Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Young was pretty sweet choking that dude to death.

Comment

Originally posted by kymeric View Post
      Which one? Just kidding...

Comment

Sad to see Riley go in a mehpisode like this. Why not kill Eli or Scott instead? Those would have been bold moves on the writers' part. Now, killing Riley, a fan favorite secondary character? More of the same, and it just annoys the fans. Was this Cooper's gift for the fans before he left the franchise? Thanks, man. Riley could come back to the show anytime, though, with a little help from the Obelisk Builders, as one of Baltar's Rush's visions, etc.

The episode also brought out the worst of Rush and Young. Rush proved one more time that 1) he's not as smart as he think he is; 2) he couldn't care less about the lives of his fellow crew members. Young clearly lost it and is a liability to the ship and everyone around him. Telford should be put in charge of the mission asap.

There seemed to be a gate screw-up in the ep too. Destiny dials the planet and Eli and Scott come through the gate onto Destiny. Two-way wormholes? Lol, that's new in Stargate. I'm also worried about the LA situation. The writers got rid of a bunch of them in this episode. Soon enough, there won't be anyone left and a major cop-out will unfold.

On a side note, let me just say that Robert Knepper is being seriously underused in SGU. The same applies to LDP and Ming-Na. Why hire well-known actors if you don't intend to use them, or don't know what to do with them?

Liked: finally seeing Destiny's bridge, Rush's wife, Franklin, Ginn, that James is still alive.

5/10
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
          And I'm back to having no sympathy for Rush. In my mind, he's directly responsible for Riley's death, because had he simply told the truth from the beginning, that would not have happened; they also wouldn't have lost the only remaining shuttle ... and he's got the nerve to be pointing fingers at Young and saying he's not fit to command anything. Hello - pot calling kettle black?
          If Gloria is his conscience in some way, then she was absolutely right in saying that his negligence was directly responsible for putting the shuttle crew in that situation in the first place. You're correct that if he decided to be truthful about the access code, things would have been different.

Rush is still rationalizing away his egregious tactics and the body count under the pretext of "the greater good." He wasn't saving lives, though he may sincerely believe he's trying to do that. His actions in Aftermath aren't about the welfare of the crew no matter how much he can rationalize or justify it as such. This is about him being in control and proving that he's right.

He claims that Young is mentally unstable and unfit for command. Well, Young isn't seeing Gloria or Jeremy Franklin in his mind right now. That and there's the oh-so-little bit of dishonesty about the master code. On top of that, he cost them a shuttle and the life of a well-liked and excellent crewman. His hypocrisy is infuriating. Rush is WRONG. Period. He is NOT fit for command.
          Last edited by Cold Fuzz; 05 October 2010, 09:56 PM.
          sigpic

Comment

Riley was the Walter Harriman of the Destiny. It would be like someone killing off Walter. You can't do it.

Comment

Originally posted by sblade View Post
              There seemed to be a gate screw-up in the ep too. Destiny dials the planet and Eli and Scott come through the gate onto Destiny. Two-way wormholes? Lol, that's new in Stargate.
              That isn't what happened. Destiny tried to dial in, but the gate just shook without dialling. Eli then dialled in using his remote.

I'm also worried about the LA situation. The writers got rid of a bunch of them in this episode. Soon enough, there won't be anyone left and another major cop-out will unfold.
              All nameless grunts. They kept the important ones.

On a side note, let me just say that Robert Knepper is being seriously underused in SGU. The same applies to LDP and Ming-Na. Why hire well-known actors if you don't intend to use them, or don't know what to do with them?
              Patience. Their arcs will come now that they're permanent crew.

Comment

Originally posted by Selene1212 View Post
                Which one? Just kidding...
                Lol, the LA dude. It was pretty messed up watching Reilley die. How weirds that? A dying dude asks for help dying and its upsetting, whereas a bad guy is trying to hurt/kill people and gets beat to death and its manly. Ow my humanity hurts.

Comment

This episode was just ok to me, I wasn't really impressed. There was some cool moments and sad moments, but still an ok episode. Still slow for me I guess. Now next weeks episode looks like more my kind of thing.

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                    I don't know. How about moving it upward

It makes no sense for people like Greer and Eli to be standing on top of it and then walking through it like the average gate. Their is an orientation error if the gate wasn't moved up ward
                    Are we seriously having this conversation?

Greer and Eli were standing on top of it while it was buried to the top; it was like the situation with the Stargate at the beginning of The Shrine except with rocks instead of water and with the rocks burying the gate all the way to the top. The gate was vertical.

They they started digging, exposing the vertical gate. They then got lazy and blew away the rest of the crap buring the vertical gate, leaving the vertical gate mostly-unburied and standing vertically.

The End.

Anyway, the episode was...heavy. It's hard to really think of it as one episode as it clearly continued what Season 1 and Intervention started, and the emotions were just piled on more and more. It will take time for me to digest it, like with most SGU episodes. For now though, I can safely say that I liked it a lot!

