X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ben 'Teal'c would WIN!!' Noble View Post
    Wrong.
    Ben,

Sometimes I think you post just to raise your post count. Care to elaborate as to why you think morrismike's statement is wrong (presuming you were responding to morrismike's statement, that is)?

Comment

It took the output of nearly the entire national power grid to power the Ancient wearpons platform. That alone proves a ZPM outputs way way way more power than is needed to power one measly Earth city.

Comment

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
        Additionally we don't know if a zpm can be adapted to power destiny. The second a group boarded destiny, suddenly the ship won't have the power to cross the expanse and would fail part way across dooming the whole crew. I'm sure Young thought of this and told the SGC not to send anyone through to destiny, even if they had the ability to unless they heard from them in 3 years.
        I would have preferred them to leave the ZPM out of it. It's a very....cheesy prop and part of the storyline. It doesn't fit with SGU at all.
        sigpic
        Originally posted by dacooker
        The ships named Destiny for a reason....three years my friend, three years....

Comment

Additionally, it's been stated by McKay that overloading a ZPM to unleash all its energy at once could destroy a planet. We also know from SG1, that a ZPM coated with proportionate energy reactive explosive would destroy Earth the moment the ZPM tried to discharge power.

So, a ZPM has more energy than any artificial source we've yet seen (other than the super experimental drawing energy from other universes energy reactors), that I know of. I have no doubt a ZPM could easily power a 9 chevron address. We just don't have any more non-nearly-depleated ZPMs other than the one tied into Odyssey.

I will say, the displays of ZPMs in use have been extremely erratic. From powering time bubbles for thousands of years to... err... being unable to power Atlantis's flight? The fact Atlantis needs more than one to fly is rather absurd.

But even so, if they found a way to gate to Destiny, they wouldn't need to bring a ZPM to help power the ship. Naquadah reactors would work wonders, and are quite handily portable. So, it wouldn't be a stretch to think they would break that 3 year wait, pop in with space suits, set up the naquadah reactors, and call it good.

Comment

Here's another theory. Atlantis must have schematics of the seeder and destiny class ships. With the Asgard knowledgebase, they can pretty much mass produce any parts and recreate the ships according to spec.

At the same time, include R&D and enhance it with hyperspace or even wormhole drives.

In effect, we can possibly play catchup with Destiny using the upgraded ships. Surely we won't be able to do it in 3 years. Realistically, we're looking at a 10 year mission? while they're traveling toward the structure behind the cosmic radiation, we're building the ship and heading towards them... oh say.... 6+ years and then some?

Comment

Originally posted by clone View Post
              A Zero Point Module (abbreviated ZPM) is an immensely strong and very long-lived energy source capable of powering entire cities and intergalactic spacecraft.

This was taken from the wiki. A little more than a AA battery.

ZPM is based on a real energy source. This is a source of tremendous power. Nobody can harness it yet in the real world.
              Dialing a nine chevron adress requires the power of a very special planet. Do you really think a ZPM is on par with a planet?
              Todd: Fish in a pond, busy busy, lots to do, here and there. Dry as a desert outside, no place to go. Eat up, get stronger, think and hope, think and hope. Don't look now! Oh, keep dreaming. There must be some other reason for your existence. Defiance tastes like life itself. No river. No water. Die in the desert. Dirt is all around. The harvest moon is rising. Wraith are never-ending. I know the future. Come inside. I'll show you your Destiny... John Sheppard.

Comment

Originally posted by qingdom View Post
                Here's another theory. Atlantis must have schematics of the seeder and destiny class ships. With the Asgard knowledgebase, they can pretty much mass produce any parts and recreate the ships according to spec.

At the same time, include R&D and enhance it with hyperspace or even wormhole drives.

In effect, we can possibly play catchup with Destiny using the upgraded ships. Surely we won't be able to do it in 3 years. Realistically, we're looking at a 10 year mission? while they're traveling toward the structure behind the cosmic radiation, we're building the ship and heading towards them... oh say.... 6+ years and then some?
                Keep in mind the Destiny is a galaxy hopping universal explorer, they're probably more than a few galaxies away. Trying to run them down even with the fastest Lantian ship they could reconstruct (which would take years) it would be a long time before they'd catch them with the best conditions. Not to mention the factor of longevity. The Destiny, if anything, is a camel of a spacecraft. Could the most advanced and fastest reconstructed Lantian ship overtake them while fighting a resource battle themselves? I think the idea of getting to them by ship would be a stretch at best barring some sort of technological solution like trans-warp drive.
                Todd: Fish in a pond, busy busy, lots to do, here and there. Dry as a desert outside, no place to go. Eat up, get stronger, think and hope, think and hope. Don't look now! Oh, keep dreaming. There must be some other reason for your existence. Defiance tastes like life itself. No river. No water. Die in the desert. Dirt is all around. The harvest moon is rising. Wraith are never-ending. I know the future. Come inside. I'll show you your Destiny... John Sheppard.

