Why didn't they just...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gate hopping works.

as to the limited range of Destiny, i believe it has to do with the limitation of the gates themselves. gates need two-way contact to establish and maintain a wormhole. when two gates connect, they constantly communicate. Destiny's gate can, but the dialled gate can not communicate that far. MW gates CAN.

as to the Novus thing:

obviously Novus isn't in range, Eli wasn't even sure if they could reach Destiny with their morse while novus was, and i quote "on our path"

Comment

If they can stay at the city for a while, then supplies will never be an issue again. A quick trip to the Ace Hardware or Lowes and they've got a lifetime supply of quicklime. Better yet, get some piping and build a proper MEA scrubber. I'm thinking that Destiny leave for a while and allow a foraging team to assemble some goodies. Let destiny get a good distance away and dial a gate just prior to jumping back to the planet. Keep the drones busy in the other direction and pick up the goodies. If they have 3 or 4 engineers on the foraging team they'd assemble a sweet care package to keep destiny going. Let's not forget the guns either, hit a military base and get some goodies for the armory.

Comment

that is a major drain of power

Comment

Novus was always in range. The issue was that, should Novus be inaccessible for whatever reason, they would have no way to care for the entire group.

Comment

There were tons of pods. JM said it would be a plot point coming up, so I can only imagine that they will be used (and thus work).

Power isn't an issue, people. Remember the whole "can dip into a star when you need to" thing? The only possible way it might become an issue, is when they travel between galaxies again. It was only a week to the planet. Keeping some people frozen for a week shouldn't have been a big issue.

And lastly, yes, I did expect someone like Rush to bring it up, as a way to get around the CO2 scrubber issue. vVery surprised it wasn't, and possibly the only weak part of the episode.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Evil 37 View Post
              They never said that. They said that they used the "gate network" to get there (I believe). Again, do you not remember the planet hopping?
              However, there were only two gates according to Destiny. With the information we were given - Two gates within range, one connectible; the other, not - we have to assume that the unavailable one is Novus. Unless there was a number of catastorphies on each planet the Novans visited, we were basicly left to assume that Novus was the other gate.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Evil 37 View Post
                You guys seem to forget that back in season one people were left behind on planets because Destiny's gate range is a lot shorter than the Milky Way and Pegasus. The only reason the ship can dial Earth is because the gate address has a ninth chevron; that is not so with the gates in the rest of the Destiny network. Given that Novus was a week away, it is almost impossible that the gate would still have been in range. Remember all the planet hopping in "Lost"?

So, the writer's didn't forget the shows history. You just can't remember that history. Stop picking holes that aren't there and just enjoy one of the best episodes of the entire series.
                So far as I know from the various series, Gates dialing distance is dependent on how much power you can channel into it. Structurally (the gate itself, not the computer dialing device attached to it), is there any difference between the gate on Destiny and those on the planets?

Comment

Id imagine it was a power issue in the end
                  I dunno what to put in here now..

Comment

Originally posted by Shylodog View Post
                    However, there were only two gates according to Destiny. With the information we were given - Two gates within range, one connectible; the other, not - we have to assume that the unavailable one is Novus. Unless there was a number of catastorphies on each planet the Novans visited, we were basicly left to assume that Novus was the other gate.
                    Ah, I forgot about the locked out gate. Yes, that must be Novus. I wish they had explained that.

Comment

that wasn't novus.

the signal Eli used to connect Destiny is what the gates use to communicate and thus their range. Eli wasn't even sure they would still be in range when they sent it.

thus, novus lies out of range. quite a bit.

if the gate issue is power, the Novians have the power to extend it.

if the gate issue is communication, they can boost the signal.

thus Novus, being advanced, would be able to straight out dial the colony

Comment

You are all forgetting that fact we can not use the gate without alerting the DRONES to our position

Comment

Originally posted by General Jumper One View Post
                          You are all forgetting that fact we can not use the gate without alerting the DRONES to our position
                          Irrelevant. We didn't know that until after they'd made the decision to leave them behind and just abandon them. Given the information we have there is no reason they couldn't travel to Novus and then use Destiny's gate to dial back. None at all. There are 2 solutions to this debate.

Either Novus was out of range and they just did a really poor job of explaining that. But this is clearly wrong because they intended to tryand use the Novus gate to contact the planet. No mention of gate hoping was made.

Or Novus was in range and they forgot Destiny had a gate.

Either way really poor writing on their part.

Comment

They might also end up needing to use those for themselves.
                            Posting at.............
                            http://godus.boards.net/

Comment

Originally posted by darkthunder84 View Post
                              Does Destiny have enough power reserves to sustain 300 people in stasis pods? Not to mention, does it even HAVE 300 stasis pods?
                              Along with would they even consent to being placed IN those pods??

Because they were on the clock and could only find that much.
                              Along with maybe they got all the lime the planet had in that area.

Perhaps... one wonders though if we showed the locals the addy for that other planet, and whether they would have recognized it.

Comment

Originally posted by BadOnion View Post
                                they very may well end up doing that
                                yep I am sure that having shown us the pods they would get used at some point
                                ----------------------------
                                You will never get to heaven with an Ak 47... But A Zu 30 is good for Low Flying Cherubim

Comment

Working...
                                X