No announcement yet.

Why is Destiny "filling the tank"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know plenty of people like that.. Won't wait till they are below a 1/4 a tank..

Comment

Originally posted by Shylodog View Post
      That's not what I got from Volker's statement. I understood it to be that his grandfather was always filling it up even when it was half full and he found that funny, whereas Rush made it clear that Volker's grandfather was ensuring the safety of his family by making sure the tank was always full so they would always be able to make it to the next gas station down the road.
      Volker was saying that his grandfather only ever filled the tank to the half way point and in reply, Rush said that filling the tank only half full was putting the family's safety at risk by always worrying about if they will make it to the next gas station. How that relates to the destiny is that Rush doesn't like that destiny can only fill power reserves to only 40% of the original designed capacity, meaning that they have to refuel often and have to worry about finding the right stars to refuel in.
      In memory of those whom we have lost along the way
      sigpic

Comment

I doubt refuelling in in the O type star recharged Destiny more than usual.

Would a car battery be more recharged than usual if it was charged to 100% straight from a nuclear reactor or just hooked u to a battery recharger?

N.C

Comment

Originally posted by superman_dh View Post
          Volker was saying that his grandfather only ever filled the tank to the half way point and in reply, Rush said that filling the tank only half full was putting the family's safety at risk by always worrying about if they will make it to the next gas station. How that relates to the destiny is that Rush doesn't like that destiny can only fill power reserves to only 40% of the original designed capacity, meaning that they have to refuel often and have to worry about finding the right stars to refuel in.
          No. Absolutely incorrect. Volker said that his grandfather always filled the tank when it got to 50%. You may want to watch the episode again.

Rush was upset with Volker's inability to appreciate that his grandfather was looking out for the safety of his family, much like what Destiny is doing.

Comment

Rush was upset with Volker's inability to appreciate that his grandfather was looking out for the safety of his family, much like what Destiny is doing.
            No, Rush didn't find a comparison between an old man's habit regarding a mundane activity and the vital need for power of their current locale funny. Your car running out of gas is hardly a matter of life or death. Destiny running out of power is.

Comment

Originally posted by morbosfist View Post
              Your car running out of gas is hardly a matter of life or death. Destiny running out of power is.
              In Volker's grandfather's time it certainly could have been. Especially if it was a cross country trip in a vehicle that likely got 5 to 10 miles per gallon in a time when gas stations weren't usually found on every street corner. Highway 50 in the US is STILL a very dangerous strip of road to travel if you don't stop for gas at every gas station along the way.

Comment

If Volker can remember him doing it, then it couldn't have been more than 10 or 20 years ago. Ergo, not dangerous. You're missing the point of Rush's annoyance.

Comment

If Volker can remember him doing it, then it couldn't have been more than 10 or 20 years ago. Ergo, not dangerous. You're missing the point of Rush's annoyance.
                  I gauge Volker's age to be close to mine in the mid to late 30s. 30 or more years ago isn't impossible. And as I have stated previously it's STILL dangerous today. I know, because I've driven across the US more times than a person can count on their hands.

I've completely grasped Rush's annoyance. He is annoyed at Volker not only because he's making light of their current situation, but his grandfather's as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Nth Chevron View Post

Would a car battery be more recharged than usual if it was charged to 100% straight from a nuclear reactor or just hooked u to a battery recharger?

N.C
                    It would charger better at 16v than at 14v.

Comment

Originally posted by Nth Chevron View Post

N.C
                      Originally posted by morrismike View Post
                      It would charger better at 16v than at 14v.
                      The higher the voltage, the bigger the chance the battery is damaged or destroyed in the process. If you would hook up a battery directly to a nuclear reactor, the high voltage would practically melt it.
                      But to be fair, we have no idea how Destiny stores the energy it collects from the stars. A chemical battery would be insufficient by a large margin, at least, with our current knowledge.
                      sigpic

"Were you expecting Stairway to Heaven?!"

Comment

I would not be surprised if Destiny was indeed at 100 percent.
                        Maybe the extra heat from that blue Supergiant actually cleaned the collecters.
                        Maybe there was nothing wrong with the storage tanks themselves but the collecters which were not operating at full capacity. With no one to provide Maintanence over those millions of years it is expected for things not to operate at 100%.
                        It is possible that the extrat heat did it for them.

It is also possible that the blue supergiant had more volume of gas to collect from in such as short time. I say this because if I was the engineer I would only allow an unmaned vessel to go into a sun for only a fraction of the time it was actually capable of to limit possible damage.

But that's just me.

Comment

I gauge Volker's age to be close to mine in the mid to late 30s. 30 or more years ago isn't impossible. And as I have stated previously it's STILL dangerous today. I know, because I've driven across the US more times than a person can count on their hands.

I've completely grasped Rush's annoyance. He is annoyed at Volker not only because he's making light of their current situation, but his grandfather's as well.
                          So it's dangerous to run out of gas near a stoplight or driving down some random street in a neighborhood? Running out of gas is only dangerous in a select few circumstances, which is why it's a poor comparison to a spaceship losing power.

Comment

So it's dangerous to run out of gas near a stoplight or driving down some random street in a neighborhood? Running out of gas is only dangerous in a select few circumstances, which is why it's a poor comparison to a spaceship losing power.
                            Except the assumption (at least on my part) is that Rush was taking Volker's analogy in the context of Destiny's situation. Driving across a continent would be consistent with Destiny flying across galaxies.

Comment

Originally posted by morsu View Post
                              I would not be surprised if Destiny was indeed at 100 percent.
                              Maybe the extra heat from that blue Supergiant actually cleaned the collecters.
                              Maybe there was nothing wrong with the storage tanks themselves but the collecters which were not operating at full capacity. With no one to provide Maintanence over those millions of years it is expected for things not to operate at 100%.
                              It is possible that the extrat heat did it for them.

But that's just me.
                              Here's my issue with folks take on Destiny being anywhere near full capacity. They are consistently referring to power reserves. A reserve is, by definition, a back-up supply. I'm not even sure that Destiny's regular power supply is working, let alone charging.

Comment

Except the assumption (at least on my part) is that Rush was taking Volker's analogy in the context of Destiny's situation. Driving across a continent would be consistent with Destiny flying across galaxies.
                                That makes no sense. Volker's analogy refers to his grandfather just doing it for no reason. Rush's very apparent sarcasm is calling attention to the fact that the two are nothing alike.

Comment

Working...
                                X