Novus database

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
    Maybe the Diaries were separate from the database..
    Originally posted by blueray View Post
    i thought that they were reading the diaries from their computer, which is where they were uploading from. which brings the question why they couldn't just search of the cure to tj's disease?
    pretty much my point - people are complaining about the diaries being uploaded, however: if the database had to be stopped to search for TJ's cure, then the diaries couldn't have been part of the upload. if they were part of the upload, then there should have been no issue with finding the cure - they'd half a dozen people there checking diaries, and yaozuu seemed to recognise the disease pretty easily.

or else, the writers didn't pay much attention to what was going on in the very scene.
    Cantina Petition for Perma-sticky (or own subforum)

Comment

Too true..

Though i wonder..
      Could they have brought Destiny itself in to land, so supplies would have been easier to get aboard?
      there's no evidence that destiny can land and if there's a easy access to inside the ship from the outside
      https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Originally posted by Pharaoh Atem View Post
        there's no evidence that destiny can land and if there's a easy access to inside the ship from the outside
        even assuming it could, the local area seemed to be wooded. chances are, the nearest landing site would still have been at shuttling distances.

Comment

That it may have, but shuttling things from place X to Y on a planet, is still quicker than shuttling them from planet to orbit.

Comment

Why didn't they just take the Hard Drives or whatever storage units had. Why download when the dvd is available. Just my two cents!

Comment

Originally posted by ngewakl View Post
              Why didn't they just take the Hard Drives or whatever storage units had. Why download when the dvd is available. Just my two cents!
              they considered that on-screen - but they'd have to demolish the bunker. the hard drives are built into the wall.

with the bunker already unstable, it's debatable whether they'd have escaped at all - and the terminals seemed fairly close together. without knowing the details of construction, they'd risk destroying the database with explosives.

Comment

Yup. That Novan elder who went with us mentioned the databanks were built into the walls..

Comment

Assumptions:

Limited local storage in the archive prevented them from storing a complete copy of the compressed data.

The compression (highly parallel, limited by processing units) and wireless transmission technologies (parallel limited by frequency, serial otherwise) used are much faster, but relative to today's technologies, ie They could compress data far faster than they could transmit it.

-----------
                  My hypothesis is that they needed to start transmission of the data as quickly as possible. Hence the streaming solution. They could begin compression and immediately start streaming the output directly to the Destiny.

By the time they realized that they needed to search the data for the cure, the compression algorithm had already completed, but the they were still streaming data.

Therefore, they were stuck with a very large chunk of compressed data that would need to be un-compressed prior to searching. And because they don't have enough storage to keep both compressed and un-compressed data, un-compressing the data would necessitate stopping the transfer.

----------
                  Aside, I agree. Watching blue bars is a waste of time, they would have transfered remote management capability to the Destiny and managed the process from there in safety and relative comfort, or pitched in moving supplies.

Rush had the correct idea, though I'm unclear why he didn't just query the database for supplies listing, go directly to the location of the crates and tag them as priority 1.

Comment

Didn't he go up to that store room AFTER using the terminal?? Can't remember.

Comment

Yup. That Novan elder who went with us mentioned the databanks were built into the walls..
                      no brody did
                      https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

I loved this episode... I was also wondering why they had to be there while the upload was in progress, they could of sat in orbit until the transfer was terminated by the Novus computer being destroyed. I still say they should of ripped apart the computer and taken the HDD's with them... Nothing is Hardwired!!!

And it was Park who said they were built-in.
                        SG-1 was the best
                        SG-A was just as awesome

SG-U should CONTINUE!!!

sigpic

Comment

Maybe them trying to break the walls up to get them would have caused the place to colapse sooner.

Comment

If its a question of stability then your right, the bunker would have most likely collapsed. But i still don't understand why they had to be there for the up-link.
                            SG-1 was the best
                            SG-A was just as awesome

SG-U should CONTINUE!!!

sigpic

Comment

They didn't. It was that they felt, since supplies were being grabbed, and that would take time, they might as well stay and 'investigate'..

Comment

Originally posted by Snicker433 View Post
                                If its a question of stability then your right, the bunker would have most likely collapsed. But i still don't understand why they had to be there for the up-link.
                                It's just a plot device really. But for all intents and purposes it's an alien system, so who knows how it might work.

Comment

Working...
                                X