Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

morsu,

1. Got them stranded there.
    I agree, no argument there, however there does appear to be some weak justification for Rush's actions.

2. Tried to frame Young.
    Absolutely no argument there. Rush was wrong. However, Rush's actions didn't justify Young's response.

3. Manipulated stupid Wray into staging a Mutiny.
    I think they went about it the wrong way but the action was not without justification. Young's leadership at that point was becoming increasingly erratic. Young was showing his prediliction for allowing his emotions to overstep his rationality.

4. Handed over A stone to the Smurfs.
    There is no evidence for this. All stones in the case they brought with them are accounted for. Accepting, for purposes of argument this is true, the smurfs wouldn't have had access if Young hadn't stranded Rush in the first place.

5. Got the Lucian alliance on board.
    With Young's collusion and approval for putting a man into the field without training to resist torture. Further, Young could have ended the situation by turning off the damn pedistal for the stones and gotten Rush back at any point after Telford was de-brainwashed.

6. Now he is witholding information about the Bridge and possibly Screwing up the Drives.
    Yup, Rush is screwing the pooch on this one. He's also possibly mentally unstable himself now.
    All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story...

"Scott isn't out. Actually, he'll probably soon get back in, then out, then in, then out, then in, with rhythm and stamina." reddevil 4/22/2010

Comment

Originally posted by Ser Scot A Ellison View Post
      Yup, Rush is screwing the pooch on this one. He's also possibly mentally unstable himself now.
      I disagree. The reason he stopped the ship was to give Scott and Co a chance at rescue, so we can drop the "damage the drives" bit as a negative against him. Hell, the normal logical thing for Rush to do would be to accept Scott and Co. as acceptable sacrifices and not risk damaging the ship. If he had done that, I think more people would have come down harshly on him.

As far as withholding information about the bridge, it's not entirely without justification. Young already let the LA take over once. If Rush knew about the bridge before, he would have had a place with which to take command of the ship away from the LA. Anyone he tells about the bridge, is a risk that for next time, if they get invaded. The next invaders would have control of the bridge. Rush doesn't think Young can be trusted with that information, and I'm hard-pressed to deny that. Young has shown some spectacular errors in judgment lately, letting emotion override reason.

However, having said that, I do think he should tell them. It might not be the most logical thing, but Rush should be open about it. He can't keep it a secret forever, and once people find out, it'll make them trust him less. It'll hurt more in the long run. But of course, that is the essence of why people make bad decisions; the short term effect is good.
      Last edited by Kaiphantom; 12 October 2010, 07:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaiphantom View Post
        I disagree. The reason he stopped the ship was to give Scott and Co a chance at rescue, so we can drop the "damage the drives" bit as a negative against him. Hell, the normal logical thing for Rush to do would be to accept Scott and Co. as acceptable sacrifices and not risk damaging the ship. If he had done that, I think more people would have come down harshly on him.

As far as withholding information about the bridge, it's not entirely without justification. Young already let the LA take over once. If Rush knew about the bridge before, he would have had a place with which to take command of the ship away from the LA. Anyone he tells about the bridge, is a risk that for next time, if they get invaded. The next invaders would have control of the bridge. Young doesn't think Young can be trusted with that information, and I'm hard-pressed to deny that. Young has shown some spectacular errors in judgment lately, letting emotion override reason.

However, having said that, I do think he should tell them. It might not be the most logical thing, but Rush should be open about it. He can't keep it a secret forever, and once people find out, it'll make them trust him less. It'll hurt more in the long run. But of course, that is the essence of why people make bad decisions; the short term effect is good.
        Young doesn't think Young and be trusted with that info...

Comment

Error not withstanding, i agree, that in Rush's mind (and mine) young is at the mo too unstable to be given the info on the bridge. Perhaps in a few eps when/if he calms himself down he will be told.

Comment

Originally posted by General Jumper One View Post
            Young doesn't think Young and be trusted with that info...
            Haha, minor error. Edited my post.

