No plumbing/filtration system?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by timmciglobal View Post
    This is just getting stupid. We can have love affairs and things people building but basic life requirments well they are some shock and the hardest things to do on a ship allegidly built to explore the universe.

This is getting very stupid very fast. Atlantis started far better and far more logically then Thr ship that automatically stops for whatever you need but all it's real life support systems are borked. The FTL shields amazing flying robots they work fine but basic systems which would of been critical for it's core function not a single one works.

Suspension of belief and idiocy are not the same thing. This is Freddy kreuger level of everything going wrong but the stuff that should go wrong.
    The air and life support and other systems have been operating...(in one form or another) for thousands and millions of years.

The Kinos have not been operating because there has been no need, and presumably, no one to use them that much.

Comment

Really... Something that needs a massive planet sized power source to dial to and was meant to explore the universe manned the core life support isn't necessary for longevity to work when they gate on board and can't gate back.

That is bs. Go ask NASA what's more important on the iss the life support or the light bulbs becaus I've yet to see one light not work but water food and air well those they don't work.

It's idiotic, it's Atlantis in bizzaroland where the anients screw up seeming everything needed to make this ship actually work as intended.

How long do we have to wait till one single thing works on destiny that should and the magic pitstopmachine to stop working bcause that's getting old. Can't build a renewable water filtration system to work but your ship can magically know what's wrong and stop you at the nearest planet to have you do just barely enough tot fix it but not be automatted like the star energy collection.

Lame.

Tim
      whoa, calm down!

filtration systems usually use organic components so they degrade a lot quicker. and i imagine a few million years of water flowing around the ship might have worn down a few things too.

Atlantis was different, it was under the ocean, protected by a shield and the ancients had been there for millions of years previous, they would have fixed problems as they cam up.....they haven tbeen on destiny

ONCE AGAIN. the ancients NEVER, as in they have NOT ever been aboard, they intended to gate aboard a LONG time ago, the ship was never meant to travel so far for so long unmanned

Comment

Really... Something that needs a massive planet sized power source to dial to and was meant to explore the universe manned the core life support isn't necessary for longevity to work when they gate on board and can't gate back.

That is bs. Go ask NASA what's more important on the iss the life support or the light bulbs becaus I've yet to see one light not work but water food and air well those they don't work.

It's idiotic, it's Atlantis in bizzaroland where the anients screw up seeming everything needed to make this ship actually work as intended.

How long do we have to wait till one single thing works on destiny that should and the magic pitstopmachine to stop working bcause that's getting old. Can't build a renewable water filtration system to work but your ship can magically know what's wrong and stop you at the nearest planet to have you do just barely enough tot fix it but not be automatted like the star energy collection.

Lame.

Tim
        Honestly,

Your posts seem pretty hostile in this thread; not just towards the show but towards the other posters on this forum.

As I stated in my above post, the people on the ship probably don't know how to run it all yet. There are only a few people who speak ancient so far, and its a very big ship. There also seems to be codes in place to lock them out of the major systems hense why they haven't gotten the ship completely under their control. Finally, they haven't even found the bridge yet, just a control room. Who's to say they can operate everything from that control room?

Infact, they are doing exactly what they did in Atlantis. They are showing you a little at first, and each episode expanding on the ship and showing you more. Its likely that these people don't know how to run everything yet. We're only 6 Episodes in (Counting Air part 1 and 2 seperately) and it makes sense they are trying to solve the problems first. Pretty soon we'll start seeing storylines that will focus on other things. Startrek Voyager did this the first few episodes as well.

In real life, if you program a website today, chances are if you don't even go and maintain it that it will start falling apart after a decade. I can actually vouch for that as having been one of the original members of an online roleplaying website 10 years ago, and today with maintenance not being done regularily the site has a number of things not working properly.

Anyway, I think that's what is going on here. Not that the ship can't do these things, but just that they don't know how to make the ship do these things yet.

