X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just people being nit picky as usual.
    sigpic

Comment

I really didn't see anything anti -woman in this ep at all. (well unless you mean women wearing skirts,men wearing pants, ect)
      I did wonder how they got such elaborate looking clothes(i.e.buttons, material, ect)just a few years after they got there... but I didn't see any scenes showing the women sitting around sewing and cooking while the men chopped wood, ect.
      We had a scene with James chopping wood and we aren't really told who made the clothes, did the household work, ect. We are shown that life is very hard, back-breaking work, which is to be expected.
      I guess you are going to WANT to have a lot of babies in the first few generations to get your population going and more diverse...and in the natural childbirth question-I don't think they had a choice in the matter.
      Camille apparently had no biological descendents and yet was a founding "mother" of the culture, being mayor,passing on her wisdom, culture, sayings, ect.Writing the constitution(and yes I wondered how she managed to outlive everyone else, Eli,Chloe, Scott, ect-)
      I thought that was kind of neat that she became so influential to the Novans.

Comment

Now I am giving it a 6. Bad mood. have to definitley watch that again, then Ill rethink my opinion!
        sigpic

Comment

I hadn't really though about the "women in skirts" thing - that was odd, I think they were just going for a "frontier-look".

If you think about it, skirts are much easier to sew than trousers, so maybe everyone should have been in sarongs!

I personally wear skirts all the time (suites my body-type) and am about as feminist as you can get and still get invited to dinner parties (that's a joke), so I don't see any fuss about it, but the costumes were a bit odd.
          sigpic
          Goodbye and Good Travels, Destiny!

Comment

Originally posted by Snookie16 View Post
            They put women back 100 years...shame on them! 2/10
            When your planet has a population of 80, then every women's main goal should be to have as many children as they can. That's logic.

Comment

Originally posted by carmencatalina View Post
              I hadn't really though about the "women in skirts" thing - that was odd, I think they were just going for a "frontier-look".

If you think about it, skirts are much easier to sew than trousers, so maybe everyone should have been in sarongs!

I personally wear skirts all the time (suites my body-type) and am about as feminist as you can get and still get invited to dinner parties (that's a joke), so I don't see any fuss about it, but the costumes were a bit odd.
              I wear skirts a lot, too! and I think they are more comfortable,too! And yes, probably easier to sew, as you mentioned!
              I was going to mention that but I didn't want to get too word-y. I think they were just going for the frontier look as well.
              I give the ep and 8, or maybe 9. Loved it, had a few quibbles, but all in all good episode.

Comment

Hello everybody,
                It's my first post here...
                I found this episode very good :
                - The Flash-backs are very good
                - Good visual effects and play of light
                - The emotions were very well managed

It's really unfortunate the good episodes come at the end !!!
                In their trailer Syfy said :
                "Every destiny has an ending".... So, why they don't make an ending for SGU ?

PS : Sorry if it's bad writting but I'm not english.

Comment

you must admit that all along sgu has had a difficult time with their female characters! There was too much "Little house on the prarie" going on here for me! But then just my opinion you know. it's what bothered ME about the ep.

This may be why most people who rate the eps low won't say why...it becomes "how stupid of you not to like it!"
                  All of the above statments are merely my own opinion unless otherwise stated.

Comment

you must admit that all along sgu has had a difficult time with their female characters! There was too much "Little house on the prarie" going on here for me! But then just my opinion you know. it's what bothered ME about the ep.

This may be why most people who rate the eps low won't say why...it becomes "how stupid of you not to like it!"
                    I don't think its stupid if people don't like the episode. Just share why you didn't like it.

I think the episode was far from Little House on the Prairie. If that were the case...the writer of the planet's constitution wouldn't have been a woman. Yes, there was lots of baby makin' going on, but they were trying to survive...to build a new society.
                    sigpic

Comment

I don't think you're stupid for not liking the episode at all-you're being honest and that's a good thing! Not everyone is going to like every episode or even every show.
                      Nothing wrong with that! That's what makes us all different.
                      I think the ep was trying to show"here's this great advanced civilization from such humble and hard beginnings, just a handful of people."
                      Last edited by Perelandra; 27 April 2011, 11:12 AM.

Comment

No one said that, but you posted that the episode "set back women by 100 years", and that naturally lead to us asking the question, why? You didn't specify.

We came up with several (reasonable, I think) ideas (natural childbirth, gender-specific roles, the costumes) and discussed them.

You are welcome to join in the discussion, or not, as you see fit. That's how we roll!
                        sigpic
                        Goodbye and Good Travels, Destiny!

Comment

I am actually interested in why you think SGU is putting women back 100 years.

Comment

I gave a 9 to Epilogue. I truly enjoyed this episode, seeing all the back story to the colonization of Novus, who procreated with whom (Corp Barnes & Eli?), Rush solving the CO2 issue, Dale growing his backbone and telling off Rush and of course, Young finally comforting TJ even if this new dilemma has terrible consequences for her.

I even liked that Varro was operating as a member of the crew, saved TJ's life and Young going back for him when I thought he should have been toast.

I will miss this show terribly.

Comment

As to the clothing discussion, in the first views (Chloe & Matt's wedding) where their homespun clothes were evident, TJ, Chloe & Matt all had on short shirts with pegs through holes rather than buttons or zippers. Eli's shirt (6 months after Chloe gets pregnant) is a rawhide tie closure.

In Common Descent, Steven was wrapped in Young's jacket seconds after birth because they didn't have any clothing in which to place him. The covering over TJ was just a short animal skin leather. In Epilogue, when TJ is stitching up Young's leg she remarked that the needle was the best Brody could make on short notice.

When you don't have much in the way of resources, time and skill, this is an accurate depiction of clothing you'd need to wear. As you make more of these items, you'll get better at it. It's called practice. That's how our ancestors learned to make what we wear today.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben 'Teal'c would WIN!!' Noble View Post
                                I am actually interested in why you think SGU is putting women back 100 years.
                                one problem sgu has had all along is the women are all defined by their relationships with men (or without men as in Camille's case)- this episode just continued that attitude. a woman is more than her personal relationships with a man. merely how I veiwed the ep.
                                All of the above statments are merely my own opinion unless otherwise stated.

Comment

Working...
                                X