No announcement yet.

SGU without Chloe...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wish Gin was really a Tok'ra and they would hybridize her with Gin's symbiote that "survived" the attack somehow. That would give her the perfect out to be less ... bed warmer... and more of a multidimensional character.

She seems to be a good actress it's just getting old to see how she'll sleep with Matt in this weeks episode.

Tim

Comment

Originally posted by SG1Commander View Post
      With all the talk of Chloe being a secondary character, I'm surprised people aren't mentioning one important fact. If Chloe hadn't had the idea of putting that puzzle into the video game that Eli was playing; the Eli wouldn't have solved the power problem and they probably never would've gotten to Destiny. Granted that can be seen both ways; if Eli hadn't solved the problem then Rush wouldn't have had the opportunity to strand 80+ people on the other side of the universe
      This fact doesn't change the point that she, in her current iteration, gets very little screen time, character development or interesting plot lines. Chloe putting the puzzle into the game just fits her into the greater mythos, much like Ernest being the first moderm man through the gate, or Peter Grodin being an "expert" (at the time) on drone tech.

Then again, I'm loathed to call half the main credits "primary characters", but even when you compare Chloe to other "secondary primary characters" like Greer, Scott, TJ or Wray, Chloe just seems to get much less of everything. So far this season, she's lucky if she's had 15 mins of meaningful screentime in total.

Not meaning to Chloe bash, but for all intents and purposes, she is a secondary character: two steps above Becker, one above James (James gets more screentime, but Chloe is involved in a major arc), but below Park, Volker and Brody who are in the thick of it all, and have been consistently.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaemal View Post
        She has become more interesting with her slow transformation but she still isn't the most exciting person on Destiny.

I really would like to see the end of her relationship with Scott since this has gotten rather old and I feel she is dragging down Scott somewhat.
        It wouldn' surprise me if scott has already dumpped her.

But still, she could be shown helping out, by learning new skills, or watering plants or something. Eventually, especially after Justice and Divided, I would have liked to see her become more a mediator for disputes. She's a civilian with a military boyfriend; thus she has both aspects. The disagreements on the ship are political in a small scale, and that is something that Chloe should be familiar with.

So start mediating disputes.

Stick up for people who aren't your boyfriend.

Get yourself involved in the discussion meetings.

Become an attache for Wray, possibly handle some psych evaluations in place of TJ(or assist her in them).
        The bolded ones are to me, the better ones she could have gotten into..

With all the talk of Chloe being a secondary character, I'm surprised people aren't mentioning one important fact. If Chloe hadn't had the idea of putting that puzzle into the video game that Eli was playing; the Eli wouldn't have solved the power problem and they probably never would've gotten to Destiny. Granted that can be seen both ways; if Eli hadn't solved the problem then Rush wouldn't have had the opportunity to strand 80+ people on the other side of the universe
        HU?? I don't remember it being her..

I'd rather see how it plays out before judging it.
        Agreed. At the mo we still don't know
        Is she chaning into one
        Is she under their control
        Is she gaining control of it?

Comment

I like that they are taking their time with Chloe, it makes it not only more realistic but also more menacing knowing that she could either be a ticking time bomb or a savior in disguise.
          Its also good to finally see an alien conversion not take an episode to develop then disappear with the final shot of the episode being a fully healed Chloe saying something like "a few more days in bed and they say I'll be 100%", yeah right you just transformed into an alien you can't cure it like a cold. I've had paper cuts which have took longer to heal!
          sigpic
          Banner Made By Me for Me
          The Red Team proudly supports Stargate: Universe, Suck it Blue

Comment

I wouldn't call myself anti-Chloe at all. I like Elyse Levesque and I hope she gets screen time. However, I do think TPTB have written themselves into a corner with her character. She's a civilian that doesn't really bring any skills to the table, unlike Eli, Rush, Volker, or the other scientists. As such, she can't serve a specific function on a what's essentially a military vessel.
            1. "Justice"- She defends Young in a trial.
            2. "Space"- She's captured by aliens. That's a great opportunity for character development.
            3. "Human"- She reveals that she has studied Dr. Jackson's work.
            4. "Lost"- It is revealed that she understand the Smurf language, or at least writings.
            5. "Pathogen"- A major Chloe arc which I suspect to have a huge impact on the main arc starts. You see, I don't think the Blues are the ones changing her. Her skin is turning grey, not blue. Most likely the writers are intentionally misleading us. I think it's the Planet Builders, partly because it began in "Intervention". And, I suspect they are the same as the Big Bang aliens.

Comment

Originally posted by Aewon View Post
              I am pretty sure that was pure BS to get to go out to the planet.

Comment

Originally posted by Aewon View Post
                1. "Justice"- She defends Young in a trial.
                2. "Space"- She's captured by aliens. That's a great opportunity for character development.
                4. "Lost"- It is revealed that she understand the Smurf language, or at least writings.
                5. "Pathogen"- A major Chloe arc which I suspect to have a huge impact on the main arc starts. You see, I don't think the Blues are the ones changing her. Her skin is turning grey, not blue. Most likely the writers are intentionally misleading us. I think it's the Planet Builders, partly because it began in "Intervention". And, I suspect they are the same as the Big Bang aliens.
                With the exception of Justice, all of her development has come from an alien taking over Chloe, ie, it's not Chloe developing, but the alien. In a sense, you're saying that "Wow, look at that alien development! It's pretty impressive!" Chloe still isn't doing much.

