View Post
            Ginn was math girl. Chole is mrs smurf
            Why did she have to die?
            Originally posted by jelgate View Post
            Actually the Chloe alien arc is getting a little drawn out. I would like something to finally happen
            I do hope something happens in the next episode or two. Perhaps she gets her hands on the bridge again and causes all sorts of problems that lead them to some sort of discovery.
            By Nolamom
            sigpic

Comment

It all seemed a bit contrived writing to me. suddenly at the exact moment they need the help.
              "here she comes to save the day, Mighty Mouse is on her way"
              But I suppose it had to be written that way.
              no means no, and so does pepper spray
              Sig by The Carpenter
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Girlbot View Post
                It all seemed a bit contrived writing to me. suddenly at the exact moment they need the help.
                "here she comes to save the day, Mighty Mouse is on her way"
                But I suppose it had to be written that way.
                No less contrived than on some other things I've seen on Stargate. Same writers, I suppose, so it's a given. But I can safely call Chloe somewhat developed in her way - alien presence in her head, slowly gaining higher intelligence in mathematics and the like because of it, and then just using that knowledge. But I think the storyline, drawn out of no, will be ended by episode eleven or so. Let's just hope it's not too Deus Ex-y.
                ~ When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take back the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN! ~

~ Burning people! He says what we're all thinking! ~

Comment

They did need to do something to show that she has no control over her...condition. But yeah, it seemed like too much of a good thing. But Stargate is known for this...bad habits die hard.
                  By Nolamom
                  sigpic

Comment

Well, I think the point about her purpose on the show is well made, that being that it is a bit fuzzy at the moment. At first glance, one would say that her purpose was to bring an alternative, young, non-technically minded viewpoint to the problems on the ship, but as the stories currently pan out, she doesn't get much opportunity to do that. The one time that stands out where her character was "well written" was Young's trial where she brought her integrity to bear on the situation. Unfortunately, this play on alien dna has somewhat served to isolate her from the crew which makes the moments where she does show up kind of like a rabbit out of the hat. Perhaps the writers would consider having her later become (post-alien infection) a close assistant to Wray, letting her opinions and thoughts have a more tangible effect on the story through Wray who is a woman with a well weighted input to the decision making process.

Comment

Originally posted by Coronach View Post
                      I'd agree with you if her personality was completely different from this (i.e. imagine something similar to the stone technology). However, Chloe made it very clear in this last episode that she's starting to feel in control of what is happening to her brain. Sure, this may not be the case (i.e. the blank stare when she was at the controls), or perhaps she has yet to harness it fully. Perhaps more time will show us that these changes are not actually changing Chloe's personality so much as they're changing a given skill set.
                      With the way it's being done, it doesn't bother me 100%; it's just that I wanted her to assume a different role under her own skills. Something that would make me say, "Yeah, she's a member of the team and she helps complete them!" Right now, she's just.... there. As someone said earlier, she might have been pretty good as a morality pet (Ra knows this crew could use one, heh) or a mediator of disputes or something. Just my own feelings, though. I really hope they don't hang her character on "alien super-Chloe." At least Carter had other skills to get by on.

But as you noted, it's hard to tell how much there is actually Chloe, or whether it's whatever alien influence she's under.

Anyway, I can accept you didn't mean to sound like you were jumping down a throat. I apologize for interpreting it that way and saying as much, if it wasn't your intent.

Comment

I doubt Chloe could fill any type of position other than what she holds now, from what we've seen, she isnt strong willed enough to stand up for morality on the ship, even Wray couldnt do that completely and Wray would wipe the floor with Chloe in a pissing match.

When she gets nervous, she drinks, so putting her on the spot wont do much good.

She's just the young college girl look-a-like whose there to rope younger guys in, they only gave her the alien transformation because she was doing jack ****, aside from jacking Scott and being Eli's kryptonite.

I've been intrigued by the actual arc Chloe is on though, and i would mind finding out what will happen by its end.

N.C

Comment

Originally posted by JustAnotherVoice View Post
                          They heard the fanbase whine, and they gave her something to do (that isn't Scott).
                          I'm sure they planned this all along.
                          "Most people who are watching TV are semi-catatonic. They're not fully alive." - U.S. District Court Judge Timothy Batten Sr.
                          Ronald Greer is also a medic. Your argument is invalid.
                          Originally posted by J-Whitt Remastered
                          Secondly, I think that everything DigiFluid is good.
                          Sandcastle Builder: The game of XKCD: Time

Comment

Originally posted by Galileo_Galilee View Post

That's one reason why people get so annoyed with Characters like Wesley from TNG or Lana Lang from Smallville.
                            Huh, well I guess I was one of the few who enjoyed Wesley and Lana Lang. Chloe has become useful in more ways she was before, many people complained she was a useless character. I don't see how people can still think that now.

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                              Actually the Chloe alien arc is getting a little drawn out. I would like something to finally happen
                              def i liked her as the female daniel jackson last season. smurf chloe is boring
                              https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Chloe was established from the beginning as a "basically pointless on the ship fish out of water" so something had to happen and, personally, I'm really enjoying that something. A significant difference to SG1's Bane and SGA's Conversion is that it was a deliberate act by the blueberries, so her metamorphosis takes on a much more sinister aspect. It's not just that she can't help herself, but nobody knows whether, at any given time, she's helping the aliens. It's creepy, in a good way.

I like the way it's being dealt with - the A plot action takes up most of the screen time, the B plot does its thing, but there, lurking in the background, is this thing continuing to develop. It would feel slow if they focussed on it, but they don't so I'm content to have it play out in snippets here and there.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X