Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, this just proves it to me: Rob Cooper is just awesome. Along with Time, Justice and Lost, Aftermath will go down as one of my favourites in the SGU run. But, if I had to make one complaint about it, it would be this: they crammed too much in. I would've much preferred for the Lucian Alliance to actually get their own episode with Rush in the background figuring out clues, followed by Rush finding the bridge and the whole Riley thing in the next episode. You see, with a title like Aftermath, I was expecting an actual aftermath, a whole episode's worth, of the Lucian Alliance Incursion. Instead, it was like an Afterthought.

Maybe I'll be proved wrong in the coming weeks, but I think we could've benefited from more of an issue being made of the Lucian Alliance - why is Varro sane, why did Ginn finally step up and kill Dannic, what's up with Simeon, where does Telford stand with both sides - and of Rush actually, you know, maybe working on the mastercode just a bit (Or at least hunting down the bridge or something). With the first, we kinda lack a more fleshed resolution I thought SGU's style of storytelling was going to take, and with the second, we get Rush randomly figuring out the mastercode between episodes, finding the bridge and then promptly screwing stuff up.

But I digress. Maybe it's the writers deciding to buckle to the faster storytelling or something, but in the end, I'll survive - Aftermath was still fantastic as is, and me wanting more is just me wanting more. I'm crazy like that.

I liked how the three big storylines played off of each other. Because the Lucians were eating their food, the Destiny crew were willing to try any planet so as not to starve to death. Because Rush found the bridge and how to control Destiny, he decided to get some food as soon as he could and stopped at the super-rotation planet. Because of all that, the team was sent, even though the planet wrecked their shuttle. Young was so distracted by dealing with the shuttle crash that a riot went on, and that pissed him off to the point to kick the Lucians off... blah blah blah, we know how it goes. But still, great.

Now, to Riley. My favourite side character. Who within the first few episodes became one of my favourite Stargate characters. Of all time. And he died.

Well, at least it wasn't an exploding tumour.

In seriousness, I kinda pegged Riley as dead (He did get shot in Incursion 2 after all - he could've been shot and killed right there and then), or dead-to-come. It sucks, but I don't mind, because it was a good death. It was built-up, highlighted all kinds of hopelessness, and ended in a way I would never see coming - having my favourite main character suffocate (With eye contact and all) my favourite side character in a downright gutwrenching scene... It was great to watch, while being depressing.

Poor Young. Dude's sliding downhill fast - I got a kick out of Rush's "The man is mentally unstable!" crack. Yeah guy, nice one. You killed Riley, Rush. That's not a good thing in my book. The bridge stuff was interesting - the Gloria hallucination I liked (Louise Lombard <3), and I just know Young is going to be a mite angry when he finds out that Rush hid this from him. I know I would, and I'm not as psychotic as Young.

Everyone else was there, and they were cool. Chloe's lack of screentime was kinda meh, but her one scene at least highlighted that she and Scott are still going strong. Bet nobody saw that coming. I've been keeping a closer eye on Scott, and he's doing pretty great so far - he just needs one shining moment right now, something to make him stand out and make me cheer. Greer is Greer, always fun. Poor Eli, though - he and Riley were buds, and this whole thing must be sucky to him. Poor TJ (Though I like that Park knows about her baby too - I think she and TJ have a great, understated, friendship). Wray and Telford were cool beans - I liked that they weren't actively plotting or scheming. Good for them.

Overall, a great episode only slightly let down by the fact I wanted to see more, but eh. Oh, and Ginn is awesome. RIP Riley.
    ~ When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take back the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN! ~

~ Burning people! He says what we're all thinking! ~

Comment

Originally posted by kirmit View Post
      For some reason no, Fraisers death didn't affect me.
      I'm not the only one then!
      Chief Galen Tyrol: But how do you know I'm human?
      Brother Cavil: Oh, well, maybe because I'm a Cylon, and I've never seen you at any of the meetings.

Comment

Originally posted by Corona View Post
        Let me shift off Riley for a second and say this.

I need Eli to grow a set and quit the juvenile snivelling! I don't believe a person could experience (season one) and still be so lame emotionally. OMG, We're gonna die! Give me a break! I find it less believable given his IQ.

Good job besides that one thing. I'm enjoying the trip!
        Yes i fully agree with this. I really think Eli needs to get a grip!
        Chief Galen Tyrol: But how do you know I'm human?
        Brother Cavil: Oh, well, maybe because I'm a Cylon, and I've never seen you at any of the meetings.

Comment

Originally posted by Corona View Post
          I need Eli to grow a set and quit the juvenile snivelling! I don't believe a person could experience (season one) and still be so lame emotionally. OMG, We're gonna die! Give me a break! I find it less believable given his IQ.
          I'm sorry, but no. Because they have plot armor, we knew everyone on that planet wasn't going to die. Eli was perfectly justified in saying that, because there was a very good chance of that. And Riley DID die. There was no guarantee the gate would work, and if it didn't, they had no other options (barring divine intervention). And his "whining" was one or two sentences, that's it. If you think a sentence or two of venting is somehow juvenile, then you're hypocritical because everyone has a need to vent and does so.

At the least, you can find better examples to support your point. This was a bad one for you to try.

Comment

I just wanted to say that Riley's death was hard as hell to watch. The actor did a great job, it was well scripted, the other actors did a great job, the cinematography and lighting (with the last rays of the sunset lighting the interior of the shuttle during TJ and Riley's conversation) was gorgeous. But it was really gut wrenchingly awful, too. If that makes any sense.

It reminded me of my response to Grodin's death in SGA, I was just so upset, it felt like a real death, that sense of what the hell, the person is there and talking to you, then they are gone forever and you will never talk to them again.

