I just don't get it...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wingsabre View Post
    We don't even know if the black hole is along the path to the planet. For all we know, they went around it or something, and it's very possible that in 30 years, they were able to figure out some FTL modifications to speed up the ships.
    It'd be nigh impossible to so utterly modify a ship in-flight, not to mention the fact that such ships had better be designed to cryo-freeze the passengers or they'd have to be a lot larger. Unless there were enough for millions of people, space would be an issue.

Originally posted by Ouroboros View Post
    What I couldn't figure out myself was why everyone was acting like somebody had to sit beside the computer while it uploaded files to destiny.

Once you tell it to upload it's basically just a waiting game until the file finishes transferring so you can just leave and it'll last as long as it lasts before the ceiling falls in on it. There's no reason for a person to be standing there on the planet just to watch a status bar fill up.
    When power is being interrupted and earthquakes keep hitting, someone needs to be there to make sure the uplink isn't disengaged.

Comment

Originally posted by morbosfist View Post
      When power is being interrupted and earthquakes keep hitting, someone needs to be there to make sure the uplink isn't disengaged.
      Oh sure some catastrophe could befall it, but it's not like that's guaranteed to happen if you leave. That's what they were acting like. "If someone doesn't stay here and keep watching this status bar the upload won't work".

It could just as easily run on its own for years without incident. Kinda like it had been doing right up until that day they got there and everything suddenly decided to get horribly worse all of a sudden.

What rotten luck that was huh.

Comment

Originally posted by MizuhoChan View Post
        You'd think they'd have built more than one city. After all, there were two countries, they couldn't both have lived in the one city.

Why not just fly to one that DIDN'T have a fault line under it, get the cure, get supplies, etc?

Stupid plot.

Also, I'm sad that he didn't die. I got so excited, thinking that one of my most hated characters was going to die, then they go back for him and he survives a fall like that.

Ridiculous. Just kill him.

I'm sorry, I must have missed the part in the episode where they said "every person in this entire country lived in just this one city, no one lived outside of it and there were no other villages, towns, or cities".

Except that never happened, and you have zero reason to imply that there was just one city.

What is more likely is that this was the biggest city in the country, and that it had the biggest shelter and as such had the most complete archive.

Comment

Indeed /\ Konrad, and I'd like to add that we didn't go to some city at random, we had an actual expedition member to guide us-The Novan Equivalent of an SG team leader. I find the idea that their was one city slightly egronous, it's much more likely that the city that we visited was the capital of Tenaran civilisation/The oldest settlement on the planet.
          sigpic
          Made by Aragon101

Spoiler:
          Episode III: Phantasm.
          "Shadows are patient, shadows just wait...'til they cover the occeans, the cities...the whole of the world. Shadows always win."

Comment

Varro is actually one of my favourite characters on SGU, before he fell I thought he would be killed off. Since we saw on the Kino vids Young and TJ got together and Varro saw it too and they killed the TJ/Varro plot with it. I was certain he was dead when he fell down, but luckily he didn't. Hopefully he will survive his injuries
            sigpic

Comment

actually the Colony ships are easy to find.

first of all they travel by sublight. i bet they can find specs on it, so they have accelleration. they have a trajectory. they have a time period. how hard can it be? they couldn't find atlantis because they didn't know where it dropped out at what time. every second it travels, dozens of lightyears go past. not the case with the colony ships.

if anything, they can track the plasma/ion trail of the ships.

Comment

Why can't Destiny jump out of Hyperspace early to find the Novus ship(s) ?

Simple: Dropping out early, could damage the FTL drive. Mentioned repeatedly throughout SGU.

Comment

what i don't get is why can't destiny scan for near by ships, they wouldn't be that far away from the planet, and i imagine if they could figure out where they are heading there is only so many paths you could take.
                  sigpic

Comment

They know "roughly" when the generational ships left and "roughly" when they will arrive. Space is big, really big, so you will need to calculate several dozen digits behind the comma in order to be accurate enough to drop out near them. half a % off, that's a couple hundred billion miles right there. So far destiny hasn't even been able to make readings of planets its been in orbit off, I doubt it's sensors have that far a range. I seriously doubt it would be able to scan several lightyears of space. Atlantis could do that because it tapped into subspace, but it appears the ancients were not using subspace for flight yet when they built destiny.

Remember: Space = vast. You will be needing the time they left and the speeds the ships are capable of very precisely in order to have any hope of finding them. You can't drop out "somewhere over there", fly with sublight in either direction and find them. You'd need a couple dozen years to cover any kind of distance in space. Sublight is horrificly slow in the SG series.

However I imagine they'll say something about it next episode. They can't just go on and keep about 200-300 people extra on the ship. I am positive that it will be resolved.

Comment

I think there was a quote within the episode along the lines of:

"The whole planet is falling apart."

The crew had already suffered one injury and I don't think they wanted to risk flying around to find anything else.

And really, I don't give a **** about minor logical inconsistencies that don't really break the episode's entertainment value at all. The episode was a great part of the series and a good tribute to humanity in general, the line "I'm glad they got their act together," really had me going. So you trolls can go ahead and nitpick it to death; I hope you have fun with that.

Comment

^

Nuff said.

N.C

Comment

With a guide, we pretty much flew to the equivalent of the vault that containted both the Library of Congress and the entire Smithsonian museum. That's not something that is located in every city.

Comment

They could have gone to any Hospital or collage in any city to cure her the cure could be some thing they wouldn't be able to reproduce on destany, I also presume a lot of the population or a very big advance party evacuated before the gate was buried so the cure could be their.

Comment

I actually think that there might have been only one or two metropolises on Novus. I mean there were only several million people living on Novus and hell there are over 8 million people who live on Manhattan Island alone.

There were probably small towns and rural communities, but I seriously doubt that there were more than 2 cities. The population just doesn't merit it.

Comment

Until I see proof otherwise there was only the two cities.

Comment

Working...
                                X