This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kaiphantom View Post
    I agree it's a logical idea, but it's something that doesn't need to be shown. Especially when there ARE things that need to be shown and aren't.
    Seriously? Are we going to have another season of people getting upset because the show doesn't show stuff as fast as you think they should? It's a serial, there's plenty of time to deal with the aftermath of the loss of people, babies and introduction of LA prisoners. Perhaps they could do it in an episode called 'Aftermath'? Ya know I think i'm going to write to them and suggest they do just that.

Oh wait, turns out they've already had that idea, who'd have thought it?

Comment

I should say I liked it but for the thing that the first part of the episode _IMHO_ was a bit jumbled. Maybe, because they wanted to show so much in such a little span of time. But that was the only drawback for me. They've pushed me to the edge of my seat a few times, so yeah
      sigpic

This ship was named "Destiny" for a reason (c)

Comment

Having said that, I thought it was average, maybe a bit below average. It did the job it needed to, but it just felt a bit off in a few places. TJ not asking about her baby, not seeing a discussion with the captured LA, the horrid ending song, Dannic being too comically evil to take seriously thus tossing my sense of belief out the window, Scott and Greer suddenly being invincible despite a whole team getting wtfpwned in the S1 season finale.... I think I've covered my pet peeves. I would have liked those things to have been handled better.
        This how has never been about answering all the questions in a single episode. I'm more than confident that many of the points you brought up will be addressed in later episodes.

TJ knew that the baby was gone when Camille told her as much.

Young locked up the LA and has yet to decide what to do with them beyond that. Given the season previews, it will be addressed.

Danic ruled through fear. No one wanted to stand up to him because they were afraid of him. It's not unrealistic. Plus, having a reasonable LA leader to deal with post Kiva would have been boring.

Scott and Greer weren't suddenly invincible. No one amongst the LA was expecting two armed members of the military to be roaming around, giving them the element of surprise.
        I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.

Comment

i'm thinking the smurfs infected Chloe with replicator nanites and that's why she's healing so fast!

/dances around to avoid the things you're throwing at me virtually!

Comment

Originally posted by Lahela View Post
            It's not, by any definition of the term "plot hole", a plot hole that they didn't show her asking to see her dead baby. Besides, even if she did see the dead baby, Caine told her that what they saw on the ship was "different", meaning that the TJ and baby that were brought to the planet (if indeed that happened) were not the physical TJ and baby on the ship - otherwise, TJ wouldn't have been lying in the infirmary the whole time.
            By definition, a plot hole is something that should be shown to connect the dots, and it isn't. It's something a character should do, or should ask, and they don't. This fits. Seeing the baby would give her one sense of whether her dream was real or not. You have to admit, that's what you would logically do. "Was that real? Or just a dream? Maybe if I can actually see my baby, I can make sure."

The writers blatantly didn't show it to keep a false sense of mystery(they might have been squeamish about doing it, though, but it's a cop out); thing is, they didn't need to do that since we have the whole nebulae thing to maintain the mystery. Although apparently, somehow Caine and a few others will end up back on Destiny, so it will be interesting as to whether they remember her being there and the baby.

Originally posted by Wayston View Post
            -TJ did not need to be informed of her baby, waking up with a flat belly and camille tearing up is kinda a giveaway... the poignance in that scene is precisely that she doesn't have to ask... also you're assuming the aliens "cut and pasted" the baby onto the planet, who is to say they didn't "copy and paste" it (with one version ending up dead and the other alive)?
            Answer above mostly, but your questions ultimately don't matter. It's something a character should have done regardless of the answer, and it wasn't done.

-horrid ending song = subjective, I liked it a lot + the background music throughout the episode was of a high standard (e.g. the bell tolling when they step through the gate and stuff, quite nice)
            I'll agree it was subjective, but I'm more primed to notice songs now because they use them a lot. That means that I, as a segment of viewership, will be more critical of the vocal music. That means they need to work harder to do a good job with them. If they simply didn't use them as much, then there would be less viewers that would come to dislike them. They opened they box, and thus have to take criticism for it.

-Dannic's attitude was exactly the same as Kiva, makes sense a lot of the LA crew would back him up initially, Kiva was acting just the same when the pulsar was discovered and she would have been shot too in a similar situation. Yes they both were somewhat cheesy, stereotypical over the top bad guys but in a good way. The goa'uld and wraith were also kinda stereotypical bad guys in their own right mind you.
            I didn't like Kiva for some of the same reasons, but Dannic was farther over the top than Kiva. She was barely tolerable, but he went over the line. As was said before several times "comically" evil. Which means I found myself barely able to hold back my laughter at how "look at me, I'm a bad guy! I'm EEEVVVIIIILLL!" he was being.

Definitely not the right way to write a villain.

