No announcement yet.

I just don't get it...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It depends on how you define city. Is San Diego to San Francisco ONE city? A couple million isn't enough for more than two cities (of that size) IMO. Not that there weren't more than two, but why build something that you don't need? They tend to be a bit more forward thinking that our typical governments. But I doubt that they're that ambitious.

It was a nice episode. Opportunities that wouldn't have otherwise existed. And a few missed ones on the journey. But all in all, they're better off than they were a few weeks ago. No more air issues now for a hundred or so years at least. Even with more people.

As far as finding the ships? To what end? If they're all in stasis. Or if there's no way to dock with them. Or they're more advanced weapons wise and don't bother hailing them first and just open up on them. Too many unknowns, far safer to head to the destination first. They can always back track and find them if it's worth the effort. One persons potential future illness isn't enough reason IMO. Too many unknowns and they'll probably need to lure the drones out of that system to save their parallel universe offspring. Or else they all die...

Comment

Originally posted by KEK View Post
      Space is pretty big. They'd have to know their exact route, and exact time they set off and their exact speed to have any chance of finding them.
      Plus who's to say they stayed on the same course.. And wouldn't the gravitational effects of the blackhole have changed things?

Traveling in anything less than FTL would still mean a hundreds year journey. You'd have to know where to drop out of FTL and then make up the distance with sublight engines. Given the scope of space, it's still an improbability.
      And since we are limited to a min of 4 hrs in FTL before we can jump out, one of our stints may shoot us way past.

When power is being interrupted and earthquakes keep hitting, someone needs to be there to make sure the uplink isn't disengaged.
      Yup/

first of all they travel by sublight. i bet they can find specs on it, so they have accelleration. they have a trajectory. they have a time period. how hard can it be? they couldn't find atlantis because they didn't know where it dropped out at what time. every second it travels, dozens of lightyears go past. not the case with the colony ships.
      How do they have specs/trajectory?
      Heck who;s to say what of the download we got was not hte first 100 years or so. NOT the most up to date stuff.

Comment

Plus who's to say they stayed on the same course.. And wouldn't the gravitational effects of the blackhole have changed things?
        Lets see, 3 ships heading towards the same planet is 300% the chances it will work if one suffers attack or malfunction.

3 ships heading 3 different gateworld (lol) colonies, factor in more travel time, more danger.

Best option was for all 3 to head to nearest gate then sort it out from there.

N.C

Comment

MizuhoChan,

Originally posted by MizuhoChan View Post
          You'd think they'd have built more than one city. After all, there were two countries, they couldn't both have lived in the one city.

Why not just fly to one that DIDN'T have a fault line under it, get the cure, get supplies, etc?

Stupid plot.

Also, I'm sad that he didn't die. I got so excited, thinking that one of my most hated characters was going to die, then they go back for him and he survives a fall like that.

Ridiculous. Just kill him.
          There's no guarantee that there are archives as extensive as the ones in the capital city of Teneria. They knew they had them when they dicovered them. They had the supplies and other things there. They needed the shuttles to ferry supplies back and forth to Destiny. Exploration excursions weren't in the cards once they knew they were on a clock.
          Last edited by Ser Scot A Ellison; 27 April 2011, 05:23 AM.
          All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story...

"Scott isn't out. Actually, he'll probably soon get back in, then out, then in, then out, then in, with rhythm and stamina." reddevil 4/22/2010

Comment

2 decent sized cities, towns and factories around it. no need to have many cities around the globe, civlization can do fine with just one city, actually better, cities are a sign of overpopulation and decadence. It looked to me they had a near utopia just like Atlantis.
            sigpic

Comment

Cities are a sign of decadence?

Really?

That's one of the funniest things I've heard in a while.

Comment

Epic Win wouldn't mind. (Guy who kisses minature giraffes)

Comment

On Common Descent Wray tells Young that there were 2 predominant countries in Novus. I doubt there were only 2 cities or there would be no need to create countries.

Comment

Really, really dumb.

We're to assume they couldn't just download the medical database, and uncheck all the stupid YouTube videos.

Comment

By the time they were thinking of said database, the database was already Compressed for transmission. so it stands to reason they couldn't look through it.

Comment

Originally posted by Python View Post
                        Really, really dumb.

We're to assume they couldn't just download the medical database, and uncheck all the stupid YouTube videos.
                        haha thats actually funny.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
                          By the time they were thinking of said database, the database was already Compressed for transmission. so it stands to reason they couldn't look through it.
                          Eli says that outright.

Comment

City doesn't necesserely mean several million people. I'm living in the biggest city of my country and here lives only around 400 000 people. (And there are only 1.5 million people living in our country). And yet here are many universities, archives, hospitals etc. So, maybe there were a lot of cities of that kind.

Comment

Originally posted by MizuhoChan View Post
                              You'd think they'd have built more than one city. After all, there were two countries, they couldn't both have lived in the one city.

Why not just fly to one that DIDN'T have a fault line under it, get the cure, get supplies, etc?

Stupid plot.
                              Because packing up and moving and finding and entering another shelter and restarting the download there would waste precious time. They had a decent investment going, do you expect them to abandon it on the off chance that they might find an even better investment? I got the impression that the planet was going up in flames ever more rapidly, and that locations not on the faultline wouldn't be all that far behind becoming equally lethal.
                              I'm an average viewer. As plain as they come. People make TV shows based on my demographic.

Million's of ZPM's, ZPM's for free! Millions of ZPM's, ZPM's for me!

Comment

As i said somewhere else, what if the ship could be accelerated by only using 1 or 2 of the FTL modules, not all 15?

Would that enable the ship to travel slowly enough for 4 hours in FTL to cover the route?

N.C

Comment

Working...
                                X