No announcement yet.

Stuff that bugged me in 'Common Descent'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can of worms, people, let's not go there.

Comment

wow this place is like moveon.org

Comment

Not a reply to anyone in particular, but just general advice about language, culture, technology or genetics:

If some aspect of this episode seems too unbelievable to you, please do some actual research into the topic. "What BSG or Star Trek said" doesn't count.

At most, it's a slight stretch from the most likely result of this specific scenario -- (and in my opinion,) perfectly acceptable for a 40-minute episode's scope.

Admittedly, of course, the mixed ethnicities wouldn't be accurate, but they did a fine job representing the idea.

The only fair question would be the tents, but this is easily explained as a "seasonal camp" or any other (very) temporary settlement. It may not have been spelled out for the viewer, but common sense provides these reasonable answers ahead of most others.

(Maybe if Dr. Jackson were a part of the crew he'd be asking all these questions on screen for the sake of the viewer, but I don't find it necessary at all.)

I've been waiting for this episode for months and had very high expectations. I'm thoroughly impressed -- very solid episode.

Rock on.
        sigpic

Comment

I'm satisfied with the above explanations for most of the stuff, but the tents were the part that bugged me the most. I mean, you took the time to build a tower with a freakin' radar dish on top, so why are you still sleeping under a tarp held up by some tree branches???

Comment

And another, just because you choose to be a lesbian/homosexual, doesn't mean that you can't develop feelings/interest in the opposite sex again.
            sexuality in any shape or form is NOT a CHOICE. NOT. NOT. NOT.

i hope that's clear. what you just said is as stupid as denying evolution. do it again and i'll give you a stick, a campfire and a mammoth.

second of all, the desire for children exists, with heterosexual and homosexual couples. no matter what. why do you think you have all those gay couples adopting or otherwise concieving children?

Wray obviously had the desire for a child. if you're gay, sex with a -in this case man- isn't something horrible. i remember stories of one gay man ( a kinda celeb here) who had sex with woman all the time, liked it, and then afterwards felt sad about it and well, disappointed.

Wray could have sex with a man, enjoy it, but she will never feel that sweet thing called... love.

remember that. sex does not equal love. sex is just two people fiddling with eachother's reproductive organs. love is a wholly different beast.

Comment

Originally posted by dgh64 View Post
              I'm satisfied with the above explanations for most of the stuff, but the tents were the part that bugged me the most. I mean, you took the time to build a tower with a freakin' radar dish on top, so why are you still sleeping under a tarp held up by some tree branches???
              Maybe these tents are super fancy special and almost TARDIS like. When you go inside the little dome ones they actually become huge with log fires and king sized beds and walk in wardrobes.

Or maybe this was just a temp settlement set up near the gate as a watch post and the other settlements had better buildings.

Comment

Originally posted by blazingfire View Post
                Can of worms, people, let's not go there.
                I kind of hope it's just trolling, for their sake.

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                  sexuality in any shape or form is NOT a CHOICE. NOT. NOT. NOT.

i hope that's clear. what you just said is as stupid as denying evolution. do it again and i'll give you a stick, a campfire and a mammoth.

second of all, the desire for children exists, with heterosexual and homosexual couples. no matter what. why do you think you have all those gay couples adopting or otherwise concieving children?

Wray obviously had the desire for a child. if you're gay, sex with a -in this case man- isn't something horrible. i remember stories of one gay man ( a kinda celeb here) who had sex with woman all the time, liked it, and then afterwards felt sad about it and well, disappointed.

Wray could have sex with a man, enjoy it, but she will never feel that sweet thing called... love.

remember that. sex does not equal love. sex is just two people fiddling with eachother's reproductive organs. love is a wholly different beast.
                  What?

Comment

He saying that being homosexual doesn't stop someone having heterosexual sex and enjoying it, and vice versa. There's a lot more to sexual orientation than just who you enjoy having sex with.

Comment

Originally posted by KEK View Post
                      He saying that being homosexual doesn't stop someone having heterosexual sex and enjoying it, and vice versa. There's a lot more to sexual orientation than just who you enjoy having sex with.
                      So, when someone says, "lesbianism is a choice" and someone follows up with, "lesbians can chose heterosexual sex and enjoy it", that all makes sense to you? And in your opinion, saying "lesbianism is a choice" is beyond ignorant, but saying "that lesbian can chose to enjoy heterosexual sex" is what?

And if you heard someone saying to a lesbian, you should have sex with men, you'll probably enjoy it. What would your reaction be? That that is ignorant/homophobic, or a truism?

Comment

Originally posted by The_Asgard_live View Post
                        So, when someone says, "lesbianism is a choice" and someone follows up with, "lesbians can chose heterosexual sex and enjoy it", that all makes sense to you? And in your opinion, saying "lesbianism is a choice" is beyond ignorant, but saying "that lesbian can chose to enjoy heterosexual sex" is what?

And if you heard someone saying to a lesbian, you should have sex with men, you'll probably enjoy it. What would your reaction be? That that is ignorant/homophobic, or a truism?
                        People aren't animals. All sexual encounter (apart from rape) are by choice, to say otherwise is just silly and those sophisphisticated enough to enjoy scifi realize this. The more affluent a society becomes, the more of this you will see. This further reinforces the choice line of thought. I'm beginning to pick up that the SGU fans and traditional SG fans have a slightly different worldview.

As far as the "love" thing goes that might have a point. People love people of the opposite sex, same sex, animals (kind of sick - not wanting to be offend anyone), children (kind of sick - not wanting to offend anyone), etc.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Asgard_live View Post

I'm not sure where you're drawing the connection. If you're a lesbian then you're only attracted to women, and only want relationships with women, while sex is just an act. The only way the bizarre 'lesbianism is a choice' argument works is if 'lesbianism' is nothing more than sexual acts, which is ridiculous, or at the very least an incredibly shallow and inaccurate view of what being a lesbian means.

I'd think it was a silly thing to say, as I presumably the majority of lesbians wouldn't enjoy sex with a man any more than you would or I would (assuming you're heterosexual), even if some do.
                          Last edited by KEK; 20 April 2011, 03:33 AM.

Comment

GUYS. THE HORSE IS DEAD. STOP BEATING IT.

****. What did that horse ever do to you lot?
                            ~ When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take back the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN! ~

~ Burning people! He says what we're all thinking! ~

Comment

It's an important topic, and on topic too.

Comment

Originally posted by KEK View Post
                                I'm not sure where you're drawing the connection. If you're a lesbian then you're only attracted to women, and only want relationships with women, while sex is just an act. The only way the bizarre 'lesbianism is a choice' argument works is if 'lesbianism' is nothing more than sexual acts, which is ridiculous, or at the very least an incredibly shallow and inaccurate view of what being a lesbian means.
                                Hmmmm. Yes sir, complicated stuff. So to you, lesbians can and do have sex with men, likely enjoy it, but this in no way effects their overall lesbian-ness?

If you overheard a couple guys at a bar hitting on a lesbian saying "yeah, sure you are a lesbian, but you should still have sex with men, you'll probably enjoy it..." You'd consider those guys to be expressing a valid 'deep' and 'accurate' POV?

Comment

Working...
                                X