I think the drones were made by...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Shylodog View Post
    Because we weren't, nor will we be, told any different. There was a timeline where Sam never joined the military. Daniel was never asked to decipher a cartouche. Teal'c was not enlisted by Jack to rise against Apophis. Yet they still managed through completely different sets of circumstances to fly a puddle jumper back in time to urge the uprising against Ra. There is absolutely no evidence that the alternate timeline encountered the drones, but it's possible that during their travels they discovered along the same timeframe that they could dial from inside the sun and thus creating the alternate timeline. And they never did adequately explain how Destiny was able to travel in time.

If everything happened the same as before, then the Alt Destiny should have encountered an Alt, Alt Destiny. It's enough to make one's head hurt.
    Why exactely you referenced a timeline that we know worked out, i havent the slightest. But from what you wrote you are comparing an alternate REALITY to something that happend in out TIMELINE.

Until we are shown otherwise the timelines were exactely the SAME. There is NO evidence to say that they were any different until they went back in time, there is however evidence that it was the same:

1. The circumstances leading up to the time travel were the same.
    2. Destiny was damaged enough that the ship couldn't handle dialing Earth

By your logic I can say that there is no evidence that rain is made of Goat magic yet there is evidence it is water, but i simply refuse to believe that.

Comment

I get that. We're supposed to accept that. My question is then, what was so different about Alt Destiny's timeline that they didn't encounter another Alt Destiny falling into the sun? What could have been so wildly different, since we're expected to assume that everything that led up to that point was supposed to be the same?

That's why I say it's entirely possible that Alt Destiny never encountered the drones. But again, we'll never know for sure now will we?
      Flawed logic. There was no event which led Alt Destiny to meet its past self. That had not happened yet. Alt Destiny initiated it. You're stuck on the idea that the alt crew must have existed before, but it didn't. Just like time, there was no Kino on the planet the first time. They all acted normally. The act of the Kino going back changed time.

Comment

Originally posted by escyos View Post
        Why exactely you referenced a timeline that we know worked out, i havent the slightest. But from what you wrote you are comparing an alternate REALITY to something that happend in out TIMELINE.

Until we are shown otherwise the timelines were exactely the SAME. There is NO evidence to say that they were any different until they went back in time, there is however evidence that it was the same:

1. The circumstances leading up to the time travel were the same.
        2. Destiny was damaged enough that the ship couldn't handle dialing Earth

By your logic I can say that there is no evidence that rain is made of Goat magic yet there is evidence it is water, but i simply refuse to believe that.
        You say I referenced an alternate reality, but I actually referenced an alternate timeline (since folks 'round these parts insist there is a difference). SG(not)1 did not change an alternate reality, they went back in time and fixed what SG1 prime broke, allowing SG1 to pick up after the video tape apparently no worse for wear except there is fish in Jack's pond now.

I referenced it to show that in timelines, the course of events don't have to be the identically the same for an event to happen (in this case Jack, Sam and Teal,c go back in time to save the day). Just like the drones didn't HAVE to exist for Destiny to be at that star at that time when they chose to try to dial home. Nor do we have any explicit evidence to prove that the drones existed for them. In this episode, OUR crew stumbles upon the Destiny that is falling into the sun. Frankly, we have no knowledge whatsoever of their history except the moments that led up to them dialing Earth, and drones were never mentioned.

Originally posted by morbosfist View Post
        Flawed logic. There was no event which led Alt Destiny to meet its past self. That had not happened yet. Alt Destiny initiated it. You're stuck on the idea that the alt crew must have existed before, but it didn't. Just like time, there was no Kino on the planet the first time. They all acted normally. The act of the Kino going back changed time.
        This is the fun of time travel episodes. You never know how things can change up the story. You made my point for me, actually. There was no event which led Alt Destiny to meet itself. Which could translate that the drones did not exist until the paradox had been created in the first place. But we'll never truly know because the story teller won't be able to tell us.

Comment

You say I referenced an alternate reality, but I actually referenced an alternate timeline (since folks 'round these parts insist there is a difference). SG(not)1 did not change an alternate reality, they went back in time and fixed what SG1 prime broke, allowing SG1 to pick up after the video tape apparently no worse for wear except there is fish in Jack's pond now.
          you said:
          There was a timeline where Sam never joined the military. Daniel was never asked to decipher a cartouche. Teal'c was not enlisted by Jack to rise against Apophis. Yet they still managed through completely different sets of circumstances to fly a puddle jumper back in time to urge the uprising against Ra.
          The part in bold is an alternate reality, the other is an alternate timeline, yet you matched them.

I referenced it to show that in timelines, the course of events don't have to be the identically the same for an event to happen (in this case Jack, Sam and Teal,c go back in time to save the day). Just like the drones didn't HAVE to exist for Destiny to be at that star at that time when they chose to try to dial home. Nor do we have any explicit evidence to prove that the drones existed for them. In this episode, OUR crew stumbles upon the Destiny that is falling into the sun. Frankly, we have no knowledge whatsoever of their history except the moments that led up to them dialing Earth, and drones were never mentioned.
          So basically you refuse to listen to reason, fair enough.