- CB
        Before you insult a man, walk a mile in his shoes.
        Then, you're a mile away ... and you have his shoes.

Enjoy Online Roleplaying? So do I! Contact me over any listed IM program to learn about my Online Roleplaying Website! (E-Mail me first if you plan to contact me through MSN, I have privacy mode enabled.)

Or join my Roleplaying Group, and I'll contact you!

Comment

The water was bring stolen by the entity, hows a filtration system going to help them with that you jackass

Comment

WARNING possible speculation/Spoilers

Spoiler:
            To answer the initial poster's question, they stated at the beginning of Darkness that they were working on the filtration system. I would assume that like most of the systems that require chemical reactions it might still need fresh Diatomic particles to filter out impurities. I would bet this might be involved in the episode " Earth"

Lame.

Tim
            OK, I will try to talk about each of the things wrong here in whatever order comes out of my mind-

First, the lighting issue- have you Ever heard of an LED, a light-emitting Diode? They can last for insanely long periods of time, especially when run in an intermittent relay series for cooling/longevity. It is fully possible the lights on Destiny use this technology, since Earth "invented" them around 45 years or so ago. It makes sense that the ancients could have perfected this millions of years ago. Also, I have seen plenty of lights out. All over the ship, and plenty more flickering. That's why the ship is so dark. If I had a DVR I would totally make a few dozen screen shots right now just to drive the point home, but I don't, so I will have to rely on someone else if you are insistent on this issue. Or how about the Entire 2 episodes involved in turning the lights back on?

Second, life support. The system was not meant to sit there for almost a million years before getting recharged. The ancients would have been maintaining it normally and would not have let it get so badly degraded. The easiest system to maintain and replace parts for, billions of light years from home, is a chemical CO2 scrubber. So that is what the Ancients installed on Destiny. It is also what NASA uses. Quite frankly, it is an absolutely brilliant idea for a ship meant to operate independently.

Third- I think the fact that most of the lighting, the kinos, the one shuttle, the control panels, the recharging plate, mist shower and various other systems are still working is a testament to the tech they used on this ship. All designed to last. Sure some systems should be expected to degrade. How many other Ancient built, self guided ships have we seen? Oh right, none. In reality, compared to the Aurora this is the best preserved FTL capable Ancient ship we have come across EVER. At least the Destiny has working engines and shields. And the destiny is older than the Aurora!

The show is not "Atlantis bizzaro land". Atlantis was only saved in such good shape by Dr. Weir going back in time and rotating the ZPMs to make the shield last long enough for the team to get there, and having someone write a subroutine into the system to surface the city if the shield ran out.

Without a convenient, goofy time travel solution to prop up an explanation, the idea of Atlantis surviving in such nice shape is a cop out, and utterly implausible considering the condition of EVERY OTHER Ancient outpost ever found. Most of them withered away to natural forces, as would be expected over hundreds of thousands of years. The writers had to come up with a solution or it would make the show even more campy and unbelievable.

And to round out my post with your initial point- who is to say the ancients didn't just plan to set up a few (hundred) thousand ZPM's to go to Destiny? We are the ones that needed the planet to get there, because we haven't found out how to make ZPM's. Also, dialing the ship would most likely have taken less power a few hundred thousand years ago, since the ship was closer then.

This is just getting stupid. We can have love affairs and things people building but basic life requirments well they are some shock and the hardest things to do on a ship allegidly built to explore the universe.

This is getting very stupid very fast. Atlantis started far better and far more logically then Thr ship that automatically stops for whatever you need but all it's real life support systems are borked. The FTL shields amazing flying robots they work fine but basic systems which would of been critical for it's core function not a single one works.

Suspension of belief and idiocy are not the same thing. This is Freddy kreuger level of everything going wrong but the stuff that should go wrong.
            I'm sorry you don't like SGU. If you stopped trying to focus on reasons to cry and compare a beat up old ship to the only 2 pieces of perfectly preserved ancient tech ( Atlantis and the Earth drone chair that was preserved under antarctic Ice) you might actually enjoy the show!