And as someone pointed out, it was highly likely that she was just BS'ing in "Human" to go to the planet. Remember, Chloe loves to go to nice planets; every time she's wanted to go, it's been a fairly nice one (at least as far as they could tell at first). Time, Faith, Human. I don't blame her, because I'd like to get off the ship and visit a nice planet to stretch my legs from time to time, too.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaiphantom View Post
                  And as someone pointed out, it was highly likely that she was just BS'ing in "Human" to go to the planet.
                  Can't you see that the development is her pushing to be included in mission and make herself useful. She gained off world experience and in fact did help during the mission. If she did indeed read Jackson reports, its even better.

There's no characters on TV/movie who are just ordinary people to which nothings happens. There's always something happening to them and seeing how they react to it and the plot development is what make the story.

SGU is about a group of people thrown in another galaxy in an ancient ship with no ability to get back to earth. Thats the first event happening to them. We watch their reactions to it. Same as we see, at a snail pace but still, Chloe facing this difficult situation with her transformation and her rejection by the crew. It could have happened to Scott but it happened to her. Hopefully, the writers have a lot of plot development for her and she won't just be a girl who can solve formulas for another 4 episodes.
                  Currently watching: Dark Matter, 12 Monkeys, Doctor Who, Under the Dome, The Mentalist, The Messengers, The Last Ship, Elementary, Dominion, The Whispers, Extant, Olympus, Da Vinci's Demons, Vikings

Comment

I don't think Eli was being intentionally angry with Chloe when she first called. He was already trying to throw himself into his work to bury his grief. And the fact that the work needed to be done. Trying to have a therapy session over a radio was a distraction when he could afford any distractions. It was really bad timing on Chloe's part but she had no realistic way of knowing that it was a bad time.

On the issue of the speed of her transformation, it depends on how long they draw it out. The single episode plots were the focus of the episode, they also had much better resources to call on during those episodes. Hopefully there will be a mess hall discussion between TJ and Scott in an upcoming episode discussing what the experts on Earth that used the communication stones to examine Chloe and TJ's research think on the matter. If there is any caring about saving Chloe then we know they have called on some people at some point. Hopefully they won't be dragging it out too much longer, it would make a nice mid-season cliff hanger plot point.

Comment

Originally posted by Commander Zelix View Post
                      Can't you see that the development is her pushing to be included in mission and make herself useful. She gained off world experience and in fact did help during the mission. If she did indeed read Jackson reports, its even better.
                      When you have proof of this, feel free to present. In the meantime, the rest of us will deal with reality.

Comment

Originally posted by MechaThor View Post
                        I like that they are taking their time with Chloe, it makes it not only more realistic but also more menacing knowing that she could either be a ticking time bomb or a savior in disguise.
                        Its also good to finally see an alien conversion not take an episode to develop then disappear with the final shot of the episode being a fully healed Chloe saying something like "a few more days in bed and they say I'll be 100%", yeah right you just transformed into an alien you can't cure it like a cold. I've had paper cuts which have took longer to heal!
                        THIS!

That is all, carry on.

Comment

Up to Space I would be the first to call for tossing her out the nearest airlock but...from Space Onwards she has kind of grer on me a lot right through to the Season Ender, First half of Season 2 though so far she's been kinda meh again so I'm going to go with the writers woefully under using her (Other than something to hang off Matts Arm). This "Infestation" of Blue-Smurf Goo is going at a glacial pace I'll say.

I'd still prefer they kept Gin around though.
                          sigpic

Comment

The show needs more girls not less. If they replaced Chloe with someone hotter, I'd be fine by me too.

Comment

Chloe was great, comon man. plus Eli will chase after her again, just watch.
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by pipi View Post
                                The show needs more girls not less. If they replaced Chloe with someone hotter, I'd be fine by me too.
                                They've practically replaced her, with the lovely Jennifer Spence, already. Dr. Park went from a background scientist last season to being a bona fide member of the go-to geek squad. Chloe on the other hand, went from being a "main credit" to "glorified day player" as the show has evolved.

More than anything, I wish SGU would cut their main cast down to what it practically is, rather than what it theoretically should be. Starring Robert Carlyle and Luis Ferreira, Also starring David Blue and B.J. Smith, with lots of "Special Guest Appearances" from Ming Na and LDP. It seems like everyone else is lucky to get any air time at all, when you factor in how much face time the geek squad and other day players get, so why build expectations as TJ, Greer or Chloe as "main characters"?

Don't get me wrong, everyone on the roster has put in some good work, but there are times when I feel anyone who isn't working directly with Rush or Young is a glorified extra with a speaking line, if they've behaved themselves.

Comment

Working...
                                X