ALS cure..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Shylodog View Post
    Ships in hyperspace cannot be tracked, according to Sam. Only with the Asgard computer core online were the Ori able to track them. The Smurfs and drone command ships utilize Hyperspace technology, not the same as Destiny's FTL. The only time Destiny didn't detect the command ship right away (as far as I could tell) was when they were beat up pretty badly and dragged to one by the Ursini.

I have yet to find a reference in the show where they specifically state Destiny cannot scan in FTL.
    The Ursini took them straight to the command ship, and Destiny didn't know until they were already there. Shouldn't someone have noticed a ship approaching them? It wasn't moving, so it being in FTL itself isn't an excuse. Therefore, the only conclusion is that FTL blinds the sensors, as least to the extent that they can't see objects in normal space.

Comment

Originally posted by morbosfist View Post
      It means Rush detected it offscreen, being the only one with full sensor access, and had the ship stop of his own accord.
      That point kinda argues in my favour to say that the sensors are pretty good...

Looking at sublights speeds would be even stupider. Then not only would they be gaining now relative ground, they'd have to stop literally right on top of it. Moreover, it would take even longer.

We saw Destiny detect a large mass of signatures can could not distinguish what was generating it. The Novan ships are roughly the same distance away. If Destiny could detect them, it already would have.

You assume they have all that data. We never saw them mention anything remotely like that. They may know the basic specs, but if they had an exact location Eli would not be dismissing it. So yes, it is overly optimistic to suggest that Destiny could find the ships for want of doing so when we've seen its sensors just aren't that good.

Days turn to weeks, to months, etc. How long do you propose the crew waste searching for a needle in a haystack? You're acting like it's some "OMG fix it!" scenario they must absolutely solve.

They do bring up why they can't find them, because space is big. Eli alludes to as much when he denies it. It isn't being glossed over, people were just spoiled by Atlantis improbably succeeding in pulling it off.
      Okay yes space is big, but your still failling to see the obvious. They know when the ships left, where they left from, where they are going and they know how long its going to take them to get there. From that information you can work out fairly accurately where they would be. Thats my point, tptb are ignoring that. It just doesn't matter how big space is because you have all the information needed to find the ships. Which is helped by Destinys sensors which have demonstrated a few times to be able to find space ships which are relatively far away.
      I dunno what to put in here now..

Comment

Originally posted by Puddle-Jumper View Post

Okay yes space is big, but your still failling to see the obvious. They know when the ships left, where they left from, where they are going and they know how long its going to take them to get there. From that information you can work out fairly accurately where they would be. Thats my point, tptb are ignoring that. It just doesn't matter how big space is because you have all the information needed to find the ships. Which is helped by Destinys sensors which have demonstrated a few times to be able to find space ships which are relatively far away.
        Which is the point I was trying to make earlier...but you did it much better!
        sigpic

Comment

Without details, you can't really say when or from how far he did it. In other instances, they aren't shown to be that accurate.

Do they? Did they mention exact takeoff zones? An exact launch date? Do they know the exact planetary movement in order to calculate the exact position in space they left from? Do they know what course corrections the ships made upon leaving the atmosphere to travel as a group? Course corrections made to avoid the coming rogue black hole or other spacial phenomena?

I'm not failing to see the obvious at all. You merely insist on ignoring the very real factors which make finding something in space near impossible unless you can account for every single variable. Face it, Atlantis pulling it off was unrealistic.

Comment

Without details, you can't really say when or from how far he did it. In other instances, they aren't shown to be that accurate.

Do they? Did they mention exact takeoff zones? An exact launch date? Do they know the exact planetary movement in order to calculate the exact position in space they left from? Do they know what course corrections the ships made upon leaving the atmosphere to travel as a group? Course corrections made to avoid the coming rogue black hole or other spacial phenomena?

I'm not failing to see the obvious at all. You merely insist on ignoring the very real factors which make finding something in space near impossible unless you can account for every single variable. Face it, Atlantis pulling it off was unrealistic.
            This is Science Fiction, everything is possible!
            Fuzzy Wuzzy wasnt old,
            Fuzzy Wuzzy gotten bald
            There was Fuzzy no more Wuzzy

Comment

Originally posted by tomstone View Post
              Best Answer!
              sigpic

Comment

Can't argue that.

Comment

Just before I got to this post I kept saying in my mind, "Less Sience, More Fiction!!!!" We tend to get too wrapped up in the literal and theoretical science than the fiction which 'splains away that which does make our Geeks' minds hurt.

I've always had the feeling throughout the Stargate franchises that the only time the writers would pull out the universal rotation of planets, galaxies, etc is simply to make a point that something can't just be found. Yet the whole premise of the gate system is based upon the shape of the constellations; until they decided to make them syllables, of course.

Always have to keep you finger on the fiction factor.

Comment

the science in SGU is a little too flexible, whatever they told us in that episode to prevent us from reaching those novus ships, in another later episode they would come up with a new method to reaching them, so nothing is set in stone on the show when it comes to achieving the impossible. Having said that, it would be ridiculous for them not be able to catch up with novus ships. Only problem is why would they? Hows that gonna get them home? Want a cure for ALS? then they shouldve asked the asgards when they had the chance.
                    sigpic

Comment

Working...
                    X