Why no visors on the suits?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eonflux View Post
    It was the light that blinded her. Not EM or other radiation. If that was the case she would have been cooked alive. Ever sat in a car sitting in the sun?
    Um, light is electromagnetic radiation.
    sigpic

"Were you expecting Stairway to Heaven?!"

Comment

Originally posted by eonflux View Post
      It was the light that blinded her. Not EM or other radiation. If that was the case she would have been cooked alive. Ever sat in a car sitting in the sun?
      Exposure to very intense UV, or infrared can cause damage to the retina, even blindness. It does not have to be the visible spectrum.

The car analogy doesn't really apply to a space suit. A car has many windows which allow the visible and infrared rays through to the inside, which heat up the inside surfaces in addition to heating up the outside surface. Also a car is not thermally insulated like a space suit. I would guess the EV suits on Destiny are insulated well, preventing the transmission of heat to the inside or heat loss to the outside by convection/conduction

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
        You would think suits designed for working in space, would have some sort of "Visor" or Shaded glass in the eye piece area for when working in space/around bright lights.. Would that have helped out Parks?
        Did you see how close they were to that star? It's a miracle she survived at all!

spoiler'd for size:
        Originally posted by Pharaoh Atem View Post
        Spoiler:

The sga model has a visor so maybe the crew hasn't figured out how to turn it on
        While, yes, the SGA and SGU suits are the same props, in terms of canon they are not the same suit.

Example, the aliens who tried to trade weapons-grade naquadah for the Prometheus that Vala stole in SG-1 used the same weapon props as the race whose weapons were similar to Ronan Dex's gun in SGA. However, they were not the same weapons.

Make sense?

EDIT

A better example is Mike Dopud himself. He's played so many different characters, but they're not all the same people. That's what I'm trying to say with the suits.
        Last edited by Greenfire32; 04 May 2011, 05:24 PM. Reason: better example
        sigpic
        ____I reserve the right to be completely wrong about any topic I post on.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenfire32 View Post
          While, yes, the SGA and SGU suits are the same props, in terms of canon they are not the same suit.
          or they could be the same suit, the ancients were already really advanced. maybe they perfected the suit as much as possible and kept using a similar design all the way up to atlantis.

Comment

Originally posted by erotavlas View Post
            or they could be the same suit, the ancients were already really advanced. maybe they perfected the suit as much as possible and kept using a similar design all the way up to atlantis.
            If that were the case, we would have found evidence of that. In SGA, the suits were of Asgard design. In SGU, there are of Ancient design.

In any case, they aren't the same suit. Merely the same prop and I've already explained that above.
            sigpic
            ____I reserve the right to be completely wrong about any topic I post on.

Comment

Evidence of what? Where? What prop?

Comment

Evidence of what? Where? What prop?
                The suits in the show are reused props. They first appear as the Asgard battlesuits in "The Lost Tribe".

Comment

The suits are different, specifically the head piece. In SGA the head piece was designed so that we couldn't see the person behind it, while in SGU it's designed so that you can see the person behind it. This was also done in BSG in order for the audience to see who is in the suit. Logically, there's no real need for there to be a backlight in the helmet in order to visualize the face of who is in it.

So I propose this mechanism. The suit has a visor, and it was activated. It's just, you can still see through it because it was backlit, so that others can see who is inside. It's just so happens that the suit was not designed to work inside a giant blue star.

Comment

Originally posted by wingsabre View Post
                    Logically, there's no real need for there to be a backlight in the helmet in order to visualize the face of who is in it.
                    Why not? In space there may be times when you are in complete darkness, and with multiple people wearing suits there's no other way to distinguish between the people inside.

Comment

Exposure to very intense UV, or infrared can cause damage to the retina, even blindness. It does not have to be the visible spectrum.

The car analogy doesn't really apply to a space suit. A car has many windows which allow the visible and infrared rays through to the inside, which heat up the inside surfaces in addition to heating up the outside surface. Also a car is not thermally insulated like a space suit. I would guess the EV suits on Destiny are insulated well, preventing the transmission of heat to the inside or heat loss to the outside by convection/conduction
                      And that is exactly what I mean. The helmet has a window. If what you are saying is true her whole face would have been cooked. That did not happened (at least for the time-being we dont know). From this I concluded that whatever the window is made off filters out the harmful radiation except the light.

Im no expert on this but. Shades block out UV. But still when you look directly into the sun it still hurts.
                      Last edited by eonflux; 05 May 2011, 10:30 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

Originally posted by Rylor View Post
                        Um, light is electromagnetic radiation.
                        I thought it was the "Flash up of the fire" that was the blinding factor for her..

Comment

The suits have no visors, but they can prevent a person from being cooked when being close to the surface of a star? You'd think a suit that advanced would have some sort of visor, or a way of protecting the face as well as the rest of the body in conditions like this.
                          Jedi_Master_Bra'tac, previously known as wako!

Comment

You would think suits designed for working in space, would have some sort of "Visor" or Shaded glass in the eye piece area for when working in space/around bright lights.. Would that have helped out Parks?
                            Maybe the suits were prototypes or 1.0 versions, which is how Eli described the Destiny stargate in one episode, if the ancients had made it to destiny then maybe improvements would have been made to the suits.

Comment

Ohh.. didn't think of them also being prototypes.

Comment

Simply put, the costume designers probably aren't aware of space suits having visors. As for whether it would help, nope. As others have said, when that close to a star... her vision was simply toast. Even if she had a visor and closed her eyes, if her face was facing the star, she'd still have been blinded. To add some realism, her face should have been burnt as well.

Comment

Working...
                                X