This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Phenom View Post
    I completely agree. Although I probably liked SGU a little more than you by the sounds of it, essentially a whole finale consisted of them getting in the statis pods and deciding who would take the last one. I have said earlier that if it did come back for Season 3, this finale would do nothing to boost the numbers for next season. It was back to the worst of most of Season 1 for mine, and the only sad part was the fact that it was the end of Stargate, not so much the end of SGU itself.
    Errr, with simple "I didn't like it" would be enough, please, avoid wide assumptions (like "it would do nothing to boost the numbers...") when being subjective. Thank you

Comment

Am I the only one who thinks Eli just committed suicide to save all the others? I mean, they talked about having some power for a couple of weeks. But then, the entire ship powered down, presumably by Eli.

He was there in the observation lounge with just the battery-lamps on. I think whatever happens Eli just punched his ticket. He's not repairing the pod; it's like he knew there was no way to fix it.

Comment

I cannot believe it!!! THIS WAS THE LAST STARGATE EPISODE AND THEY DIDN'T SHOW THE WORMHOLE!!! THE SERIES WAS MEANT TO BE ABOUT THE GATE!!! AND IT WASN'T PROPERLY EVEN SHOWN TO US!!! Or maybe even the name of the franchise was a cover story for a bigger picture...
        "I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational in order to prove that you care... or why it should be necessary to prove it at all."

Comment

Originally posted by starg4te View Post
          Tears in my eyes :') Great (temporary, hopefully) finale to SGU and the Stargate Franchise as a whole. 1997-2011
          1994-2011. Don't forget the original movie that started everything. Although I'm pretty sure that there are fans out there who wish that Emmerich and Devlin would have continued the franchise themselves, thus creating a completely different storyline. A storyline in which no Stargate series would exist. I am not one of them. SGU was awesome. Oh, and Gauntlet wasn't a waste of time. Yes, it had little storyline, but it was to visit the past. We saw the Stargate in action for the last time. We saw Scott, Greer and Morrison going into a hostile and dangerous planet not knowing if they get what they need or would they make it back like an SG-1 team. We saw Earth a lot because it was where the franchise originated. We saw everything about the meaning of the storyline. We saw Young and Rush giving up their rivalry. We even saw humor(the slightly crazy old uncle Rush). We saw Rush ending his strain with fellow crewmates. Gauntlet was a nice ep although many consider the franchise like Muad'Dib now.
          "I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational in order to prove that you care... or why it should be necessary to prove it at all."

Comment

Originally posted by rushy View Post
            I cannot believe it!!! THIS WAS THE LAST STARGATE EPISODE AND THEY DIDN'T SHOW THE WORMHOLE!!! THE SERIES WAS MEANT TO BE ABOUT THE GATE!!! AND IT WASN'T PROPERLY EVEN SHOWN TO US!!! Or maybe even the name of the franchise was a cover story for a bigger picture...
            There were beautiful shots of the gate dialing, and I'm glad they didn't show the wormhole effect.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Phenom View Post
              I completely agree. Although I probably liked SGU a little more than you by the sounds of it, essentially a whole finale consisted of them getting in the statis pods and deciding who would take the last one.
              Actually that was only the last 5-10 minutes. Up to minute 28 they were blowing up commandships.

Comment

I thought it was an ok episode, but not good as a series finale...
                sigpic

Comment

that ending fit soooooo perfectly to close it off, or even pick it up some time a lot later, but even soo, RIP STARGATE!

Comment

Originally posted by Egle01 View Post
                    There were beautiful shots of the gate dialing, and I'm glad they didn't show the wormhole effect.
                    Indeed. I was just glad(and sad) to see the Stargate. I felt really sad seeing the lights go off in the Gateroom.

Comment

Originally posted by Replicator Todd View Post
                      Indeed. I was just glad(and sad) to see the Stargate. I felt really sad seeing the lights go off in the Gateroom.
                      but quite fitting, it ended exactly how it all began..more or less... in season 1 Air: The light goes on... In Gauntlet.. the light goes out... nice circle thing...
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Sp!der View Post
                        but quite fitting, it ended exactly how it all began..more or less... in season 1 Air: The light goes on... In Gauntlet.. the light goes out... nice circle thing...
                        Yes I really liked the mirroring of Air with the lights going off / coming on , the team dinner (one with Rush excluded and one with him included). I'm tempted to do a proper re-watch and see if there are more.

On a side note do the people who complain about not seeing the gate used or wormholes in every episode really mean it or is that some kind of insider joke? Because seriously how many times could anyone want to see the same special effect? The gate is just a magic door / plot device after all so persoanlly I'm glad they didn't waste too much screen time watching the thing dial up and go whoosh.

Comment

And regardless, they did use the gate to go to that meteorite planet

Comment

I think this is actually one of the best episodes they've ever done. Strangely it might even be the most effective series finales of the 3 shows, despite somehow being also the least effective finale of the 3 shows. It wrapped up much more than I expected it to and while not that great of a conclusion to the overall story they were dragging out, wasn't that bad of a way to ride off into the sunset (void?) for the Stargate Franchise.
                            "First Weir, then Samantha Carter, and now, you! It's a pity you humans die or get reassigned so easily, or I might have a sense of satisfaction now!"

*You got the touch! You got the poweeeeer!*

"Arise, Woolseyus Prime."

"Elizabeth..."

Comment

Originally posted by Carter1994 View Post
                              Post #50. My timing is officially amazing.

Also, I find it amazing that there are 146 members currently browsing this thread...

Anyway, my short response (perhaps I'll do a longer one later):

I was one of those "middle-of-the-road" people throughout season one and the first three or four episodes of S2. Some episodes I loved, some I absolutely despised. When news of the cancellation broke, I was a bit disappointed, but not especially surprised.

Then came the final stretch. Starting from the mid season finale, suddenly SGU was good. And I mean, really, really good. Had me practically glued to the screen when it aired every night. Even made Mondays something to look forward to.

And now it's gone. Over, point of fact. Seems... impossible, doesn't it? But, if it had to go out on a cliffie, I'm glad it was this one. True, we had all of zero threads wrapped up, but this wasn't supposed to be a finale. That last shot of Destiny felt fitting.

Gauntlet, in a word, was amazing.

I only wish there were the hope of it coming back.
                              I agree with you completely that the second half of the second season was much better. It was far closer to what the majority of Stargate fans have come to expect.

The show's creators made a catastrophic mistake. They took way too long to run through the "whole wrong people in the wrong place" story arc. It should have been completed midway through the first season and not well into the second. The dark and depressing gloomy atmosphere of the entire first season drove off most of the established fans and many new viewers.

Too bad...
                              Last edited by Blackhole; 11 May 2011, 04:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lewis22123 View Post
                                that ending fit soooooo perfectly to close it off, or even pick it up some time a lot later, but even soo, RIP STARGATE!
                                Not at all.
                                It was great season cliff hanger. It was a horrible series finale.
                                They should of had closure instead of teasing everyone like the series will continue.
                                SeeFee completely mismanaged stargate and killed it off.
                                It is just sad there is nothing left for scific lovers except reruns.

Comment

Working...
                                X