No announcement yet.

Plot Hole - Drone Activation/Deactivation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The only plot hole (if you can call it that) that didn't sit right with me was them finding a drone the size of a large shoe to fit in the back of the shuttle bay.....when the rest of the drones were fricken massive.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Phenom View Post
      The only plot hole (if you can call it that) that didn't sit right with me was them finding a drone the size of a large shoe to fit in the back of the shuttle bay.....when the rest of the drones were fricken massive.
      I'd call it more convenience than plot hole.
      sigpic

Comment

The only plot hole in the episode is that the drones so far as we seen seem incapable of destroying there creators, by design, and they also do seem to have the necessary AI.
        Unless there is a central intelligence controlling each of the drones clusters. But then you would of thought such a thing would of sent the second command ship the access codes to control the leftover drones.

So it will be interesting to learn the history of the drones and what happen to there creators. I personally doubt they are extinct.
        Last edited by knowles2; 12 March 2011, 01:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Egle01 View Post
          I'd call it more convenience than plot hole.
          Right, don't take this the wrong way Egle01, cause its not directed at you ok.

Why the hell is there a smaller drone?
          It makes absolutely zero sense in terms of the story for there to be a small drone at all. You can create all the reasons you wish for thier existance, but the simple fact is, there is no "in story" explanation for it. Everytime the writers "broke the rules" for things like how long a wormhole can exist, there should be an "in ep" reason for it, but why are there small drones for any other reason than for "plot conveniance".

Quite simply, "Plot Conveniance" is another (albeit more PC) term for plot hole. If SG1/SGA extended a wormhole's duration for more than 38 minutes without a darn good IN SHOW reason, I'd be calling "plot hole" on that as well, so don't think it is my dislike of SGU fueling this comment.
          sigpic
          ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
          A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
          The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
            Right, don't take this the wrong way Egle01, cause its not directed at you ok.
            Alrighty.

It's technology created by an alien race. We don't (have to) know everything about its operations, not every piece of information is spoon-fed. I appreciate and support the idea of having different drones, it's a nice change. Just because we don't know or we weren't told why not all drones are the same, doesn't mean there isn't a reason and that it's a plot hole. It's convenient that we happened to find so quickly suitable drone that fit perfectly at the back of the shuttle. I don't see 'plot hole' and 'plot convenience' being the same thing, at all. Even with fan glasses off.
            sigpic

Comment

Maybe the alien drone race ran out of metal and they only had enough left over to make a small one. Better than wasting it I guess. Like the US Army making a small tank, just not to waste things.
              sigpic

Comment

in Resurgence we already see the two types of drones. the "single fin" ones like the one the Shuttle captured and the Double Fin ones. (shuttle sized). it was clear from that episode that the drones weren't that big

Why the hell is there a smaller drone?
                It makes absolutely zero sense in terms of the story for there to be a small drone at all. You can create all the reasons you wish for thier existance, but the simple fact is, there is no "in story" explanation for it. Everytime the writers "broke the rules" for things like how long a wormhole can exist, there should be an "in ep" reason for it, but why are there small drones for any other reason than for "plot conveniance".
                i'd suspect anti-ship and anti-fighter roles. big ones are anti-ship, small ones are anti-fighters. and the big ones seem to outnumber the small ones at least 4 to 1. which suggests the small ones are support craft while the big ones are the backbone

It's convenient that we happened to find so quickly suitable drone that fit perfectly at the back of the shuttle. I don't see 'plot hole' and 'plot convenience' being the same thing, at all. Even with fan glasses off.
                i don't see why a plot convenience is so bad. we have had tons of those. like how convenient is it that the one system lord to follow Anubis is the most reasonable system lord and is the one system lord to know how to modify gates to dial all at once. (Reckoning). or how about meeting the right people in the right time at the right moment. like Larrin in BAMSR.

they're not plot HOLES since we know Larrin has an aurora and we know they can detect ships at distances, and we knew Baal could modify gates and we know he followed baal. so it's not a plot hole. but they are rather convenient things.

the sizes of the alien ships and their fightercraft in general are convenient, yes.

Comment

It's technology created by an alien race. We don't (have to) know everything about its operations, not every piece of information is spoon-fed.
                  Agreed.

