Seed ship 2000 years ahead of Destiny?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FrodoFraggins View Post
    What about the SG-1 episode "1969" where they went back in time to a location that had no stargate. The gate dematerialized after they arrived. Seemed pretty hokey to me.
    yeah as much as i love that episode that bothers me. it doesn't make sense that they would end up in the gate room except for a plot reason. i think what they should have done is have them start where the gate is and be taken away by the government. then have them trying to get back to the gate.
    sigpic

Comment

What about the SG-1 episode "1969" where they went back in time to a location that had no stargate. The gate dematerialized after they arrived. Seemed pretty hokey to me.
      That was the very first instance of time travel in SG, so it's probably just that the rules hadn't been established by the writers yet. It does bother me a little, but I'm willing to forgive little things like that while the writers were still finding their footing.

Comment

Originally posted by SaberBlade View Post
        When ever a Stargate is used to go back in time, the wormhole double backs on itself and you arrive where you left from just in a different time. So if you left from Earth in the 2,011 and travelled back in time 2,000 years, you should come through the wormhole in the year 0,011 on Earth.

Because Destiny wasn't in that region of space 2,000 years ago, when the wormhole double backed it couldn't reconnect to itself so it connected with another gate close by. That's why it was said "there was no Stargate here 2,000 years ago".

It is however possible that there were no Stargates there 2,000 years ago and that the same effect of the gate appearing then shimmering away happened as in the episode "1969". If this was the case, they are lucky they didn't wind up in connect to themselves, arrive on Destiny then have the Destiny disappear. However the effect of time travel using a Stargate, while mostly consistent is changed for plot purposes.
        But if they arrived on the planet and saw the Gate disappear I think that they may have found it interesting enough to note in Kino footage etc. Also no Gate means they wouldn't have been able to gate travel.
        Originally posted by traylormatt View Post
        I can see there being a gate there 2,000 years before Destiny arrived. Only if Destiny has been traveling for millions of years. If the seed ships are just a little bit faster than Destiny then over the space of millions of years the seed ships could pull a few thousand years ahead.

Two brothers leave their house at the same time. They both are driving to the shops but one is in a people carrier and the other is in a smaller sports car. They are not going to arrive at the shops at the same time. The smaller sports car will get there first.

If the seed ships are x amount faster than Destiny every year say, multiply that over millions of years and you have a few thousand year cushion. We saw the ruins on that one planet that had a Stargate. We don't know if the seed ships would have been programmed to plant a gate on a planet that already has intelligent life, personally id say they wouldn't (though this could have been how the blue aliens found out about Destiny) so if something evolved after the gates got there then it must have been some time between building a society and it becoming ruins.
        Wait so are you saying that you think that the Seed ships are faster than Destiny?

Originally posted by Shadow_7 View Post
        Of course would the older model ships (seed ships) have the faster engines? Granted that Destiny seems predestined to stop a lot. More so with Rush pushing buttons.
        Yes Destiny has to stop to gate to planets and gather supplies, but the Seed ships need to stop to, I assume, gather material to build Gates, assemble Gates (although this may be done in FTL) and then drop off the Gates on the proper worlds.

So ''Hokey'' that TPTB changed they're minds halfway through ''1969''.
        Whatever the ancients can do we can, eventually, do better.

Comment

Originally Posted by Shadow_7
          Of course would the older model ships (seed ships) have the faster engines? Granted that Destiny seems predestined to stop a lot. More so with Rush pushing buttons.
          Yes Destiny has to stop to gate to planets and gather supplies, but the Seed ships need to stop to, I assume, gather material to build Gates, assemble Gates (although this may be done in FTL) and then drop off the Gates on the proper worlds.
          This is where my theory of leapfrog comes into more light imo.

1 Seed ship stops in one galaxy and fills it with gates, whilst the next Seed ship stops in the next and gathers resources to build the gates, #1 finishes seeding and heads to galaxy 3 leaving #2 to Seed galaxy 2 and Seed #3 has finished its Seed of the galaxy before 1 and heads of to galaxy 3 to begin harvesting.

N.C

Comment

Originally posted by Ziel View Post
            Wait so are you saying that you think that the Seed ships are faster than Destiny?
            I would say they have to be faster than Destiny, simply because they have to routinely stop to gather materials and plant gates. But that's just my opinion.

Comment

Also dont forget were talking about an indeterminate amount of Seed ships ahead of Destiny.

N.C

Comment

Actually the gate-ROOM dematerialized. Essentially reality shifted. It was the very first time-travel episode and they were still making the rules. I throw it in the same pile as 3-shots with a Zat disintegrates.

Comment

Originally posted by SaberBlade View Post

It is however possible that there were no Stargates there 2,000 years ago and that the same effect of the gate appearing then shimmering away happened as in the episode "1969". If this was the case, they are lucky they didn't wind up in connect to themselves, arrive on Destiny then have the Destiny disappear. However the effect of time travel using a Stargate, while mostly consistent is changed for plot purposes.
                  That is a good catch.. 1969 did show them coming through a gate which soon vanished...

Comment

How did they get back in 1969 then? I forget.

Comment

they pulled the gate out of storage.

However the effect of time travel using a Stargate, while mostly consistent is changed for plot purposes.
                      given the nature and circumstances of time travel with gate's, they're very very lucky that these kind of things happen, in stead of gates blowing up or so.

Comment

Originally posted by onik View Post
                        Correct me if I'm wrong, but they were weeks away from Novas in this episode and even if months away from their location in Twin Destinies, the fact they went back 2000 years means a gate existed for them to go back to. What am I missing?
                        That's a really interesting thought, I don't know how I missed it.

Presumably, then, the Ancients spent more than a single generation working on the Destiny project (as stated in Twin Destinies), but rather spent two THOUSAND years working on it
                        "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Even if the Seed ships and Destiny are the same speed, Destiny could easily fall behind.

If they were launched a year before Destiny, stop at more or less the same rate as Destiny does, yet only have to recharge once for every 5 or 10 times Destiny does (they have impressive energy reserves, apparently), they could easily gain a lead of an hour or two every year. Over a million years... that adds up.

EDIT: Did some quickie math. It would need to be about 10 hours a year. Which means the Seed ships would only need to be about 3 seconds faster each hour - it's like going 60.01 mph instead of 60 mph. I imagine the Seed ships would manage that just by being smaller.
                          Last edited by k1037; 20 April 2011, 10:52 PM.

Comment

Presumably, then, the Ancients spent more than a single generation working on the Destiny project (as stated in Twin Destinies), but rather spent two THOUSAND years working on it
                            actually no.

the Seed Ships outnumber Destiny. this means that the Seed Ships work faster than Destiny, thus outrun it.

also Destiny drifted at least once through the Void for an uncertain amount of time inbetween galaxies (Sabotage: "the ship made it barely last time, falling just short")

Comment

Also good points. Not entirely concrete (who's to say that the seed ships charge up any more efficiently than Destiny at this point?), but good points nonetheless.
                              "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                                actually no.

the Seed Ships outnumber Destiny. this means that the Seed Ships work faster than Destiny, thus outrun it.

also Destiny drifted at least once through the Void for an uncertain amount of time inbetween galaxies (Sabotage: "the ship made it barely last time, falling just short")
                                Good point. That drift alone could easily account for thousands of years.

Comment

Working...
                                X