No announcement yet.

Stuff that bugged me in 'Common Descent'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think the idea of Latin to our English is ridiculous. Some good friends of mine studied Latin at Cambridge University and sure they could knock out the odd word, but they certainly couldn't hold their own against someone that was brought back from thousands of years ago speaking it as their first language. So if English were those peoples Latin then they are some damn impressive linguists.

Comment

Originally posted by traylormatt View Post
      I think the idea of Latin to our English is ridiculous. Some good friends of mine studied Latin at Cambridge University and sure they could knock out the odd word, but they certainly couldn't hold their own against someone that was brought back from thousands of years ago speaking it as their first language. So if English were those peoples Latin then they are some damn impressive linguists.
      With that comparison in mind, we also have never had recorded conversations in Latin to make sure we kept the context straight. The Novans had recordings of English in it's regular every day use, so it stands to reason they would have kept the language relatively intact.

Comment

I think you took it a little bit too literally. Let me explain why this ides works for me with a different example.

Think of Novans' English like of Standars Arabic for Arabs. MSA (Modern Standard Arabic) is a language they all learn at school, they use to write and read in but hardly ever speak - it's used only during particularly important and solemn events. Nevertheless, most people are able to speak in MSA fluently even if in everyday life they use their local dialects to communicate. So basically, local dialects are used for the communication within a group (village, city district etc) while MSA for official communication and/or communication with foreigners and Arabs from different parts of the country/world. I can certainly see Novans using English in such way.
        There's a good chance this opinion is shared by Ashizuri
        sigpic
        awesome sig by Josiane

Comment

About the settlement still living in tents after 30 years. That kinda bugged me too.

We saw that the Destiny crew, who were stranded on a planet completely unprepared managed to build a small village complete with houses that had tiled roofs, fences, barrels and newly made clothes in only 10 years.

So I would think that a group sent to a planet for the specific purpose of starting a settlement, should be able to accomplish at least that in a period of 30 years.

Comment

Originally posted by Esquin View Post
            The ones everyone keeps pointing out that you come and yell at them for. YOu're a fanboy, I get it. But it's time to accept that the show is dead.
            Way to jump to conclusions. I am no massive fan boy but its a reasonable question to ask. A question that you have decided not to answer in your reply which indicates that you are likely just a troll......
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
              [*]how is it that Wray (apparently) has descendants?
              Maybe she realized that for population needs she needs to rethink her 'being lesbian'. I know several people i have worked with made that comments in various discussions (eg what would you do for survivng a zombie apocalypse)..

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
              [*]Er....volcanic winter shouldn't have any bearing on whether or not the city-planet's gate works or not (this may still be resolved in an upcoming episode, I don't know)[/list]
              It would if said volcanic erruption buried the gate.. like what happened in 100 days.

Originally posted by escyos View Post
              #I imagine that because the crew of the Destiny was deified (sort of) they would keep the langauge as close to what they spoke as they could.
              #Unless the gate was buried, which as we've seen can disable it.
              Good point on the Deification..

And thanks for the back up on the burying
              Originally posted by Nathan Reynolds View Post
              The only thing that trully bugged me was that T.J. had a son with Young and not Varro. :-)
              T.J. and Varro storyline was interesting and they just throw it out the window. IMO it would be much cooler if the baby was Varro's.
              Maybe thats cause Varro died.. Who knows

Originally posted by aquaman View Post
              Everyone seems to be missing the obvious, there are two machine destroyers of all technology and there were TWO different cultures on neuvos... It seems their rivalry went beyond nuking thy neighbour, but using tech to destroy the tech of thy neighbour which has lead to their extinction and the only survivors are the few settlers that are on off neuvo's world alpha, beta, gamma, delta etc sites...
              If they nuked one another, then why is that big city still standing? Why no radiation or EM radiation?

I think I would act in the same way. Hell, if someone in a different town to me somehow knows my name I get a little shocked and wonder who I could possibly know around here who would talk about me or show a picture so a stranger might no me. Now if that happened billions of light years away where humans aren't meant to exist (pesky aren't we, 2 galaxies isn't enough, we need to keep spreading) then I would be damn scared. Unless Eli gave them all facebook accounts???
              Very true. It would be a natural reaction to keep one's guns pointed on someone suspicious. Remember how they treated the people who came back from the faith planet. PLUS maybe he was trying to act all hard to regain his rep..

Comment

they-goofed.jpg

According to this screenshot, they lined up everything in front of the gate. Why?

If there was an incoming wormhole, the event horizon splash would disintegrate all the stuff blocking in front of it.

This was around the 21:xx - 22:xx mark sans commercials.

With the gate room being as big as it is, I cannot imagine someone making the order to stack those stuff directly IN FRONT of the gate.

And they weren't in FTL either.

Bright side is.... they now have CLOTHES!!!!! But I highly doubt the final episodes would show everyone in different clothing anyway.

Comment

because who would possibly dial in?

Comment

Just to clarify the Wray thing, just because your lesbian that doesn't mean you CAN'T have children

Comment

plus.. there's nothing tall there, the kawoosh usually shows up several feet off the floor

Comment

Originally posted by General Jumper One View Post
                        because who would possibly dial in?
                        The people on the planet who were gathering more supplies.

Originally posted by themeatcleaver View Post
                        plus.. there's nothing tall there, the kawoosh usually shows up several feet off the floor
                        That is a good point, we've seen people duck under a kawoosh before, plus if the kawoosh was the size of a the entire gate, then the ramp at the SGC plus a large chunk of the Destiny and Atlantis floors would be disintergrated.

Comment

The joy of science fiction, is that it has both science and fiction. Some fans want more science and some fans want more fiction. Whether or not this and other plotholes in this or any Scifi show bother you just tells you which side you are leaning towards.
                          Posting at.............
                          http://godus.boards.net/

Comment

Originally posted by D Toccs View Post
                            The people on the planet who were gathering more supplies.
                            But what part of the episode is this? It could be after the gate got destroyed

Comment

And another, just because you choose to be a lesbian/homosexual, doesn't mean that you can't develop feelings/interest in the opposite sex again.

Comment

Originally posted by General Jumper One View Post
                                But what part of the episode is this? It could be after the gate got destroyed
                                It's before the gate was destroyed. It's the scene when the settlers are talking to Wray and first ask her to take them home.
                                At this time, there is still a team on the planet gathering supplies with the locals.

Comment

Working...
                                X