Comment

How do you figure? we have seen no possibility that the Destiny project even exists in the lantean database. Let alone full schematics etc..

Plus having the knowledge of WHAT to build does not mean we have the capacity to build.

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
                    How do you figure? we have seen no possibility that the Destiny project even exists in the lantean database. Let alone full schematics etc..

Plus having the knowledge of WHAT to build does not mean we have the capacity to build.

I rewatched Air Part 1, timestamp 12:10-ish Daniel Jackson goes into tutorial mode of how stargates work, how 2 years ago, found a planet theoretically that could power the gate to one day dial the 9th chevron found in the ancient database.

The only ancient database I'm aware of that's functioning and not a 'repository' is Atlantis. They didn't say Asgard database so I'm assuming Atlantis being it. Is it documented in detail, I don't know. Do they have schematics for destiny and seeder ships, I don't know.

One things' for sure, the gates didn't plant themselves in the Milky Way or Pegasus. So seeder and destiny-class ships are of norm at the edges of the galaxy everywhere. Are they scattered in all directions? not sure... but destiny-class ships are recons to the seeder ships that planted them long after with a pre-planned route.

I'm pretty sure the year they've spent on Destiny, they stoned in scientists to gather ship design to help Rush with. I can't imagine otherwise they didn't because the idea of a supply line to Destiny was always in the air if they couldn't bring them home.

Remember, we can dial to Destiny, but Destiny can't dial home alone due to power limitations and means; albeit sun powered, but we saw how that landed us.

Originally posted by Onealwasoverrated View Post
                    Keep in mind the Destiny is a galaxy hopping universal explorer, they're probably more than a few galaxies away. Trying to run them down even with the fastest Lantian ship they could reconstruct (which would take years) it would be a long time before they'd catch them with the best conditions. Not to mention the factor of longevity. The Destiny, if anything, is a camel of a spacecraft. Could the most advanced and fastest reconstructed Lantian ship overtake them while fighting a resource battle themselves? I think the idea of getting to them by ship would be a stretch at best barring some sort of technological solution like trans-warp drive.
                    This brings to the ship they can build. (note, I'm working this from memory again, i may be wrong) Atlantis had an episode where the Daedelus was heading back from Pegasus to Milky Way from the replicator overrun, they caught up with an Aurora class ship of Ancients crawling between empty space between Pegasus and Milky Way due to their hyperdrive failing. We helped them, they turned back to head back to Atlantis. What of their whereabouts, they're probably annihilated, but that's another story.

So point is, Destiny's propulsion is age old FTL. We have enhanced hyperdrive and wormhole drive technology. With R&D, we can create a vessel that can dock with Destiny if and when we eventually catch up to it. We did it once; there was an episode on it; we can do it again. Only this time, it's not 10,000 light years away... it's stretching billions of light years away.

It takes Daedelus two weeks to get from Milky Way to Pegasus doing 10,000 light years... Attempting to do billions of light years to catch up to Destiny, would take a few years (give or take how long the crew stops here and there to resupply and while avoiding hostile territory)

I'm not saying it's a hop, skip, and a jump to reach them. With our current drive technology, it may still take a few decades to reach them, but the point is, we could reach them. Once we do reach them, then what? We could assist them with investigating the structure behind the cosmic radiation faster than the rate they're at now. Then afterwards, can piggyback home together.

The benefits, Asgard cloned database, better weapons, better drive technology, more modernized everything. The challenge will be to remain in one piece while getting to them.

I may be making it sound like a cinch and so simple, but I'm also saying realistically 10+ years for a search and rescue mission here. Destiny will be anticipating actual 'backup' cavalry with advanced weapons, shielding, AND cloaking. Possibly spare parts premade and stored from whatever they can rummage from Atlantis database and manufactured using Asgard technologies.

Thoughts?

