X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by themeatcleaver View Post
    It worked for the Ori...

Spoiler:
    I read a spoiler a while back that season two will have a massive space battle. at the time i was thinking it was going to occur with destiny but now i'm thinking it will be in the Milky Way. Man it would be nice to see Atlantis kick some serious ass again defending the planet. Sidenote: if anyone has further info on this please dont spoil me, i dont wanna know! haha
    It also didn't work for the Ancients in Pegasus
    Originally posted by aretood2
    Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by morbosfist View Post
      Hasn't stopped us from building no less than 6 interstellar warships and a gaggle of fighters. The Stargate makes supplies easy to retrieve.
      And we know how easy it is to cut off a single planet's access to the stargate system...

Originally posted by morbosfist View Post
      Countries like North Korea, Iran and Venezuela would very quickly get beaten when the US beamed all their nukes into deep space and threatened to turn their armies into molten glass if they didn't shut their mouths. Seriously, if the invasion came and it was time to defend the planet, the rest of the world would not have a say in the matter.
      Keep in mind that one of the 304's is Chinese and it's very likely that the Russians and Chinese are just waiting for the right moment to take power away from the US. If the US were to abuse their advanced technology to beam North Korea's nukes away that would probably even convince Israel and Britain to turn on the US. And the fact is that those aren't the only three countries who are anti-US. Venezuela has military alliances with Cuba, Ecuador, Nicaragua, Honduras and a bunch of other South American countries and even Russia and North Korea is pretty much backed by China so for the US to take unilateral action against them would be very bad (not to mention that it goes against everything that the UN stands for)...

Comment

It worked for the Ori...
        Yeah, but they had the benefit of dealing with people who weren't even willing to attack them, much less commit entire fleets to it. If they had brought the kind of world-crushing force Ba'al did to Earth in Continuum, they might have stood a chance.

Spoiler:
        I read a spoiler a while back that season two will have a massive space battle. at the time i was thinking it was going to occur with destiny but now i'm thinking it will be in the Milky Way. Man it would be nice to see Atlantis kick some serious ass again defending the planet. Sidenote: if anyone has further info on this please dont spoil me, i dont wanna know! haha
        There's no details beyond the basics, though it probably won't go down that way given what we've seen in previews.

Originally posted by tinerin View Post
        And we know how easy it is to cut off a single planet's access to the stargate system...
        Which is? Keep in mind the methods used thus far have all been countered.

Keep in mind that one of the 304's is Chinese and it's very likely that the Russians and Chinese are just waiting for the right moment to take power away from the US. If the US were to abuse their advanced technology to beam North Korea's nukes away that would probably even convince Israel and Britain to turn on the US. And the fact is that those aren't the only three countries who are anti-US. Venezuela has military alliances with Cuba, Ecuador, Nicaragua, Honduras and a bunch of other South American countries and even Russia and North Korea is pretty much backed by China so for the US to take unilateral action against them would be very bad (not to mention that it goes against everything that the UN stands for)...
        The Chinese 304 was crippled last we heard. They aren't in a position to do anything. Anyway, the Chinese and Russians would have to side with the US. They aren't stupid. If war is coming, you stick with the people who know what they're doing. But frankly, even if they did want to pull something, they wouldn't be a position to. The US has a lot of firepower to back up their side, and I seriously doubt they'd be willing to push the issue knowing what could happen.

Comment

If the Lucian Alliance launched a full scale invasion then all they would do is wake up a massive giant and fill him with an incredible rage. If Earth threw all it's manpower and resources into a galactic war the Lucian Alliance would be wiped out. Which the Lucian Alliance probably knows so they wouldn't want to unleash that force upon them. Either they destroy the earth with a few hundred naquadriah bombs or they leave the actual planet Earth alone, it's the only intelligent choice they can make.
          sigpic
          Doci of the BAG

Comment

That massive space battle is in resurgence. And it's between the destiny and probably an unknown foe or the smurfs

Comment

The writers are trying to whet our appetite I don't think we'll see an attack

Comment

Originally posted by GateroomGuard View Post
                If Earth threw all it's manpower and resources into a galactic war the Lucian Alliance would be wiped out.
                Do you really know that for sure though? I'd bet could eventually win like the Wraith did with Atlantis but it would just take a significant amount of time and losses. Even if we assumed Earth had enough resources stockpiled to bring our fleet up to a dozen 304's the Lucian Alliance could easily prevent us from using the stargate to build more ships or even repair our existing ships. So we'd have to spread out our fleet between defending Earth, attacking the Alliance and defending our offworld facilities if we are to have any hope of getting more resources. Eventually, we'd be stuck with just Atlantis which has a limited supply of drones and could not possibly protect the entire planet from attacks. If Atlantis was still sitting in San Francisco, do you think countries like Britain and France who are on the opposite side of the planet would just sit back as they get pounded?