I personally like not being told everything. Just look at the discussion something as simple as the size of the drones or how they operate has sparked. The explanations given are logical and in my opinion not required in the episode.

I love things that result in fans coming up with their own theories. It's probably the main thing I miss most about Lost (Show, not the episode).

Comment

Originally posted by SG-1-AU View Post
                    Ok, so Destiny shows up in the graveyard and activates the drones without the command ship being present. Yet when the command ship is destroyed, the drones don't work. What gives? These things aren't capable of any simple logic on their own?
                    Probably, the command ship just made them in sleep mode to trap any coming ship that interested with the wreckage.

Originally posted by SG-1-AU View Post
                    Also, Eli and Rush figure out how to block the subspace signal in a couple of hours. The Ursini on the other hand died out and never were able to come up with a viable tactic. Really? REALLY???
                    There was no Ursini survivors on the site, right. That was your answer. They'll never figure it out because they never stay at the battle ground.

Comment

Probably, the command ship just made them in sleep mode to trap any coming ship that interested with the wreckage.
                      more likely explanation is that the Drones have eradicated all advanced life and went dormant as their mission was completed.

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                        more likely explanation is that the Drones have eradicated all advanced life and went dormant as their mission was completed.
                        I'm not sure about that. Destiny went there because of the weak energy signature. Probably, the command ship also reading the same energy signature and command the drone to stay there until they found activities or movement from the area.

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                          I read it the same way. Mission complete, go to sleep until the next mission.
                          sigpic

Comment

Alrighty.

It's technology created by an alien race. We don't (have to) know everything about its operations, not every piece of information is spoon-fed. I appreciate and support the idea of having different drones, it's a nice change. Just because we don't know or we weren't told why not all drones are the same, doesn't mean there isn't a reason and that it's a plot hole. It's convenient that we happened to find so quickly suitable drone that fit perfectly at the back of the shuttle. I don't see 'plot hole' and 'plot convenience' being the same thing, at all. Even with fan glasses off.
                            Sorry I'm late, RL got in the way

I suppose it could rest on what you define as a plot hole, and what you define as a plot conveniance. To me, a Plot hole is when something happens or exists for no good reason that can be explained "in story" Taking the drones again, to have small drones does not make sense because IIRC, in the 2 eps involving them, thier size was never brought up. If during a firefight someone turned around to Young and said "Colonel, the defensive batteries can handle the larger ones, but the smaller ones are breaking through", (or something similar) then, this wouldn't be an issue for me at all. That they didn't, makes it more of a plot hole.

Now, plot conveniance, I can totally buy. Again, for me, finding a drone so close, having it just fit inside the shuttle, the blues turning up after they get the drone onboard etc, these are all plot conveiniances I have no issue with.
                            Am I making sense to you on how I see these things as different?
                            sigpic
                            ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                            A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                            The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
                              I suppose it could rest on what you define as a plot hole, and what you define as a plot conveniance. To me, a Plot hole is when something happens or exists for no good reason that can be explained "in story" Taking the drones again, to have small drones does not make sense because IIRC, in the 2 eps involving them, thier size was never brought up. If during a firefight someone turned around to Young and said "Colonel, the defensive batteries can handle the larger ones, but the smaller ones are breaking through", (or something similar) then, this wouldn't be an issue for me at all. That they didn't, makes it more of a plot hole.
                              But how were they supposed to know which ones are defensive batteries and which ones not? Only source of information would've been the Ursini, but they weren't saying more than necessary.

Now, plot conveniance, I can totally buy. Again, for me, finding a drone so close, having it just fit inside the shuttle, the blues turning up after they get the drone onboard etc, these are all plot conveiniances I have no issue with.
                              Am I making sense to you on how I see these things as different?
                              I understand what you see as plot convenience since I agree with it and think the same way. But not about plot holes. As I see it, plot holes are story elements that contradict what's been established before. Unanswered questions not being among them.
                              sigpic

Comment

I understand what you see as plot convenience since I agree with it and think the same way. But not about plot holes. As I see it, plot holes are story elements that contradict what's been established before. Unanswered questions not being among them.
                                Those are continuity errors. Plot holes are gaps in reasoning that doesn't explain how the story got from point A and point B. Note this explanation does not apply to unanswered question as long as we know how the story got there.
                                Originally posted by aretood2
                                Jelgate is right

Comment

Working...
                                X