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
              Error not withstanding, i agree, that in Rush's mind (and mine) young is at the mo too unstable to be given the info on the bridge. Perhaps in a few eps when/if he calms himself down he will be told.
              And Rush IS stable?

One of the things which is working negatively on Young is the pressure he has of trying his damnest to get everyone home (including the "stable" Rush who stranded them on Destiny to begin with).

If the information was out that the bridge had been discovered, and access had been gained, that would take a lot of pressure off of everyone's minds, including Young's. The crew would start to feel that there was some hope of actually getting home, which would mean they would be a lot less crabby, which would mean that they would likely co-operate better with one another, which likely means they would be putting less pressure on Young to solve all of their problems... and he would be less inclined to try to shield everyone by putting so much pressure on himself, which means that RUSH IS EXACERBATING THE SITUATION FOR EVERYONE BY KEEPING HIS MOUTH SHUT.

Both Young and Rush like to "control" things. Young takes control to protect, but not just from physical harm (like from the LA) but also from emotional or psychological harm. He takes that pressure on to his own shoulders and carries it "for the good of the crew". Rush takes control of things because Rush has trust issues. He does not trust that others can do things as well as he (true for the most part, yet Rush could be more effective with the help of others as we have seen) and he does not trust that he will be able to follow his research into Destiny's workings and purpose. This is his primary reason for not telling anyone about the bridge. One's issues are related to the good of the group, the other is completely and absolutely selfish.

Once again the Evil Genius who screwed things up for everyone is continuing to screw it up, brilliantly. And he will likely follow his usual plan of operation which is to blame someone else when things go badly. Great actor. Great character. Would you really want to be stuck on that ship with him?

regards,
              G.
              Last edited by Gollumpus; 12 October 2010, 06:50 PM. Reason: typo
              Go for Marty...

Comment

Gollumpus,

If you think Rush is the "evil mad scientist" I really think you are missing the point of this show. No one is "Teh Eviel". Everyone is acting with their own motivations for what they believe are everyone's best interests. As such there are conflicts because not everyone agrees. This doesn't mean Bob wears a white hat and is a good guy while Jane wheres a black hat and is the bad guy. That's boring storytelling. I'm glad it's not what is going on here.
                All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story...

"Scott isn't out. Actually, he'll probably soon get back in, then out, then in, then out, then in, with rhythm and stamina." reddevil 4/22/2010

Comment

But i do agree with him that the info of the bridge getting out would at least put a lot of 'issues' on the back burner..

Comment

Originally posted by Ser Scot A Ellison View Post
                    Gollumpus,

If you think Rush is the "evil mad scientist" I really think you are missing the point of this show. No one is "Teh Eviel". Everyone is acting with their own motivations for what they believe are everyone's best interests. As such there are conflicts because not everyone agrees. This doesn't mean Bob wears a white hat and is a good guy while Jane wheres a black hat and is the bad guy. That's boring storytelling. I'm glad it's not what is going on here.
                    Rush's new look by the middle of the season:

Trust me, it's coming.

regards,
                    G.
                    Go for Marty...

Comment

Gollumpus,

I wish there was a giant eye roll emoticon.

Comment

Well, ith the lack of razors.. i can see him getting a mustache

Comment

I'm kind of surprised they don't have a barber yet. Where's Nelix when you need him? I mean, they have the HR lady, the chef, the damsel, the... Why no barber? Was one of the expedition supplies a crate of nair?

Comment

Originally posted by Shadow_7 View Post
                            I'm kind of surprised they don't have a barber yet. Where's Nelix when you need him? I mean, they have the HR lady, the chef, the damsel, the... Why no barber? Was one of the expedition supplies a crate of nair?
                            Watch "Sabotage". Becker took that job.

Comment

So Becker is Nelix. And that tater tot surprise is boiled hair.

Comment

Neelix lol that was funny !!!! I agree the Info on the Bridge needs to stay away for a bit i cant watch the new episode till tomorrow on space so pumped !!!
                                sigpic
                                Kenton Canada

Comment

Working...
                                X