No announcement yet.

The Novus space ships

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i think destiny is perfectly capable of calculate the trajectory of the novas spaceships.

since they use sublight, I supose the have programed the best path possible around starts to get to the planet, taking advantage of gravity and momentum of nearby stars.

since they know when they departure and the specification of the ships (they saw them in the database, i hope xD), they can travel to that specific portion os space and start scanning making small jumps and everything for weeks, they could find them sooner or later (lets not forget destiny has information os most of the stars in between stargates, sended by the seeder ships).

they can even cover 3 times the space by using the shutles like scout stations while they jump to another portion os space.

Comment

Originally posted by Trinary View Post
      The known destiny long range sensor could detect a faint energy signature from destroyed space ships about 1 day FTL journey (Resurgence Ep.). More or less is about a 10 light years away. I guess, it should not be difficult to find that ship.
      Bingo! Also remember that destiny can recreate a battle simulation from the left over derelict ships to show you what they looked like or what events took place. So yes destiny has the ability to detect large or small space ships, they shouldn't have any difficulty to find them.
      sigpic
      LordRush - "Battle stations!" "Marines, Kree!"

Comment

The known destiny long range sensor could detect a faint energy signature from destroyed space ships about 1 day FTL journey (Resurgence Ep.). More or less is about a 10 light years away. I guess, it should not be difficult to find that ship.
        This is true...
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Steelbox View Post
          I did some calulation on distance to the planet, on the speed of Novus ship and Destinty. Please pick it apart and tell me if i did it correctly.

Novus ship ETA: 220 years considering they united their efforts after the colony lost contact when the stargate was buried in lava 30 years ago so i gave 20 years for them to build the ships. And i assumed they left 10 years ago.
          Destiny ETA 10 days

Light speed: 300.000 m/s or 300km/s
          2.081.376.000.000 km in 220 years is the lenght they would travel in light speed. Now since they dont have FTL lets assume they are traveling at 40% speed of light which gives 120Km/s, in 220 years they would travel 832.550.400.000km. This is the estimated distance to the planet. Since Destiny can travel this distance in 10 days. She can travel at 3.212 times speed of light
          I don't think so. To keep the math simple if we assume the Novan ships are traveling at 50% the speed of light then Destiny is traveling 4015 times light speed. Their ships would take 220 years or 80,300 days to make the trip. Destiny can do it in 10 days or 8,030 times faster, or (8,030/2) 4,015 times the speed of light.
          Last edited by Blackhole; 27 April 2011, 01:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by LordRush View Post
            Bingo! Also remember that destiny can recreate a battle simulation from the left over derelict ships to show you what they looked like or what events took place. So yes destiny has the ability to detect large or small space ships, they shouldn't have any difficulty to find them.
            It was able to detect the residual energy signatures of those ships. It could not detect the actual ships until it arrived. It also could not detect the drone command ship when it was only an hour away by FTL. Ergo, not that advanced.

Comment

Originally posted by Steelbox View Post
              I did some calulation on distance
              You did it wrong dude.

SOL Metres per second: 299,792,458

Assuming their ships travel at 40% of speed of light.

Their speed = 119,916,983 m/s.

That means 756,340,396,439,040,000 meters traveled in 200 years.

SO destiny travels that distance at 875,393,977,360 meters a second.

That's 2920 times the speed of light.

Crazy numbers I know but such is the beauty of the universe!

Interstingly that's roughly 36 days to cross our galaxy.

edit

actually I did something wrong too...missed a 0 out all corrected now
              Last edited by Gala; 27 April 2011, 05:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackhole View Post
                I don't agree. Atlantis had long range sensors that could detect Wraith ships weeks out and they were traveling at hyperspace velocities. I think it would have been well within Destiny's technical capability to find the Novus ships.
                But how much father advanced than the Destiny is Atlantis?? 100000 years? 10000??

The Asgard were able to detect Promethius as it was the first hyperspace capable ship with Earth as a point of origin, and one would presume they weren't sitting in a listening post waiting for us to do it. Also, they detected Teal'c's and Sam's cargo ship when they emerged from hyperspace close to the black hole created by the replicators. An extemely small target to detect by ship standards.
                But we have seen then detect ships cause of their hyperspace exit window before.

Comment

Originally posted by sicario View Post
                  I still think they could find the novan ships .

they are traveling to the closest planet with a stargate IIRC, witch means maybe 3 or 4 stars away, wich is HUGE i know, and since they are traveling at sublight, they should use the gravitation forces to make them go faster, making their path predictable by destiny, since she has information of most of the stars in the galaxy or near stargates transmited by the seed ships .

now, im sure their extact date of departure, the ships design and speed was in the database, so im pretty sure destiny could pin point the location in space where the ships COULD be , and from there do small jumps around it for a few weeks until it finds them.

they could also leave thw shutles with food and a crew to scout a position while destiny scouts another.

i want them to find those ships :[

xD
                  assuming the recovered sections of the database included that info, you're possibly right.

on the other hand, they can't really leave the shuttle to scout one spot, while destiny checks another - the stops when they drop out of FTL mean that they'll have plenty of time to scan using destiny. but the wear and tear on the engines will be phenomenal if they have to fly along the route and drop out every so often. also, iirc there's a certain amount of time they're supposed to be in FTL before dropping out - meaning the time they end up wasting could easily go to days, and possibly even weeks, and that's before they need to resupply.

time that could be spent moving toward their destination - which, if it turns out* to be 'god' after all - will be able to provide the cure TJ needs, and a means to actually get home, instead of more people to either look after or get rid of, with nothing to contribute to the mission** the destiny is on.