ALSO (rebut this!) HOW COME THE NOVANS DIDNT KNOW ABOUT THE DRONES!? At least two different colonies did not know and the most advanced (Novus) showed NO sign of damage to technology.

Comment

My best guess is the drone will be made by the original Rush. Before the original Destiny blown out in that star, He managed to download his consciousness and some destiny database into repair bot and dial up the gate before destiny completely exploded.

Rush (repair bot) arrived a 1000 years in the past in a planet near the Ursini's home world. Then he built himself an automated machine cities and started a war with nearby civilization as he sees them as an obstacles in achieving his master plan. He end up making a fleet of command ship and drones to destroy all civilizations and becoming evil bot Rush that feared by many as been told in the Novusians prophecy for a thousand years.

Comment

Again with this!?

Novus did not exists until WE tried to go back to Earth and the drones existed before that. Your idea is a paradox.
              They went back in time 2000 years! Meaning that Novus was there when the Stargate was uncovered in 1928! Meaning that Novus was there when Ra took human form!
              "I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational in order to prove that you care... or why it should be necessary to prove it at all."

Comment

Oh, and I think that Kinsey invented the drones.
                "I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational in order to prove that you care... or why it should be necessary to prove it at all."

Comment

Originally posted by rushy View Post
                  They went back in time 2000 years! Meaning that Novus was there when the Stargate was uncovered in 1928! Meaning that Novus was there when Ra took human form!
                  Umm you are aware that they didn't go to Earth, right?

Comment

It wouldn't be a paradox for the Novans to have created the drones, but there is another reason why we know they never - the drones have hyperdrives, the Novans did not.
                    Last edited by KEK; 07 May 2011, 07:01 AM.

Comment

The Novans didn't, but one of the other colonies might have been far more advanced.
                      sigpic
                      More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

Originally posted by rushy View Post
                        If you're gonna go there, I'll toss in that Baal had been going back in time again and again and again to god knows where just to plant those subspace satellites that broadcasts solar flare telemetry.

Paradox indeed. It's not the paradox that gives me a headache. It's the concept of 'undoing' the timeline that drives me bonkers. Because in one dimension or another, the timeline had to have carried through. So there's really no 'undoing' the timeline per-se... just another branch in dimension created.

Comment

Originally posted by nx01a View Post
                          The Novans didn't, but one of the other colonies might have been far more advanced.
                          Yeah, that seems a bit too far advanced to me. If you have that kind of capability compared to your neighbors then you do control the area.

The only way I could see any Novans having anything to do with seeder ships is this: a group arrived on a planet and discovered an active gate to a semi-derelict seeder ship. It's gate was previously out of range of Destiny's gate when the crew first came through that area.

They gated to that ship and over time retro-fitted it to be the first drone mother ship. It then started to produce drones and additional mother ships rather than stargates.

Personally, I ain't buying it.

regards,
                          G.
                          Go for Marty...

Comment

Umm you are aware that they didn't go to Earth, right?
                            Yeah...

Comment

The part in bold is an alternate reality, the other is an alternate timeline, yet you matched them.

So basically you refuse to listen to reason, fair enough.

ALSO (rebut this!) HOW COME THE NOVANS DIDNT KNOW ABOUT THE DRONES!? At least two different colonies did not know and the most advanced (Novus) showed NO sign of damage to technology.
                              Do you not remember geeky Sam Carter who thought her comment about reproductive organs being on the inside is a bad comment? The one with glasses and a dorky look getting it on with Jack in the puddle jumper in ancient Egypt? That is an alternate timeline, not reality.

I don't refuse to listen to reason, you refuse to broaden your imagination. I never said they never ran into the drones, I simply provided a possible alternative (which I think some others may agree could have happened, given all the comments about how the Novans could have created the drones) and shown how we were never told otherwise. You state we HAVE to assume something, and I say we should never assume anything. Seeing as we aren't writing the story and all.

You asked me to rebut it, so here goes... The two characters who made comments about the drones were born on the Colony World. Well after losing communications with Novus. Maybe Novus was never the target, nor the Tanerans. Maybe the drones were developed on a world colonized by the Tanerans centuries ago that lost contact with Novus specifically to defend against the evil demon Rush and his Chariot to Hell Destiny, and something went wrong. I don't really buy into that scenario, but it's possible that the writers could have gone in that direction. Who knows? Anything could have happened.

Comment

Except that Alt. Destiny dialed earth, not because they were under attack, but because they had a working theory and could. Up until the point that the theory didn't work (except for Telford).

Bear in mind that these other worlds might have traits (or creatures) that could have enhanced the human genus. Double the life span or whatnot, which gives a bit more opportunity for development. And since Brody founded futura, and didn't seem to get hitched and have kids in the Alt. Timeline, increased lifespan might have been a field of interest for his colony. You can do a lot when you live longer than 50 to 70 years and remain productive all those years.

With a little DNA and cloning tech, you could create thousands of Eli's so he could spend his days doing research and not playing school marm. Lots of potential for many different scenarios that'll never be realized in a format other than print, if ever.

Comment

Working...
                                X