Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has Young permanently damaged his relationship w/Scott by his actions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think the reason Young acted as he did was because he was upset at the idea of losing Scott and he took that out on him (like a parent(!) who shouts at their child who has just been lost in a store or whatever - relief at finding them safe). At least that explains the way he informed them of his decision to quarantine them. That decision was a command one and will only become a poor one if it turns out to be unnecessary.

As to the morality of Chloe (and TJ) infecting Scott against his will, I say it was the right decision, given the choices at the time.
    "The laws of favours are amongst the most fundamental in the multiverse. The first law is: nobody asks for just one favour; the second request (after the granting of the first favour), prefaced by ‘and can I be really cheeky…?’ is the asking of the second favour. If the aforesaid second request is not granted, the second law ensures that the need for any gratitude for the first favour is nullified, and in accordance with the third law the favour giver has not done any favours at all, and the favour field collapses." - Terry Pratchett.

Comment

He's the CO. He's got to be formal about crap like this when there are lives at stake. Would you prefer him to be all lovey dovey, hug him and say "sorry mate, but your infected now with alien voodoo blood and now I gotta put you in a cell forever."

Beside's he's also drunk so what you expect?

Comment

I think they will be fine.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Blackhole View Post
          Of course it is the point. What other possible point could there be? Young now has an alive Scott that may or may not be compromised. We don't know what was done to Chloe and if the change can be passed on to anyone else.

You can't assume automatically that what she has is communicable. It is possible what conferred immunity were antibody like cells that once present in Scott's blood conferred temporary immunity. Once these cells die Scott would loose his immunity. If the changes to Chloe are on a genetic level and not caused by a still present virus then it may not be transferable. The fact that Chloe and Scott have been exchanging bodily fluids for some time tend to suggest that the cause of her changes is not communicable.

Besides, if the aliens had intended that she pass on what is happening to her why didn't they engineer a highly contagious virus and everyone on Destiny would already have it. It is possible that she was altered on a genetic level and the change is not communicable; it may not be intentional on their part; possibly an unexpected side effect.

I would think Destiny would have microscope like equipment present somewhere on the ship. The scientists need to find them to make a proper determination. Remember the ship was designed for colonists, these types of equipment would be essential to have on board.
          If you're someone in charge, you can and must assume that Chloe's infection can be spread, especially through a blood transfusion, for it would be negligent not to do so. They can check them both out later. For now, assuming the worst is the most prudent action.

Comment

Originally posted by morbosfist View Post
            If you're someone in charge, you can and must assume that Chloe's infection can be spread, especially through a blood transfusion, for it would be negligent not to do so. They can check them both out later. For now, assuming the worst is the most prudent action.
            Of course it is prudent to monitor them.

A person's DNA (genes) is present in every cell in their body and every bodily fluid has some cells in it. The question is what is effecting the change in Chloe's cells and is that causative agent present in her blood and bodily secretions and can it affect other people? If it is a virus or nanocytes designed to affect humans then Scott would probably be at risk. At this point all we know is Scott has been having intimate contact with Chloe for a long time and has shown no symptoms. This fact tends to suggest that it is not communicable via bodily fluids. Although it is not definitive as men can have unprotected sex with HIV positive women for sometime without caching it. We also know there are protective cells in Chloe's blood that were transferred via the transfusion. We don't know if the causative agent that produced these cells was transferred as well.

Another fact is if the aliens designed a communicable agent that requires blood to blood as the means of transference it is a very ineffective way to spread it among Destiny's crew. My point which you as usual ignored is if the aliens intended to disseminate an infective agent throughout the crew they wouldn't have designed it on the off chance that the infected person would have a blood transfusion with someone else. Vis a vis, that means imo that the risk to Scott is small and the need to quarantine him is low.

The only reason Young feels the need to do is because Rush lied when he told him that Chloe was responsible for the command changes to the ship that he has covertly been implementing. Of course Young feels the need to lock them up. I don't think what she has actually done so far necessitates their being locked up. Chloe and Scott need to be watched I don't think they need to be quarantined.

Comment

Going on about DNA and all that is utterly beside the point. This is a simple idea to comprehend: Chloe is under alien influence, she gave her blood to Scott, now Scott may be under the same influence. You do not assume he wasn't infected. You assume he was and rule it out, end of story. This is how quarantine procedures work in the real world. On Destiny, even accounting for their lack of ability to deal with it, the same procedures must be observed for the safety of the group.

Comment

Originally posted by bobsuncorp View Post
                I think the reason Young acted as he did was because he was upset at the idea of losing Scott and he took that out on him (like a parent(!) who shouts at their child who has just been lost in a store or whatever - relief at finding them safe). At least that explains the way he informed them of his decision to quarantine them. That decision was a command one and will only become a poor one if it turns out to be unnecessary.

As to the morality of Chloe (and TJ) infecting Scott against his will, I say it was the right decision, given the choices at the time.
                green for that!
                I can completely see that as fitting with his character
                sigpic

SGU-RELATED FANART | IN YOUNG WE TRUST | FANDUMB

Comment

Going on about DNA and all that is utterly beside the point. This is a simple idea to comprehend: Chloe is under alien influence, she gave her blood to Scott, now Scott may be under the same influence. You do not assume he wasn't infected. You assume he was and rule it out, end of story. This is how quarantine procedures work in the real world. On Destiny, even accounting for their lack of ability to deal with it, the same procedures must be observed for the safety of the group.
                  Perhaps I am not making myself clear. Given what Rush has told Young I agree that Young made the correct decision. I think the way he handled telling them was very poor.

Given what behaviors Chloe has actually exhibited I don't think quarantine is necessary just monitoring.

Comment

wtf are you talking about. Scott's a junior officer. Officers follow a chain of command, and follow orders. Scott will follow the order, no questions asked because he's military.

This is a military operation, NOT A BROMANCE!!!!!!
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Blackhole View Post
                      Perhaps I am not making myself clear. Given what Rush has told Young I agree that Young made the correct decision. I think the way he handled telling them was very poor.

Given what behaviors Chloe has actually exhibited I don't think quarantine is necessary just monitoring.
                      Until you can be sure, better to err on the side of caution.

Comment

Young made the right call and for once he did NOT seem unraveled!

1)He gave direct orders to come home instead, Chloe pulled an incredibly risky stunt and almost caused them to abandon Greer, Scott, and Chloe

2)He doesn't know how this will pan out and wants to be able to observe them

3)Chloe, once again due to her defiance, may have infected his friend and officer

Young is pissed at Chloe, and is made about that, it's clear by the way he says "Ms. Armstrong can explain that." Scott thinks Young is mad at him, and is confused/hurt. Young also knows that he has to put them in isolation to keep an eye on them and make sure Scott doesn't die from the transfusion or otherwise mutate. Good call, and good acting
                        Save Stargate Resistance and Stargate Worlds, keep a part of the franchise alive! and read our blog

Comment

Until you can be sure, better to err on the side of caution.
                          Until Young discovers that Rush cracked the command code and has been playing him that is what Young is going to do. If I was Young and was operating on what Rush had told me I would do the same thing.

Comment

Since Chloe was obviously not cured by the chair, I got the impression that Young put two-and-two together and realized that Chloe and likely Rush had lied to him. Which is why he was a bit gruff.

Comment

He has to think about the safety of the people aboard destiny, Scott's feelings toward him have nothing to do with it but that punch from the season two trailer might be on its way soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Smooth View Post
                                Since Chloe was obviously not cured by the chair, I got the impression that Young put two-and-two together and realized that Chloe and likely Rush had lied to him. Which is why he was a bit gruff.
                                You may be right.

Comment

Working...
                                X