No announcement yet.

Ethically charged events from "Aftermath"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think Rush got a little heady with power from the events in "Intervention" which of course was detrimental to everyone else-well Riley. And damaged the remaining shuttle. He went on about Young messing up with the LA yet went and messed up himself.

I didn't particularly care for the suffocation, I think I understand why, but shooting him would've been more humane.
    SGU fangirl

Comment

I think that he should have, and in fact I expected him to, let Riley to do it himself by giving him a loaded gun. That way, it's merely suicide instead of assisted suicide, at best. Suffication is a painful and relatively slow way to die, especially when Riley was already "in pain" due to the crush injury. A bullet to the head is quick and painless (you die before your brain can register the pain).

We know that ammunition is scarce, but this is a man's life and dignity we're talking about. It should have been worth one bullet.

Comment

You have to remember that Riley specifically turned downed the bullet because he didn't want to burden Young with yet another questionable decision. I doubt Riley would have shot himself even if Young had left the gun for him, and Young certainly wasn't going to shoot him against his wishes. That leaves the suffocation.

Comment

Not pointing fault as it is currently a non issue; due to its inaccessibility -- there is undoubtedly equipment which would have helped Reilly <sp?> on board Destiny.

Destiny was fitted for extended voyage and logically this accommodation would have been made for her crew; extensive trauma type equipment, advanced medical operating theaters, etc. Obviously not "Atlantis grade" but more advanced than anything the team would have at their immediate disposal (brought with them).

That coupled with they have zero idea where it is, in what state it would be in; or even how to use such advanced items; makes what Young HAD to do all the more painful for him.

I am eager to know of the Destiny's mission; but wish Rush could put some effort into finding the equipment stores that would make their ordeal a tad more bearable. Ship manifests etc.
          Last edited by Hohenzollern; 06 October 2010, 10:47 AM. Reason: word transposition
          "Let's make it TEN. Ten's a nice...round...number..." -- Morty

Comment

Originally posted by morbosfist View Post
            You have to remember that Riley specifically turned downed the bullet because he didn't want to burden Young with yet another questionable decision. I doubt Riley would have shot himself even if Young had left the gun for him, and Young certainly wasn't going to shoot him against his wishes. That leaves the suffocation.
            Uh... when did he turn down the bullet? When was he even offered one? He just said "Please, I'm in pain" and then Young suffocated him.

Also, a viable alternative was breaking his neck. Faster and more painless.

Comment

Originally posted by morbosfist View Post
              Another questionable decision?

Suffocation isn't as questionable as a bullet to the brainpan (squish) dead instantly?
              sigpic
              Thanks to Oma-1 for the beautiful banner!

Comment

Originally posted by FallenAngelII View Post
                Uh... when did he turn down the bullet? When was he even offered one? He just said "Please, I'm in pain" and then Young suffocated him.

Also, a viable alternative was breaking his neck. Faster and more painless.
                "I'd ask for your gun, but I don't want them to blame you"

"Sir, please. I'm in pain."
                That was Riley asking Young to end it, without using his gun. I agree with you that Young should have just used the gun anyway, and dealt with the consequences, but Riley did make it clear that he didn't want him to.

Comment

Originally posted by g.o.d View Post
                  I never thought I would ever see this thing on Stargate. Thumbs up!

If I were Riley, I would rather have told Young to shoot me in a head
                  Um you did watch SGA's "Rising" didn't you? Except Sheppard actually shot Sumner to kill him and end his suffering.
                  sigpic

Comment

That still leaves the option toe snap Riley's neck. Faster and more painless.

Comment

Originally posted by leiasky View Post

Suffocation isn't as questionable as a bullet to the brainpan (squish) dead instantly?
                      No one knows that Young put him out of his misery this way, with a bullet they would.

Comment

That still leaves the option toe snap Riley's neck. Faster and more painless.
                        Not really, TJ would have been able to tell just as easily as if he'd done it with a bullet.

Comment

Originally posted by KEK View Post
                          Not really, TJ would have been able to tell just as easily as if he'd done it with a bullet.
                          Yes, because I'm sure TJ would've come back and done a thorough check of his spinal cord after he expired. I'm pretty sure that Riley's death due to suffocation was in itself highly questionable seeing as how he wasn't having problems breathing up until then nor was he dying anything soon (his face not yet so white that he was close to death due to blood loss).

Comment

Yes, because I'm sure TJ would've come back and done a thorough check of his spinal cord after he expired. I'm pretty sure that Riley's death due to suffocation was in itself highly questionable seeing as how he wasn't having problems breathing up until then nor was he dying anything soon (his face not yet so white that he was close to death due to blood loss).
                            Are you serious? Do you realise the kind of trauma that type of neck break would cause? His neck would be black and blue. Suffocation leaves no trace, not without an autopsy anyway.

Comment

Exactly. Suffocation leaves Young with an easy out. He says Riley passed on, and no one is going to do more than a cursory check. Riley knew this, and that's how he wanted it.

Originally posted by leiasky View Post

It's only questionable if people know you did it, and they don't. This way, only Young has to deal with it.

Comment

Originally posted by KEK View Post
                                Are you serious? Do you realise the kind of trauma that type of neck break would cause? His neck would be black and blue. Suffocation leaves no trace, not without an autopsy anyway.
                                He was wearing a high-collared jacket. Also, they were running out of the time. The first thing TJ would do would not to pull back the collar to check for neck injuries.

Comment

Working...
                                X