X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by xxxevilgrinxxx View Post
    [con't]

You'd be shot, and your people'd still be sent to the planet, only without their leader.

One thing I have come to learn from watching SGU is that not only are there are no cookie-cutter heroes but that there is more than one hero, more than one leader and more than one way to lead. When one falls, others step forward.

Scott, Young, Rush and Varro have all shone here, in differing ways. Scott, with Greer, manages to circumvent the LA forces, first by surviving the deadly radiation burst outside on the hull and later through stealth and his knowledge of the ship. The events of "Divided" went a long way towards showing the Destiny crew how to survive a takeover of their ship, to be flexible enough to change plans as events on the ground change. Having been trained under Young's wing, I credit a good deal of this ability to Young himself.

It would be all too easy to dismiss Young as a terrible leader but in Intervention, as the last act of the story arc from Subversion through the Incursions, I see a leader that has had to change his plans on the ground with very little warning. Often with less support and even less knowledge. He has had to gamble a good deal of the time and if he's made errors, it's because he gambled wrong. Then again, if the LA were truly meant to be on Destiny, which I believe, then having them stay alive becomes a matter of fate and perhaps it's not solely in Young's hands. In any case, like trusting in Brody to allow Telford's brainwashing to be broken, or trusting Telford to enact his part of the plan that would send the ship's controls back to Rush, who also had to be trusted, Young has to trust once more in an unlikely source. He has to trust in Varro, a man he has every reason to distrust, even more so than Telford.
    Ironically, you did a great job for showing exactly why Young is a bad leader, and it's summed up with that quote above. He's come to believe that no one else can survive without him, that no one else is as good a leader as him. A real leader considers the people first, and if he could have taken down Dannic, there's a chance everyone else would have been saved. At the least, if he was paying attention, he would have noticed how crazy Dannic is compared to the rest. Taking the crazy guy out raises the survival rate for the rest of your crew.

It's almost a strange dichotomy, from Young trying to sacrifice himself to save everyone by plugging the leak, to him insisting he's in charge no matter what. As long as he's alive, he wants to be the boss; but deep down he wants to take the easy way out by dying. Partially at least, he seems to have dampened his suicidal tendencies, but it's clear he possesses a big sense of self-importance while he is alive.

He seems to utterly lack any logical decision making capabilities whatsoever, which is something that should be drilled into every military person who goes on to command. He's driven more by emotion, which is normal for humans, but military officers should be much different. I really have to question how he even got this far; it seems like he's forgotten practically everything about how to be a commanding military officer.

Anyway, on a different topic, I think I have a guess about the ship and what's so important. Bsaed on this episode, the Ancients saw to the edge of the universe... where matter is being created, expanding outward, and it seems to be the work of intelligence (most likely the Faith entities). In terms of SG themes, they may be as close to real gods as you can get, closer than the ascended Ancients and the Ori themselves. So the Ancients sent out Destiny to reach the edge of the universe to literally meet the ones creating the universe itself.

Comment

Him getting shot in that situation would make him a bad leader. If he kills Varro, then that's one less sane guy to balance Dannic out. His crew likely would have just been shot. Varro was totally right in that situation.

Incidentally, matter isn't (or shouldn't be) created at the end of the universe. All matter started at the Big Bang, and has just been spreading out from there.

Comment

Originally posted by Kelara View Post
        Also probably because no one does take Scott really serious as "leader", so far. He's been too much much on Young's heels last season (for my taste) to be looked to for leadership. Maybe if he continues the path he seems to be on: to grow out of Young's shadow. Plus, Scott would have sacrificed himself with the others, so he's got the "martyr" vibe about the decision, contrary to Rush, who is quite safe either way.
        It would do well imo to scott's character to grow out of Young's shadow..

Evilgrin.. rather than pasting and commenting all i will say is

WOW.. Big +1

Comment

I thought this was a good solid start to the second season.

Well Varro did redeem himself a little in my eyes with his actions but I think it'll be a long time before Young and TJ can forgive him for his part in his people killing TJ's baby. I personally would have put the remaining LA who followed that other crazy guy through the gate to that planet that they dumped Young and the others on

So Chloe's leg wound healed? I wonder what that's all about? Did those blue aliens do something to her? I hope TPTB don't conveniently forget about this later.

Can I just say that I liked the way they handled they pregnancy storyline Alaina's acting was superb. I wonder how much time passed? TJ got shot in the gut and she had a C-Section. I would have thought she'd struggle to get up out of bed without help, let alone walk. But I'm not a doctor so I may be way off on this type of injury.
          sigpic

Comment

1. I actually had TJ's story down an a hallucination sequence. Maybe it's one that'll allow her to live with her baby having been aborted but...meh.

2. OK...I tended to be in Young's camp in S1 but this time around Rush was the star player - very nice work from the Scot!

3. Chloe's healing ability...well I didn't expect her to pick up that particular ability but anyone whose seen the trailer knows what that's about! I think we're still dealing with Chloe...for now.

4. LA in amongst the Destiny crew. Hmmm...let's see what happens here.
            I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

WEll.. with how s2e2 went many of our questions got answered, and others were left in limbo....

Comment

It wasn't a bad episode, a good quick start to keep my attention on SGU, that is good.

I don't really have much to say that hasn't been said already.

Comment

PBMom writes: “Was the baby in Intervention a professional actor baby or actually Alaina’s baby. Too cute!”

Answer: Not Alaina’s baby.
                  http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...l-day-mailbag/
                  sigpic
                  The Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Thunk thread The Sam/RepliCarter Ship Thread

Comment

Originally posted by Linda06 View Post
                    So Chloe's leg wound healed? I wonder what that's all about? Did those blue aliens do something to her? I hope TPTB don't conveniently forget about this later.
                    I believe we'll find out how that's possible in the upcoming episodes.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Egle01 View Post
                      I believe we'll find out how that's possible in the upcoming episodes.
                      Ah okay, looking forward to finding out what's going on
                      sigpic

Comment

Sorry I posted an error: a comment for th s02e09... how can I Do?

Comment

Originally posted by Keeper - Custode View Post
                          Sorry I posted an error: a comment for th s02e09... how can I Do?
                          Click edit post and delete said post since it deals with spoilers for Visitation. Other people won't like that. Then go here. Its the general discussion for Visitation
                          Originally posted by aretood2
                          Jelgate is right

Comment

Where can I click to edit my posts? It's essential I presume that that post #326 should be canceled; but I didn't find any button to click for editing it.

Comment

Originally posted by Keeper - Custode View Post
                              Where can I click to edit my posts? It's essential I presume that that post #326 should be canceled; but I didn't find any button to click for editing it.
                              My mistake. Probies can't edit their posts. Just report it to the mods (press the triangle on the right side) requesting deletion
                              Originally posted by aretood2
                              Jelgate is right

Comment

I haven't been a huge fan of SGU but this episode was amazing! In my top 10 eps of Stargate ever.

Comment

Working...
                                X