-a lot of LA were wounded. The LA also got the jump on the earth crew through their door opener. Plus the LA was combing the ship in many small teams. I felt it was pretty realistic for once (as opposed to many an SGA scenes where the hallway chases were often quite absurdl), they were able to evade the small teams due to luck/large ship/superior knowledge of the environment and got the jump on a small security detail guarding two harmles prisoners, then they get pinned down by a nearby larger security detail and get into an untennable position.
            Part of my dislike is just how stupidly they lost the ship to the LA in the first place. Ironically, I find Greer and Scott's actions plausible, but it just highlights now how stupid the earlier debacle was. Young should have had Scott and Greer hold a hallway initially; apparently having more troops just makes things harder.

Which is the Conservation of Ninjitsu law.

Comment

By definition, a plot hole is something that should be shown to connect the dots, and it isn't. It's something a character should do, or should ask, and they don't. This fits. Seeing the baby would give her one sense of whether her dream was real or not. You have to admit, that's what you would logically do. "Was that real? Or just a dream? Maybe if I can actually see my baby, I can make sure."

The writers blatantly didn't show it to keep a false sense of mystery(they might have been squeamish about doing it, though, but it's a cop out); thing is, they didn't need to do that since we have the whole nebulae thing to maintain the mystery. Although apparently, somehow Caine and a few others will end up back on Destiny, so it will be interesting as to whether they remember her being there and the baby.

Answer above mostly, but your questions ultimately don't matter. It's something a character should have done regardless of the answer, and it wasn't done.
              Why should she have done anything of the sort in the period we saw? Having just lost a baby during pregnancy I think it'd be fair to surmise that TJ may be a be a little traumatised and possibly doesn't want to see the body of her dead baby or act 'logically'. Perhaps she wants to cling to the idea that she was indeed teleported back to the planet and her child is safe and doesn't want to do anything that might make that possibility less real. Or perhaps it's part of an ongoing plot that will get dealt with over a number of episodes? Frankly there is absolutely no reason for them to have shown any more than they did at the time that they did, we're not dealing with a show with standalone episodes and they don't need to tie up all the plots at the end of each episode.

Comment

I would describe the premiere as a rather low key opening to the second season. Nothing big, spectacular or revelatory in terms of any new feel, direction or story.
                Given that the ratings for the first season weren't great, I'd of thought they needed to start off with a bang rather than a continuance of season one's slowburn feel. With the ratings now in for the first and them being a bit of a disaster, I think they'll now struggle because the premiere didn't make you feel that excited about the show's second year. The almost obligatory annoying pop music interlude in the episode seems to indicate the writers aint gonna change much of what went before.

Comment

It looks like the pattern of SGU getting better as they go is continuing into season 2. I'm definitely more excited for the rest of the season after seeing the premier.

TJ's storyline kinda threw me because I was expecting it to be a dream and I have no idea where they're gonna go from here.

I loved the stuff with Scott and Greer. I know it didn't really add a lot to the episode, but I love action.
                  || Star Stream || Destiny Song || The Four Suns (My Band) || The Art of War <<== listen please!

Comment

Originally posted by globex View Post
                    What the hell was that? I was so looking the premier, they finally added a bit of spice and mystery to the season 1 finale of SGU, only to have it ruined with this crap premier(TJ story what really put me off). This has to be the worst premier for season 2 I have ever seen in my 15 years of watching science fiction.

Never believing Brad wright ever again, and no I was actually looking forward to the season 2 premier.
                    As a person who thinks "Caprica'' is nr.1 sci-fi show on air at the moment, I think I'll disagree... Actually TJs story was the best thing about this episode- the mystery, the execution, the dialogue... Action is great and in those moments when it's accompanied by great writing and drama, it makes a great episode... all of my favourites from season 1 (Light, Time, Divided, Pain) are such episodes- contaning great dialogue and drama combined with action sequences. And this episode was also like that.

"Caprica'' maybe isn't that good at action but it's superbly written... Like BSG was. I feel that SGU lacks constantly great writing to be the absulutely amazing-est show on TV so I hope writers try harder. The premiere was pretty good, though.
                    Last edited by latvian_stargatefan; 29 September 2010, 01:49 PM.
                    - the guest member of SGU book club

Comment

Originally posted by globex View Post
                      What the hell was that? I was so looking the premier, they finally added a bit of spice and mystery to the season 1 finale of SGU, only to have it ruined with this crap premier(TJ story what really put me off). This has to be the worst premier for season 2 I have ever seen in my 15 years of watching science fiction.