Rambling, but I think they did a good job.
            sigpic
            Goodbye and Good Travels, Destiny!

Comment

Agreed on Riley's death. Full marks for idea and execution. His little line at the beginning of the ep was also a nice insight into his character as to what he believes.

Watching the ep I also felt quite bad for Young. It's just one thing after another and I don't think he is getting the proper emotional support from the people near him. In terms of personalities, I think the only person in a position to help him is Wray. Unfortunately his lack of respect for her and her apparent softness makes it difficult for him to lean on her. The only other guy who could help him through this is Telford, but he seems to be actively engaged in the Lucian Alliance mission currently. I almost wonder if they should do a temporary command swap for a period like they did with Perry. Bring on either another Colonel or even a higher ranked person just to take the heat for a bit. Barring that, Young's swaps back to Earth need to help him more. Jack really needs to sing the guy another song besides "deal with it", because it's not helping.

I greatly enjoyed the Rush scenes as well. Similarly to how he was when he first arrived on Destiny, he is heavily prone to sleep deprivation. It makes him difficult and now additionally, sloppy as well. It is somewhat strange though since the episode doesn't make it perfectly clear what the root cause of his inability to sleep is. Perhaps the presence of the LA, since he has nightmares about torture? We might have that under the surface he holds violent hate for the Lucian Alliance that is on par with Young's. The conversations with Gloria were hilarious and I loved how rationally Rush is able to not only regard the hallucination but he even tries to get it to work for him by requesting Franklin. It is clear though that the source of these visions is not entirely clear and they may very well be more to it than craziness or sleep deprivation, since Rush has never shown susceptibility to that sort of thing before.

On the visuals, the bridge looks really cool and the more I see of it, the more I love Destiny's Operating System. The system sound effects are awesome to. I find little details like that charming.

I also very much enjoyed the way certain technical clues and bits of info were disseminated in the ep:

Lucian Alliance conflict in the Milky Way escalating
              Lucian Alliance seem older and much more organized than I thought
              Destiny has real time gate up-links
              The course Destiny plots is also rather mysterious even with the new information the bridge gives
              The ftl drives must run continuously for 4 hours at a time. A very interesting piece of info.

Very cool ep with some heavy moments and some light ones to. This episode is another one of my favourites.

Comment

I did not see the superior technique that how they lifted the stargate which is approx. 30 tons (64000 pounds) of weight. it was horizontal and burried they fired C4 and the gate suddenly become vertical. sorry if someone answered this question before in this topic.
                Nou ani Anquietas

Comment

Originally posted by janus4ever View Post
                  I did not see the superior technique that how they lifted the stargate which is approx. 30 tons (64000 pounds) of weight. it was horizontal and burried they fired C4 and the gate suddenly become vertical. sorry if someone answered this question before in this topic.
                  This has been discussed quite a bit - the gate was not horizontal, it was buried vertically, someone posted a great screenshot that clearly showed that the gate was vertical under all the rock. I'll try to find it for you.
                  sigpic

Comment

I don't believe the buried gate was ever shown to be horizontal
                    drat - snaked by Carmen!
                    sigpic

SGU-RELATED FANART | IN YOUNG WE TRUST | FANDUMB

Comment

Borrowed from PG15's excellent post upthread:

You can see that they have started to dig the gate out, and have exposed the top chevron, which is clearly pointing down.

sigpic

Comment

Michael writes: “1) Was that I.O.A. report Wray relayed to Young about a Lucian Alliance attack on Earth the basis for the story arc of the final episodes of the season?”

Answer: It will definitely figure in to several episodes later in the season.

Michael also writes: “2) Are those aliens that built that solar system, in an ascended form akin to the Ancients or are they still flesh and blood aliens?”

Answer: Stay tuned.

Simon also writes: “Were you as shocked as I was when Rob killed off Riley?”

Answer: Not really. The story was discussed in the room with the other writers so everyone knew. Well, everyone except Carl who is very sensitive. He found out when he watched the episode on Tuesday. And cried.
                        http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...l-day-mailbag/
                        sigpic
                        The Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Thunk thread The Sam/RepliCarter Ship Thread

Comment

this episode had a lot of great scenes but it felt rather empty as a whole and the lucian thing got side-tracked in a bad way. I don't like the fact that Riley died so. The long silence of it was kinda tough to watch. But the stuff that really didnt make sense is Rush's irrational fear that Young will ruin his plans, as though they are on separate sides. And the lucian alliance's reason to take over destiny sounded pathetic but i bet we dont know much yet on what they were hinting at. Best scenes were the Rush ones and i guess Riley's final moments.
                          Last edited by Duneknight; 08 October 2010, 07:01 PM.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Duneknight View Post
                            this episode had a lot of great scenes but it felt rather empty as a whole and the lucian thing got side-tracked in a bad way. I don't like the fact that Riley died so. The long silence of it was kinda tough to watch.
                            it was powerful one of the best acted scenes in the series so far.
                            https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Originally posted by Pharaoh Atem View Post
                              it was powerful one of the best acted scenes in the series so far.
                              Agreed, that was absolutely brutal. The part that got me was the struggling that they BOTH did. Fantastic job by both actors.

I'm still super excited about the bridge discovery though! I cant wait to see how this factors into the show, something tells me the best has yet to come!

Comment

I can't wait for the Young/Rush fight that's sure to come when Young discovers that Rush has kept having control over the ship a secret. I'd love a finale where Rush controls the ship to leave Young behind somewhere. Poetic justice.
                                sigpic
                                More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

Working...
                                X