Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by carmencatalina View Post
    {Good stuff}
    Thanks for the very informed answer. I'm a software engineer, not a biologist or statistician, so it was mostly idle speculation on my part.

Another thing. Do the close matches for kidney transplants play into the genetic diversity much, or is that something different. Wouldn't have an impact on the first generation, since Brody and both potential donors were male, but I'm curious.

Oh, and time to update your signature. Down to 3 new episodes left

Comment

Originally posted by Trinary View Post
      I believe in a single gene could mutated into different races if they spread into different geographical area in a planet or the variation how they live their life. The surrounding area most likely contribute how they evolve and adapt to the place they live in. It will resulting into a different skin color, shape of the eyes, their height and various other changes.

For example, a number of a fat human race are now increasing around the world based on what and how they eat such as similar food menu and frequency. They're basically a new human race that evolve drive by the food they had consumed. They used to be abnormal, but now it was seem common a new born overweight baby taken these new evolved gene.
      Most of the traits you've mentioned here (skin color, weight, shape of eyes, height) are most definitely NOT caused by a single gene. They are all examples of what we call "quantitative" or "complex" traits - that are due to the actions of multiple genes AND environmental components.

While you can definitely have mutations of single genes that affect these traits, the variation you see in our human population in these traits is NOT due to the action of a single gene.
      sigpic
      Goodbye and Good Travels, Destiny!

Comment

Originally posted by carmencatalina View Post
        {Good stuff}
        Thanks for the very informed answer. I'm a software engineer, not a biologist or statistician, so it was mostly idle speculation on my part.

Another thing. Do the close matches for kidney transplants play into the genetic diversity much, or is that something different. Wouldn't have an impact on the first generation, since Brody and both potential donors were male, but I'm curious.

Comment

Originally posted by Starsaber View Post
          Thanks! Updated (sadly).
          sigpic

Comment

I noticed there was 2 different height of human race in overall. Most of the south origins were shorter while the north origins were taller.

What make of it? Atmospherics pressure? Gravity? or Magnetic poles configurations?

Comment

Smaller tribes of people in other cultures have lasted fairly long with a small gene pool. Plus, most of the military personals have been selectively picked in a way that does eliminate certain genetic defects, so in terms of genetic problems, they may have little. If the south can survive for a greater part of 2 centuries, I'm not surprised the Destiny crew can survive longer.

Comment

Originally posted by Trinary View Post
                I noticed there was 2 different height of human race in overall. Most of the south origins were shorter while the north origins were taller.

What make of it? Atmospherics pressure? Gravity? or Magnetic poles configurations?
                I don't think this is correct, there are certainly groups of humans that are overall shorter or taller, but there isn't a clear longitudinal gradient. You can look at the Inuit, who certainly live far towards the north pole, and see a people that are not very tall.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by D Toccs View Post
                  Each one of those pairs would have to have at least 3 or 4 children. Each one of those children would have to be paired up with someone in an "arranged marriage" in order to keep maximum diversity and avoid the same families crossbreeding more then needed.

In short, the society for at least the first few generations would be centered around the gene pool.
                  You would be assigned a sexual partner (the only one you'd be allowed to have) and your duty would be to produce as many children with that partner as possible. Your children upon coming of age would then be assigned their own partners and so on.

Given human nature, such a structured society would be difficult to maintain.
                  Which to me, might not be too far off what might have happened.. Especially since most were US and therefore were raise with the history of the pilgrms, who in some parts did just that.

My problem is that 2000 years did not make an advanced society like that quite believable. Maybe they went back farther, like 20,000 years or something.

They were raised with the knowledge the crew had.. which is pretty important. The only 2 limiters would be what resources they had, and what was passed on.

If the first wave of women pump out 10 kids per with several men it wouldn't be an issue. Star Trek did a show on this very topic. Ironically enough on the startrek episode, an extended liberty would have injected (quite literally) a whole lot of Enterprise genetic material into the cloner gene pool.
                  There was also a film on the Scifi channel, iirc where a virus (man made) was released by baddies trying to steal it, and the only way to stay safe against it was be in the polar cap. So the US antartic site was good.. Each woman there had to do a 'lottery' for the men to see whom would be their birther for that 'season'...

May be they did. We do not know how long they spent on the planet before they cut off.

An it might be that they cannibalise there most advance pieces of technology to keep the power generators and radio communication equipment going.
                  Plus maybe they didn't have the natural resources to do some of that..

Comment

Another problem, is that the group that split away to become the Futurans did so in The original Destiny crew's lifetimes. I can't imagine after such a schism that there would be much interbreeding between the two rival groups.

So while there is a chance that the original group could form a stable population. That original group was split in half very early on, effectively halving the gene pool for both factions.

I just can't see how it could work given that situation.

Comment

Well, if i have 2 kids a year, every 3 yrs, i can have a lot of kids in 40 years..

Comment

Originally posted by D Toccs View Post
                        Another problem, is that the group that split away to become the Futurans did so in The original Destiny crew's lifetimes. I can't imagine after such a schism that there would be much interbreeding between the two rival groups.

So while there is a chance that the original group could form a stable population. That original group was split in half very early on, effectively halving the gene pool for both factions.

I just can't see how it could work given that situation.
                        From Young's apparent age it was 30 or 40 years. Long enough to have two more generations of people.

Comment

Originally posted by BadOnion View Post
                          From Young's apparent age it was 30 or 40 years. Long enough to have two more generations of people.
                          It would still reduce the gene pool of each side down to smaller then the original crew.

Comment

i believe the Futurans only really founded a nation much, much later.

it isn't really clear and that kino footage doesn't actually show them leaving, just considering leaving

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                              i believe the Futurans only really founded a nation much, much later.
                              We know that Brody named Futura so the original crew must have still been alive.

Comment

We still do not know how bad relations were between the two groups. I guesting this will be explored sooner or latter or may be that was a season 3 episode.
                                For all we know they may have spent centuries being friendly to each other, yes a rivalry in interpretation of history but still friendly.
                                An still trading and interbreeding for generations together.

I guest we will fine out more next episode.

Comment

Working...
                                X