Comment

Awesome episode. Great performances from thee actors and amazing special effects. I really didn't expect to get rid of the LA guys like that even if that was the best choice. Also right until the end I thought something was gonna happen and Riley will be saved. It was just an amazing episode
                      "Gegen diesen Idioten muss ich verlieren!" (A. Nimzowitsch)

Comment

This was a really good episode. Before I knew it was almost over. That is an indicator for me that I am locked in and not bored.

It was not surprising that Young felt like all of the LA should be dropped "off" world but his emotions is keeping him from using logic.
                        It is assumed that Telford knew Young's state of mind which is why he used the stones to contact the SGC and came back with the IOA/SGC orders. I would also assume that the SGC knows that Young would be in that state of mind after what has happened. Good move Telford!

Finding the bridge is long awaited. There was something that appeared on the console during the controls lock up that Parks was trying to fix that may have told Rush where to go. He went straight down a corridor to an elevator. He knew the right buttons to push on the elevator to take him up. The main door (possibly a blast door) required a code to open then depresses the button that exposes the bridge. The bridge powers up and then the blast doors on the windows lowers. I am assuming that it could be an optical illusion on whether the bridge is rising or that the blast doors were lowering to give the rising affect. I will have to view that scene again.

The manifestation of Gloria & Franklin may just be a result of Rush being in the chair and he is still wirelessly linked or Rush who is very much deprived of sleep and rest may be creating his own manifestations. This reminds me of McKay manifesting Sam Carter when the jumper sank to the bottom of the ocean. That was his subconscious rationalizing and working through the problem. Of course, McKay was not deprived of sleep but felt he was going to die. Either way, the case could be made that his subconscious created Gloria & Franklin more than it being tied to the chair.

Great special effects with the shuttle scenes. We never find out why the shuttle lost power after it cleared the turbulence but maybe it was intended to be a mystery and assumed that the turbulence had a direct effect on the failure.

It is apparent that Telford's cover was blown but not sure how or exactly when that unfolded. I didn't think that part was explained very well. This episode did not show any reactions from the LA guys that were selected to stay or dropped off world. Telford gave the list to Varro and then the next time we see the LA guys they were being sent through the gate and I assume on the planet that the shuttled crashed. I did see trees in the background and during the crash so was this a viable planet to survive on?

The problem with the gate not working was answered. After everyone tried to clear the rock from the gate then our favorite explosive, C4 came to the rescue. Clearing away all the rock that had apparently fallen and covered up the Stargate. Fortunately, it was still in an upright position for if it had fallen then you would have a 50/50 chance that the gate was facing up on the right side for the crew to return to Destiny and I don't think the LA guys could have walked through the gate if it had been lying down.
                        The TJ/Riley conversations were interesting and compelling. TJ tells Riley about the obelisk planet/baby story but unknowingly Parks was on the other side in which she heard every word. Hummm.

For me it ended up that the Riley character was the shock of the episode. Didn't see that coming. I have been trying to determine why Young was holding his breath as he agreed to Riley's request. Young's emotions have really gotten worse for you actually see tears. He will soon bottom out but I believe that he will find that certain spark that makes him turn the corner and be the leader we want to see. It is going to take a few more episodes if this is going to happen.

Simeon was in a very few scenes but he was basically a no show for this episode. Ginn had an interesting story to tell about how she ended up with the LA but is any or all of it true? Young said it; people will say anything to survive. I think that I saw Coz as one of the LA guys remaining on the ship. If so, he just might be the next Riley type of character.

This episode definitely brought out a lot of different emotions for me as a fan. It did have some hiccups or skipped over some things quickly but in my opinion this was an episode that was not boring.

And finally (mercifully)

The previews for next weeks episode brings my excitement level up another notch.

Comment

Young is not fit for command anymore.

Rush is not fit for command, ever.

Wray is useless as usual.

Riley is dead... well the one in that universe is. He could always make a comeback if they ever cross path with another Destiny from another universe... I bet that Destiny is in top shape and as shuttles too...

Comment

There seemed to be a gate screw-up in the ep too. Destiny dials the planet and Eli and Scott come through the gate onto Destiny. Two-way wormholes? Lol, that's new in Stargate.
                            From what I could tell, and this was not too clearly shown, Destiny tried dialing but couldn't connect because the event horizon was still partially blocked. The shaking stopped when the connection failed. They finished clearing the event horizon and dialed out. This is canon; the most notable mention was in "A Hundred Days," the gate was still active when buried causing the rock to harden away from the event horizon. In that case, the gate was able to connect.

Comment

Originally posted by kymeric View Post
                              that's nothing wait till he finds out rush unlocked the master code. destiny beat down pt 4
                              https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Originally posted by Pharaoh Atem View Post
                                that's nothing wait till he finds out rush unlocked the master code. destiny beat down pt 4
                                Yes, I am looking forward to that moment as well.

Comment

Working...
                                X