Comment

The Alliance has no way to prevent Earth from using the Stargate. If they brought another one, they'd have to stay in orbit and they'd be caught. They can't steal it, because Earth has beaming jammers.

Comment

Do you really know that for sure though? I'd bet could eventually win like the Wraith did with Atlantis but it would just take a significant amount of time and losses. Even if we assumed Earth had enough resources stockpiled to bring our fleet up to a dozen 304's the Lucian Alliance could easily prevent us from using the stargate to build more ships or even repair our existing ships. So we'd have to spread out our fleet between defending Earth, attacking the Alliance and defending our offworld facilities if we are to have any hope of getting more resources. Eventually, we'd be stuck with just Atlantis which has a limited supply of drones and could not possibly protect the entire planet from attacks. If Atlantis was still sitting in San Francisco, do you think countries like Britain and France who are on the opposite side of the planet would just sit back as they get pounded?
                    We have the Jaffa and other allies. If Earth was fully brought into the war I'm pretty sure the Jaffa would have our backs until we could fully mobilize. The Lucian Alliance aren't the massive superpower of the galaxy, their only one group in a galaxy of many factions. The war so far has just been skirmishes and minor engagements. The Lucian Alliance have never been involved in any protracted battle or war. We have no places to defend but Earth basically. If the LA launched a full attack every 304 would be pulled back to Earth, the Jaffa would likely send a fleet as well to help. The LA are not in a position to win a battle to destroy Earth. If we need more supplies I'm sure our other allies and the Jaffa would be fine with shipping the materials to Earth. Ultimately the LA are raiders, they use hit and run attacks, or terrorist tactics. They aren't System Lords who would gather a huge armada and go after Earth.
                    sigpic
                    Doci of the BAG

Comment

Ultimately the LA are raiders, they use hit and run attacks, or terrorist tactics. They aren't System Lords who would gather a huge armada and go after Earth.
                      Exactly what I was thinking. A frontal assault doesn't seem to be their style. With this rather effective operation against the Destiny crew, they'll probably plan another big hit against Cheyenne Mountain, Atlantis, the Alpha Site, and other Earth holdings in the Milky Way. If the writers were trying to imitate real-world political situations, they've certainly got the potential to do it with the Lucian Alliance.
                      sigpic

Comment

Unless Earth can't detect cloaked ships, the Lucian Alliance would clearly win the war. Earth is only Earth. One planet. Everyone could easily be killed by detonating a large weapon on the supervolcanoes, wiping out all civilisation.

The plan Arkad (or however it's spelt, Teal'c's enemy) had would have worked if he pulled it off. But with the Asgard technology it's probable earth can detect goa'uld cloaked ships.

Comment

They may only hit an run attacks now, but the Lucian leader daughter just been killed, I would not be surprise if he been pissed an launch a full scale assault on earth when learns of that.

The only Jaffa I count on are Teal'c an Bra'tac an while they are capable of bringing in a Jaffa fleet I doubt it would be more than a few ships. The Jaffa nation council is not exactly pro earth.

Earth be more reliant of Puddle jumpers which are a match for a single Ha'tak after all an 304s, let hope they got a more those lying around. An Atlantis would be held in reserve, but from the pounding it took defending earth from the super hive I doubt it even operational let alone ready for combat. An we do not know whether there are any drones left.

Comment

We live in the Milky War galaxy?

Comment

Originally posted by escyos View Post
                              We live in the Milky War galaxy?
                              This explains much.
                              Last edited by Eternal Density; 06 October 2010, 02:11 AM. Reason: *chuckle*
                              "Most people who are watching TV are semi-catatonic. They're not fully alive." - U.S. District Court Judge Timothy Batten Sr.
                              Ronald Greer is also a medic. Your argument is invalid.
                              Originally posted by J-Whitt Remastered
                              Secondly, I think that everything DigiFluid is good.
                              Sandcastle Builder: The game of XKCD: Time

Comment

GG,

Less so than a full scale Hatak and deathglider assualt on Earth. If the LA go the bomb route Earth still can pull a cover story, if they full scale invade then all of Earth will mobilize. Rather than having just 4-5 304s Earth will start churning them out 3-4 a week.
                                How? I imagine building a 304 is not like welding together a liberty ship. The training for construction is likely to be highly technical and thus it wouldn't be easy to bring spaceyard crews up to speed. That will create an initial backlog giving the LA time to mount a numbers heavy assault. Once large numbers of construction crews are trained and assuming we have the resources to mass produce 304s, then (perhaps), Earth could churn out 3-4 a week. How long the lead up period to train constuction crews is a really good question.
                                All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story...

"Scott isn't out. Actually, he'll probably soon get back in, then out, then in, then out, then in, with rhythm and stamina." reddevil 4/22/2010

Comment

Working...
                                X