Atlantis is gone, and it is not coming back.

Comment

Originally posted by Pharaoh Atem View Post
              if i remember correctly someone did say that the recycling system wasn't working yet ..

it's there just like all the main system the crew hasn't be able to access it
              Copy that. If the main computer has locked the crew out of the primary systems (I think Rush mentioned that), getting to the waste recycling system manually, especially if they don't know exactly how the damn thing works, would be horribly problematic--and messy.
              sigpic

Comment

they're on the destiny for about.... well they found suits and got to analyze them. maybe, 5 days or so? a week at max?

yes, you get on a large spaceship, and in 1 week everyhting is found out and in perfect working order.

Comment

The ship has been flying around for hundreds of thousands of years. It's been pretty beat up in that time. Furthermore, the ship systems are locked. No one on board can access the many of the systems yet. Your expectation that everything be working properly after so many years of neglect is ridiculous.

Now about the water system. There is a recycling system, but they have not been able to get it working yet. Maybe the ship can make clean water from the ice that was right by the gate. However, no one on the ship knows if it can and trying to figure it out by throwing a bunch of ice into your water supply that has a bunch of ammonia and other chemicalssin it would be stupid because if it doesn't work, you just ruined your water supply.
                  I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.

Comment

Well let use a bit of comment sense shall we.
                    The ancient this craft out to search an explore the universe, for millions of years until they were ready to come an retrieve the data an may be travel with the ship, may be repairing an upgrading it.
                    If we break this goal down an say what would ship need to keep operational.

Computers systems
                    So shields and engines an power collectors
                    Sensors
                    stargate

What the ship could sacrifice an still maintain it mission.

Weapons.
                    Life support, water filtration, oxygen recycling
                    lights

You can clearly see that the ancients would off design the destiny to sacriface non essential systems as an when necessary, why doing it best to keep the essential ones for the mission going at all cost. The lights are still functioning probably because they been rarely use. We can build lightbulbs that lasts up to 20 years, I bet the ancients can do ones which can last far far longer, especially when they not working an just kept off.

Given the amount of damage the ship has taken an seemingly lack of self repair, which seem to be the only design flaw on the destiny so far. But there may be one but it may only be design to keep the mission critical systems functional.

Comment

I feel that people are forgetting the main point. In order for Destiny to survive, the systems that are operational are the only real systems needed for Destiny.

The systems that have collapsed are the ones to keep the humans alive. So everything that Destiny needs to have work is working (well as much as we can determine).

Now that the human crew with the human needs are on board, the systems that pertain to sustaining humans are now in need of repair.

I'm not sure why this point escapes people!

Neera: "You do not fear them?"
                      : "The Wraith? Naah. Now *clowns* — that's another story."

Comment

What would have been funny, if the Destiny was not supposed to have passengers, is that there was no oxygen at all, and in the pilot, when everybody was jumping out of the stargate, they would all suffocate and die...

Comment

do you just hate SGU?

it's been done in atlantis. well, there they drowned

Comment

It appears to me that the systems that survived were the non-consumable electronics, and the ones that have issues (lights, filters, air) are the ones that on earth are consumable. Sure earth electronics don't last forever but flash memory is pretty good, and my dad has a programmable calculator that's about 25 years old that works perfectly. And we've seen Stargate tech that's insanely old before work fine.
                            Why are Stargate scientists so awesome?

Comment

Lame.

Tim

Last I knew, they called it Science Fiction for a reason. Go figure.

Comment

The real reason they don't have these things is Dr. Anti-Hero Rush (yes that is his real first name) doesn't want the crew to have those things. This allows all those people to be under his control while he "searches" for solutions. He probably caused the seismic issues on that planet with the base just to get to this ship.

Comment

Working...
                                X