Never believing Brad wright ever again, and no I was actually looking forward to the season 2 premier.
                      *#SGU*Chloehasfishcooties*#SGU*Got tired of all the bullets and death. The bit with TJ was the best part of the show. It's because of that that I loved it*#SGU*Chloehasfishcooties*#SGU*

Comment

I can't say I disliked this episode but TJ's sub plot really got under my skin a little bit. I think I find it more annoying in what it might be rather than what it was. It was noticeably similar to LOST and that makes me nervous because I really grew to hate that show eventually (despite being a pretty huge fan in the first 1.5 seasons or so). The uncertain nebulous nature of exactly what was happening was a little off putting because it happened so often in LOST that it was not intriguing any more it was just insanely annoying to me. Especially since it became clear down the line that there was never going to be any real explanation for much of it. And the aliens being so advanced that they might as well have supernatural powers like "the Island" and gives cryptic vague messages about philosophy has the potential to become terribly irritating. Even if it's not supernatural abilities in the strictest sense, it kind of gives a very different feeling to the show that I don't know belongs in the Stargate franchise. I don't know where the show will go after this but I seriously hope they avoid the many pitfalls of LOST. For example I hope they don't use the "unexplainable mysterious-ness" to avoid ever explaining things that otherwise would be very important for them to, or attempt to use it to disguise clear plot-holes. It was just infuriating on LOST. *sigh*
                        Last edited by Infinite-Possibilities; 29 September 2010, 02:20 PM.
                        "First Weir, then Samantha Carter, and now, you! It's a pity you humans die or get reassigned so easily, or I might have a sense of satisfaction now!"

*You got the touch! You got the poweeeeer!*

"Arise, Woolseyus Prime."

"Elizabeth..."

Comment

Overall very good episode. I liked how they wrapped everything up and brought the whole Lucian invasion arc it to a pretty satisfying end, while at the same time leaving a number of interesting mysteries I'm looking forward to seeing solved later on. It will also be interesting to see how they deal with the Lucian prisoners (the hot red-headed chick was awesome--I hope they keep her in the show). The TJ plotline was kind of slow and I'm not sure it really fit with the episode, but it may prove worth it later on depending what comes of it.

My only disappointment was that the writers apparently yielded to the temptation to bring everything to a good ending. After seeing the season finale and before I saw any of the previews or read the spoilers on here, I half-expected them to do something really bold and have Young die and have everybody live as prisoners of the Lucian Alliance for half a season or so before eventually re-capturing the ship--a la the New Caprica arc from BSG. I guess the writers weren't feeling that bold, but it would have been interesting to see how the story would have turned out if they went that route.

Comment

Originally posted by Infinite-Possibilities View Post
                            I can't say I disliked this episode but TJ's sub plot really got under my skin a little bit. I think I find it more annoying in what it might be rather than what it was. It was noticeably similar to LOST and that makes me nervous because I really grew to hate that show eventually (despite being a pretty huge fan in the first 1.5 seasons or so). The uncertain nebulous nature of exactly what was happening was a little off putting because it happened so often in LOST that it was not intriguing any more it was just insanely annoying to me. Especially since it became clear down the line that there was never going to be any real explanation for much of it. And the aliens being so advanced that they might as well have supernatural powers like "the Island" and gives cryptic vague messages about philosophy has the potential to become terribly irritating. Even if it's not supernatural abilities in the strictest sense, it kind of gives a very different feeling to the show that I don't know belongs in the Stargate franchise. I don't know where the show will go after this but I seriously hope they avoid the many pitfalls of LOST.
                            *#SGU*Chloehasfishcooties*#SGU*

Kinda like Lost? you mean kinda like ascended ancients with near god like power; capable of removing a person's 'mind/soul/lifeforce/ from their body and reconstituting another form for them. I just watched a special a few weeks ago on Discovery civilization with many scientist saying that if creatures exist on different planets and or galaxies, they may have evolved different. One even said that creatures could have evolved in gas nebula. Imagine that. A creature formed of gas particles and electrical packets. Some of them may actually be formed of pure energy as opposed to our meat bags. Imagine how such creatures could affect their universe. Imagine how they communicate; sending particle burst which can be seen as a voice or messge but is essentially a burst of energy across space.

I'm thinking a lot of people got stuck on LOST because it apparently alluded to heaven, when in effect, it simply said that some forms of energy finds a way to continue, even in another playing field other than where it originated. Your opinion respected, but I'm simply thinking that Chloe and her daughter was a lot like two computers communicating with the internet, and the data packet which represented the hard drive contents of one of the computers, the laptop, got copied and recreated in another home on another laptop. As it's original body, got damaged. And the other computer simply was disconnected from the net, since the aliens would be the server which allows all this to happen. Is it still like Lost?*#SGU*Chloehasfishcooties*#SGU*

Comment

So when will we see the ratings?
                              sigpic
                              Thanks to Oma-1 for the beautiful banner!

Comment

Originally posted by leiasky View Post
                                So when will we see the ratings?
                                We already have
                                Originally posted by aretood2
                                Jelgate is right

Comment

Working...
                                X