No announcement yet.

Save Geeky Character ? ( Aftermath )

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

meh if you're going to kill off a character - fine I have no problem with the concept as such, like I said above I think a show should have the balls to make such moves.

I loved carson beckett as a character a lot, he had me cracked up with laughter with his comic relief one liners like "omg me tuuuuhhtles", but if they want to kill him off the least the could do was to manage it properly for maximum positive effect instead of doing something so unexpected (in a bad way) and absurd it felt like a suckerpunch in the face to the entire fandom... that was the worst mistake they could possibly make after the already questionable decision on writing out Ford the way they did
    I'm an average viewer. As plain as they come. People make TV shows based on my demographic.

Million's of ZPM's, ZPM's for free! Millions of ZPM's, ZPM's for me!

Comment

Riley will be coming back, but only as another addition to Rush's hallucination stable

Comment

As much as I liked Riley, he died and he should stay dead. It brings a sense of reality to the show, that wouldn't exist if he suddenly came back. Besides it hasn't been shown that the aliens from the Faith planet can bring people back to life. We don't know if TJ's baby was saved right before, or after she "died".
        sigpic

Find your Destiny

Comment

Spoiler:
          keep him dead but have him come back to haunt young from time to time.
          https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Or maybe Rush will start seeing him too. Rush did admit and say "All this was his fault" at the end of the show. If Gloria is the conscience part, Franklin is the technical part, maybe Riley can be guilt

Comment

Originally posted by sg1fan View Post
              I Where is the love for poor Riley?
              if you bring him back the awesome scene between him and young would be lost and it would be a damn shame.
              https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Originally posted by Pharaoh Atem View Post
                Spoiler:
                keep him dead but have him come back to haunt young from time to time.
                I know when i was deployed to iraq, some of the spec forces we repaired comm gear for said they were 'haunted' in their dreams by the faces of their fallen comrades. So who knows. Maybe one reason Young is the way he is, is cause HE is also haunted...

Comment

Originally posted by Wayston View Post
                  I loved carson beckett as a character a lot, he had me cracked up with laughter with his comic relief one liners like "omg me tuuuuhhtles", but if they want to kill him off the least the could do was to manage it properly for maximum positive effect instead of doing something so unexpected (in a bad way) and absurd it felt like a suckerpunch in the face to the entire fandom... that was the worst mistake they could possibly make after the already questionable decision on writing out Ford the way they did
                  And bringing Beckett back as a clone wouldn't have seemed a bit lame if SGA had included real character drama. Imagine what it would be like to have all your original's memories and feelings but not being able to visit your family and friends back home because they know your original is dead. This aspect was touched on very briefly and then the Beckett clone had got over it by the time we saw him again - yes, it was two months later SGA time but he'd spent those two months in a stasis pod so he hadn't had a chance to come to terms with it.

I'm not suggesting that Riley should be brought back as a clone but having him reappear as a dream or hallucination could work if it was done properly.

Originally posted by Aurora2
                  We don't know if TJ's baby was saved right before, or after she "died".
                  The scene with Wray and TJ made it clear that the baby had died - if she'd mysteriously vanished into thin air Wray would have mentioned it. So how could the aliens have saved her? Did they create a clone body and transfer the baby's consciousness into it? Well, the Asgard transferred their consciousnesses into clone bodies so it's not like this kind of thing is impossible in the fictional Stargate universe. There's still the question of how TJ was walking around on the Faith planet, though. Did the aliens make a temporary clone body for her?
                  sigpic

Comment

No saving Riley! His death was one of the most heart wrenching I've seen on screen in a long time. To have the impact of his death destroyed by being brought back would go against the whole reason for killing him off in the first place. Pointless!

He will be remembered and his death will affect people on Destiny for a long time to come, it brings the reality of how fragile life is out there on that ship home in a big way. Bringing a dead character back would go against the show's intent to create a 'darker' theme.

Comment

Originally posted by ciannwn View Post
                      And bringing Beckett back as a clone wouldn't have seemed a bit lame if SGA had included real character drama. Imagine what it would be like to have all your original's memories and feelings but not being able to visit your family and friends back home because they know your original is dead. This aspect was touched on very briefly and then the Beckett clone had got over it by the time we saw him again - yes, it was two months later SGA time but he'd spent those two months in a stasis pod so he hadn't had a chance to come to terms with it.
                      This, in a BIG way.

Every device you can think of (Cloning, Alternate Universe, Hallucination) CAN work if it's done correctly. The point is, you have to figure out what actually creates drama and isn't just some wacky reunion. I remember cloned Crichton from Farscape being one of my favorite doubles because they worked well together, but they were stuck in this weird dynamic of hating, distrusting, and and on some level fearing what the other one was up to. And at the end, though they were bitter, one still mourns the other because he knows he has basically already died.

Then I think back to Beckett, and you're right. A character gets brought back and he's just kind of there. There were plenty of places it could have gone, but I think because he was brought back as kind of a "ok shut up now" gesture, the whole experience was very "meh".

And for me, although the device was clunky (exploding tumor), Beckett's death was very effective for me because it played up McKay's guilt and as an audience I felt actual loss. I wish the fans had left him in peace.

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                        No. I can't live through another Save Character X campaign
                        Personally I was kinda hoping he didn't get killed off. And were it not for at least 2 other save X character campaigns, I would have loved to see him say on the faith planet.

However I have to agree with the others. If they "save" him somehow, then that would cheapen his death and would make death episodes seem meaningless and almost "meh".
                        My Life Motto: There are no wrong roads in life just paths that lead to unexpected Adventures.
                        "Ago simplex sic alius may simplex ago" - Live simply, so other's may simply live - Ghandi

Comment

Originally posted by SG7 View Post
                          Personally I was kinda hoping he didn't get killed off. And were it not for at least 2 other save X character campaigns, I would have loved to see him say on the faith planet.
                          We have no idea what the faith planet really is, though. Maybe some of the planet building aliens had borrowed the forms of Caine and co and TJ's experience was their doing. If so, Riley could turn up in someone else's weird experience without it actually being Riley.
                          sigpic

Comment

I really liked the Riley, however, I do not want him brought back. As SG7 noted, if he was brought back in some form by this "faith planet" it would really cheapen his death. If he is brought back in this manner, would that mean that each and every character who is killed off is going to be "brought back"? Let it alone.

The faith planet should not be used as a character dump by the writers and producers. If they choose to kill a character off, they should live with the consequences.

regards,
                            G.
                            Go for Marty...

Comment

Can somebody please provide the full explanation for TJ's experience? Were those people we saw on the faith world really Caine and co? Was TJ on the real faith planet or did she just have a vision? What is the explanation for the nebula?
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ciannwn View Post
                                Can somebody please provide the full explanation for TJ's experience? Were those people we saw on the faith world really Caine and co? Was TJ on the real faith planet or did she just have a vision? What is the explanation for the nebula?
                                There isn't one. That's the point. You're not supposed to be entirely sure that it actually happened.

Comment

Working...
                                X