*yes i realise that the show is cancelled. at time of filming that wasn't known, and we're losing out on 3 years of the total arc since the story the writers were working with at the time was aimed to cover a total of 5 years.

**while the novus ships have plenty to contribute to earth, it's fair to say that they clearly have little of value to the destiny crew. spare parts and food are all very well - but they're likely to need anything they shipped with for their new homeworld. their engine tech is far behind what even earth's engine tech is at the moment, so they're not going to speed destiny any further to the end of its road.

medicines can also contribute, however destiny has been doing fine so far and there's no way to know if the novus ships have any on board - and even if they do, they will again likely need all of these for their new world.

any knowledge gained by novus while scouting is also effectively useless to destiny - it will only be of planets relatively close to novus, while the destiny will probably leave this galaxy pretty soon anyway. additionally, destiny seems to be aware of which planets to stay clear of without sending a kino to them, so it's not likely the novus people have information we can't get hold of.
                  Cantina Petition for Perma-sticky (or own subforum)

Comment

But I'm worry if Destiny will found the ship,
                    Spoiler:
                    but only it's wreckage after it was destroyed by the drones. Without FTL or Hyperdrive, it's a sitting duck because it's energy signature is detectable by a long range sensors from any space ship.

Comment

But I'm worry if Destiny will found the ship,
                      Spoiler:
                      but only it's wreckage after it was destroyed by the drones. Without FTL or Hyperdrive, it's a sitting duck because it's energy signature is detectable by a long range sensors from any space ship.
                      unlikely, since in common descent rush and eli figured out that the drones had tracked destiny by gate usage.

since the novus people were using the stargate at various points over the last 2000 years, it's safe to say that the drones only came to their corner of the universe because of destiny, and destiny only brought them 30 years after the evacuees had left.

since the novus gate itself hasn't been used in 30 years, nothing could have led the drones to the planet - and there was no evidence of destruction from them either. they've no reason to be looking for a rogue energy signature, and there are no uses of stargates to alert them to the evacuees. they're safe imho.

Comment

The drones will attack the Novus ship like they attack the Ursini ships without discrimination as long as it's another civilization. The Stargate detection just another methods of tracking added into the drones programming.

The drones now is as smart as the replicator. It's a scary thought...

Comment

however, the drones didn't follow destiny when it dropped out of ftl - they follwed on gate usage. now, if they were really likely to hang around a planet with no remaining tech for a couple of hundred years, waiting for the novus ships, i'd agree they might be at risk - but with no gate usage or energy signature to take them to the planet, they've no reason to go in that direction. and imho, destiny being ignored until it used the gate suggests that they don't have an interest in tracking ship signals.

as for the ursini, my understanding there was that the ursini had been at war with the drones for a very long time. in that case, ursini signals were no doubt on record, and no doubt being specifically targeted. they weren't attacked indiscriminately - they were identified as a viable target due to the history involved.

Comment

Originally posted by Keeper View Post
                            unlikely, since in common descent rush and eli figured out that the drones had tracked destiny by gate usage.

since the novus people were using the stargate at various points over the last 2000 years, it's safe to say that the drones only came to their corner of the universe because of destiny, and destiny only brought them 30 years after the evacuees had left.

since the novus gate itself hasn't been used in 30 years, nothing could have led the drones to the planet - and there was no evidence of destruction from them either. they've no reason to be looking for a rogue energy signature, and there are no uses of stargates to alert them to the evacuees. they're safe imho.
                            I think in this situation, the low tech (relatively) of the Novus ships will work for them. Since the Novus ship is not travelling at FTL they probably don't give off alot of energy, I think the chances of the drones detecting them is fairly small, since Eli said it was hard for them (Destiny) to find the Novus ship and they have some knowledge of their path and probably speed.

However, I think they said most of the Novus people left the planet by Stargate before it was destroyed (only those left behind band togther and build ships), I think for those people they might be at risk. Since the drones came into that part of the galaxy recently, the drones might be at this time destroying those people now.

Comment

Originally posted by norph View Post
                              However, I think they said most of the Novus people left the planet by Stargate before it was destroyed (only those left behind band togther and build ships), I think for those people they might be at risk. Since the drones came into that part of the galaxy recently, the drones might be at this time destroying those people now.
                              unless those people are busy using gates nowadays, i doubt it tbh.

the novus people have a civilisation to rebuild. possibly even internal differences to resolve still - they worked together to leave novus, but it didn't state explicitly that everyone was happy and things would be perfect. i don't think they've much time to spare on using stargates.

of course, thats just pure guesswork on my part, but rome wasn't built in a day. with a population of millions to settle in, provide shelter for, and provide food for, i'm hoping it's a reasonable guess

Comment

*sigh* Im having this exact same debate with morbosfist over in the ALS cure thread.
                                I dunno what to put in here now..

Comment

Working...
                                X