Comment

Atlantis had an episode where the Daedelus was heading back from Pegasus to Milky Way from the replicator overrun, they caught up with an Aurora class ship of Ancients crawling between empty space between Pegasus and Milky Way due to their hyperdrive failing.
                      That's right their hyperdrive had failed a very long time ago and they were traveling almost the speed of light. But a hyperdrive opens a window into hyperspace for the ship to enter a different layer of space. The reason for entering hyperspace is to avoid the time dilation effect as seen in that episode, and avoid the classic FTL issue of actually traveling FTL because time stops when you travel FTL according to real world physics. The Destiny travels FTL without having to go into hyperspace which is a different way of traveling FTL and possibly, probably, according to the shows timelines, just as fast as a hyperspace FTL drive. Destiny has a system that gets around the need for hyperspace though.

Which in itself could open a whole 'nother can of worms for possible ways to relaunch the show close to where we left off. I.E. oh look Eli found a way to make the power last for 3 years! He turned off the time acceleration bubble that he found while bored and now we get SGU back because only 15 minutes passed on Destiny while 3 years passed everywhere else. Something of that nature would be needed according to real world physics to keep time dilation from preventing FTL in normal space, and if it were turned off and allowed time dilation to occur then power consumption could last a very long time (as far as the rest of the universe is concerned ), as it did in the episode you mentioned.

If it was as simple as a ship coming to them or catching them, now that they can control Destiny don't you think they would simply turn it around and meet them half way? They can't do that though because it's just too far. They "aren't in Kansas anymore" and you just have to accept that until the writers change that.

p.s. I actually understand most of what Carter says So sorry if I'm being a bit of an egghead.

Comment

we can borrow a page from the Ori.... use the smaller gate to send through piece-lings to form a supergate... then power up a supergate over here with a blackhole and form a one way route to someplace 'near' where Destiny is or will meet up with.

Gate a ship or three to form an expeditionary force rather than just Destiny alone. De-couple supergate, pack it into the ships or the parts themselves are part of the ship.

Travel as a group. Battle as a group. Investigate the structure behind cosmic radiation.

Once finished, form supergate, return trip back home, discard supergate at dialing end.

ZPM's are out of the equation here. Porting ZPM's through is not part of the equation too.

How's this theory?

Comment

we can borrow a page from the Ori.... use the smaller gate to send through piece-lings to form a supergate... then power up a supergate over here with a blackhole and form a one way route to someplace 'near' where Destiny is or will meet up with.

Gate a ship or three to form an expeditionary force rather than just Destiny alone. De-couple supergate, pack it into the ships or the parts themselves are part of the ship.

Travel as a group. Battle as a group. Investigate the structure behind cosmic radiation.

Once finished, form supergate, return trip back home, discard supergate at dialing end.

ZPM's are out of the equation here. Porting ZPM's through is not part of the equation too.

How's this theory?
                          You would need to know their approximate location, and a means to dial all the way there through the small gate. I'm not sure the power requirements to dial close to them but one would think it would be much higher than a typical pegasus dial right? But, if that could happen wouldn't that be easier than an icarus class planet? So they can't use your plan or they would have. Telford would step on his own mother on his way through.

The point is that anything could happen if the writers so choose it. Rodney Mckay could get wormhole drive safe and operational, Sam Carter could build a super Lantian ship, but only if the writers make it so. It's sci fi, nothing is off limits. That's why I liked SGU so much, the sci fi plot development has amazing potential.

Comment

True.. DJ did mention the info on the 9th chevron in the database.. BUT maybe that was all it was.. Info concerning how to use the 9th chevron.

Comment

Originally posted by wabbit42 View Post
                              A single ZPM cannot power a nine chevron dial.
                              or even work on destiny to start with. hell what's the chances of finding one in the milky way anyway.
                              https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

So it just came to me.... why couldn't we drop out of FTL and perform an Avenger 3.0 broadcast?

If the drones are programmed to detect gate activity, they'll have to prioritize and choose which one(s) to investigate. Thus, confusing them as a result.

We'll have open windows to go recharge to the sun.

How many times that will work afterwards, not sure, but supposedly the gates are suppose to synchronize over time. The Avenger program speeds up the process by making the update 'now' as opposed to 'later'.

-------------------------------------------------

Another idea is to borrow a page from the Asurans. Attach a Stargate to the Shuttle, find a way to convert the solar collecting cell to funnel a vacuum into Destiny's stargate, output it through the shuttle stargate to act as a beam weapon focusing on a the command ship.

How long it would take to produce/manufacture, not sure.... but if we can eliminate the drone ship from Novus, we'd have facilities to work with. But then again, the plate tectonics losing integrity, not sure when the city would fail.

Thoughts on these?

Comment

Working...
                                X