No announcement yet.

I just don't get it...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They need more cities , one city doesn't have enough resources around it to support a entire civilization .

Also if i remember correctly they said that the planet where they evacuated the Novas was 300 hundred years away by their ships , we could calculate the speed and find out when they left and drop out of FTL there .

If they left 29 years ago then they would be at approximately 22 hours away by FTL travel .

Spoiler:
    We could approximate the speed of destinies FTL if we gave a speed to those sub-light ships (but that would be a wild guess )
    sigpic
    Stargate Mods List

I am webxro , google me .SG,ST,SW,B5 Fan since forever.
    StarTrek Excalibur enthusiast and Pardus player .
    GW member infractions : 1

Comment

Originally posted by webxro View Post
      They need more cities , one city doesn't have enough resources around it to support a entire civilization .

Also if i remember correctly they said that the planet where they evacuated the Novas was 300 hundred years away by their ships , we could calculate the speed and find out when they left and drop out of FTL there .

If they left 29 years ago then they would be at approximately 22 hours away by FTL travel .

Spoiler:
      We could approximate the speed of destinies FTL if we gave a speed to those sub-light ships (but that would be a wild guess )
      We know that there are at least two cities, there could be a lot more

Comment

There are more then 2 cities ( the definition of settlement is a lot appropriate but it's just semantics ) just think about the developent of industries .

Let's say for example that they reached a point in their development where they need a certain resource , let's call it novatinia , and let's assume that this resource can't be found anywhere near their city .What will they do , well they logical choice is to establish a permanent settlement that obtains that resource and trades it with the price city .
        This way the original city gets novatinia and the settlement get's food and supplies .
        sigpic
        Stargate Mods List

Comment

cities don't produce resources, they consume them.

Comment

Any human settlement produces , it's just what type of stage their development is .That city has workers that work to produce something .

Also
            cities don't produce resources, they consume them.
            And where are the resources being produced ? In magifarms ?
            sigpic
            Stargate Mods List

Comment

Originally posted by webxro View Post
              Any human settlement produces , it's just what type of stage their development is .That city has workers that work to produce something .

Also

And where are the resources being produced ? In magifarms ?
              and mines

Cities consume resources and those outside the cities are the one extracting raw material for use in factories that MAY be located in cities. Cities house consumers not producers. Nothing wrong with consumption mind you, but if LA slipped into the ocean, America would hardly notice the differece (we'd notice NYC but we'd soon get over that).

Comment

The idea was that the city was made there because it's closer to a resource and they need the people to work to get the resource , if you read my post you see that i am not referring to cities i say settlements .
                sigpic
                Stargate Mods List

Comment

But we sent voyager out (and others) in the 1970's. My nation formed in 1776 (according to propaganda). Those have traversed SEVERAL planets already. And even exited the solar system. Less than fifty years later. And i don't imagine much in terms of engines on that one. Just a softball from earth launched into space with a rocket as it's pitcher. Sure, voyager isn't going to land on a planet or return to earth unscathed. But we had rovers on Mars over a decade ago now. Men on the moon over 40 years ago. Granted that we're still flying B52's from 50+ years ago... But still. You'd think that after 2,000 years they'd at least have a zeppelin or something. An airport? They seemed to have roads. Not that we got to see a whole lot of the place (yet).

Comment

Originally posted by Shadow_7 View Post
                    But we sent voyager out (and others) in the 1970's. My nation formed in 1776 (according to propaganda). Those have traversed SEVERAL planets already. And even exited the solar system. Less than fifty years later. And i don't imagine much in terms of engines on that one. Just a softball from earth launched into space with a rocket as it's pitcher. Sure, voyager isn't going to land on a planet or return to earth unscathed. But we had rovers on Mars over a decade ago now. Men on the moon over 40 years ago. Granted that we're still flying B52's from 50+ years ago... But still. You'd think that after 2,000 years they'd at least have a zeppelin or something. An airport? They seemed to have roads. Not that we got to see a whole lot of the place (yet).
                    They wouldnt really need those things with just one city, or multiple cities close to each other.
                    sigpic

Comment

But they would likely have them out of boredom, wouldn't they. If they've cured all sorts of diseases and such. Surely someone wanted to emulate a bird. Or understand how the gate works. Or at least have a really nice bike to ride on said roads. The alternate reality crew might have opted for a hot air balloon just to scout the place out to find a good ground breaking spot for the city(s). As opposed to going purely on Brody's input. It's a flood plain for crying out loud.

Comment

Cities consume resources and products. Factories and such in cities consume resources to create products, which are consumed by the city, but a city itself mostly consumes. Resources usually come from the countryside; agriculture, mines, lumber, quarries etc. In medieval europe even people were 'produced' on the countryside ( cities and towns were dependant on migration in order to grow, people died faster than they were being born in there. However I do not expect such circumstances on Novus where they at least knew the value of hygiene. ) settlements may often be founded near an abundant source of resources in order to house the workers, like in those 'ye old mining towns'.

Originally posted by Shadow_7 View Post
                        But they would likely have them out of boredom, wouldn't they. If they've cured all sorts of diseases and such. Surely someone wanted to emulate a bird. Or understand how the gate works. Or at least have a really nice bike to ride on said roads. The alternate reality crew might have opted for a hot air balloon just to scout the place out to find a good ground breaking spot for the city(s). As opposed to going purely on Brody's input. It's a flood plain for crying out loud.
                        In the last scene we saw a space ship take off from the city. They built huge ships to carry millions off Novus and the one in the final scene doesn't seem to fit the bill. Too small for even thousands. It appears to be "just some ship". To me this indicates they did 'emulate a bird'. They seemed to have reached a very advanced stage of ( sublight ) flight.

Comment

Still way ahead of current earth though. We barely can reach another planet in our own star system. Let alone in another star system.

Comment

We can reach them, with current tech and 300+ years. We just don't have the stasis ability or self contained biodome tech to do it with people still living upon arrival. And we are basically talking about taking todays tech and starting from there. Plus 2000 years. And they don't have the over population / polution woes that we have to deal with on current day earth. A common language, a common history, and other issues that never existed in their world. Not that they didn't have any issues. But holocaust probably isn't a term used in any of the books that Eli wrote. And many other non-positives that basically make up our daily news.

Comment

Originally posted by MizuhoChan View Post
                              You'd think they'd have built more than one city. After all, there were two countries, they couldn't both have lived in the one city.

Why not just fly to one that DIDN'T have a fault line under it, get the cure, get supplies, etc?

Stupid plot.

Also, I'm sad that he didn't die. I got so excited, thinking that one of my most hated characters was going to die, then they go back for him and he survives a fall like that.

Ridiculous. Just kill him.
                              ALS is a genetic disease, perhaps their cure involves altering a person's DNA so if they have kids after they receive the cure they will not pass the genes on to them, so once every at risk person was given the cure ALS was effectively wiped out meaning that you wouldn't find the cure in any hospitals because they haven't needed it for 200 years. The only place to find where to make it would be the archive because it's very obscure knowledge by now and Really I can't image most other computers on the planet would still be working after 30 years of neglect and even if they where it would be pretty hard to find one with the right knowledge, I mean do you have the works of Plato or how to make Insulin saved any where on your hard rive?

Comment

Proof that the Destiny can find the ships:
                                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QioXOJh4WJQ - 2:46 - they detected a bunch derbies that are a days trip away in FTL. Surely they can detect massive, operational ships that are WAY closer than 10 hours FTW.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X