No announcement yet.

Was I the only one?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No, didn't make me happy. Just made it obvious that it had to be either time travel or alternate universe. I was expecting alternate universe. Must of missed something at the beginning that was the clue for time travel due to zoning out from boredom.....
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by nemesis24 View Post
      I was actually disappointed because as soon as she died the second time i knew where the ep was heading - ie they send a kino back again telling the new arrivals on the planet what to do
      Not predicting where episodes are going for the win
      I did not realize what was going on until Scott was all alone there trying to head back for the gate

Originally posted by Khentkawes View Post
      Apparently, you're not the only one.

I wasn't relieved. First time, I knew wasn't final because there was obvious time travel going on (if you watched the previews). The second time... I found the timing quite dramatic, and I felt bad for Eli. So no. No relief from me.

the "teenager-ish blowout" was when she was drunk. And it was funny! Sorry, I'm amused by the behavior of drunk people (in both fiction and real life).

And she's also stood up to Rush. Twice. So I disagree with your statement about "all she has done..."
      copy cat
      I do not think I would ever be happy that a main character died, unless they were plain evil or something. Like Telford....Telford is the only character that I might be happy to see die...or be in pain...or something. But that is a debate for another time.
      I particularily was not happy this time at all either, quite the opposite. The timing of it, and the way it was handled...along with the assmption that this was Stargate that they would impossibly get the cure and then go back through the gate and TJ would come up with some brilliant solution. Her and then there deaths had quite the effect actually. And personally i think if anything it increases the sense of danger with me, none of these people are safe, if they can be killed off so horifically.

Comment

If she ran around naked all the time on the show I'm sure everybody would love her character. So let not write her off yet.
        sigpic

Comment

No, not the only one.

But there are those of us on the other side that see a charecter like Chloe with the most possibilities. She's essentially a blank slate who's had her entire life and everything she is invalidated by her circumstances. She doesn't even have a set of transferable skills.

As I said on the other board, it actually would have been more interesting to me if the other three had died because I've never seen a show that would raise the stakes so high and so fast. Now that's not what they did, but it would have been interesting.

But Chloe dying? Not so much. And Scott dying neither for the record. I think there are too many on the Chloe/Eli ship honestly. Anyone who upsets it appears to be expendable.

Comment

Originally posted by Col.Foley View Post
            And personally i think if anything it increases the sense of danger with me, none of these people are safe, if they can be killed off so horifically.
            For me it just reinforced the fact that the reset button is a cheap ploy that the SG writers (for some reason) enjoy using as a crutch. For once, they did something awesome and killed off a bunch of people. They even did it twice! But then, oops, sorry viewers, reset so we can use these characters next episode.

It showed me that the SGU writers are afraid to kill off the main characters, and thus, that all the main characters are in fact "safe," at least until a season finale.

Classic Stargate. Classic failure of writing.
            Last edited by JeBuSBrian; 14 November 2009, 01:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JeBuSBrian View Post
              You were definitely not the only one. I cheered when I saw her die the first time. I was genuinely happy when she died 'for real' the second time, and mortified when it turned out to be a "To Be Continued" episode.
              It's too early in this show's run to have to hit the "time travel" reset button. .
              This

Comment

Originally posted by JeBuSBrian View Post
                For me it just reinforced the fact that the reset button is a cheap ploy that the SG writers (for some reason) enjoy using as a crutch. For once, they did something awesome and killed off a bunch of people. They even did it twice! But then, oops, sorry viewers, reset so we can use these characters next episode.

Classic Stargate. Classic failure of writing.
                Well, if they killed off a bunch of main characters right away after building up a bunch of stories about them and investing time, money, and energy into promoting the show with these characters including promotional shots, etc etc, then they would actually lose money rather then make money. This is a buisness, lets not forget that there is alot of time and energy involved in making a show. Plus, I doubt they thought people would dislike some of the characters in the show so much and these episodes are filmed long before they are shot and we see them on screen. Something like 7 or 8 months worth of time go by. So killing off everyone so quickly wouldn't be a big shock because it would leak out long before like it did with Carson, Weir, Ford, and many others who were removed from the show in one way or another.

"Reset Button" as people call it isn't a ploy, its a device that allows them to show characters and interactions we would otherwise never get a chance to see until the character really died and then we wouldn't get to see how it helped them develop.

The only place character death can be done so easily without losing a ton of invested time and money into real actors is in Books, Comics, and Online Stories where you don't have to spend Hundreds of Thousands of Dollars promoting a character and paying real people real money to build and develop a concept.

Just some thoughts.

- CB
                Before you insult a man, walk a mile in his shoes.
                Then, you're a mile away ... and you have his shoes.

Enjoy Online Roleplaying? So do I! Contact me over any listed IM program to learn about my Online Roleplaying Website! (E-Mail me first if you plan to contact me through MSN, I have privacy mode enabled.)

Or join my Roleplaying Group, and I'll contact you!

Comment

@Cecil Brax
                  Those are all valid points in the "meta" sense. But as far as immersion goes, it totally ruined it for me. Logically, I can understand why it is done. It's business, it's money. But as far as defending it as good story-telling, I can't, because it isn't good story-telling. It's a cop-out.

This show was marketed as a show with consequences. They could have lived up to that, and killed off one or two main characters and a handful of the "recurring extras". But they didn't.

Comment

That's the problem with TV, unfortunately: everyone feels like they have to like every character. Chloe does bring a lot of emotional and unnecessary baggage to the show, but life has a lot of emotional and unnecessary baggage and it would be too cliche if all of these people weren't that way. That's kind of the point of the whole show. These people are normal people with normal baggage. Get over it.

Comment

To feel slightly relieved when we saw Chloe die, 1st or 2nd time?
                      I wasn't.
                      If you're wondering how he eats & breathes, and other science facts...(la! la! la!)
                      Then repeat to yourself its just a show, I should really just relax.

I own "Future War"..I can put up with a lot

sigpic - Black Belt Test 10/24/2009 -

Comment

i personally do not want chloe to die
                        and it's got nothing to do with my XY chromosome...

she is the 1 person on the ship who is involved with the Stargate program almost completely against her will and has absolutely nothing of value to contribute to the crew... no command or survival knowledge, no political expertise (to be used in dealing with the eventual problems between military and civilian cliques), no mathematical, physics, or Stargate knowledge.... nothing... her father died saving them, and she's cut off from her only family.....

i think there is a lot of story potential with her, exploring her sense of uselessness, and whether or not she can grow to be a very valuable component of the crew......
                        Colonel Jack O'Neill: So what's your impression of Alar?
                        Teal'c: That he is concealing something.
                        Colonel Jack O'Neill: Like what?
                        Teal'c: I am unsure. He is concealing it.

Comment

Originally posted by mylestaylor View Post
                          That's the problem with TV, unfortunately: everyone feels like they have to like every character. Chloe does bring a lot of emotional and unnecessary baggage to the show, but life has a lot of emotional and unnecessary baggage and it would be too cliche if all of these people weren't that way. That's kind of the point of the whole show. These people are normal people with normal baggage. Get over it.
                          Chloe is easily the character I like least on the show, but I would have been more satisfied if any character in the episode actually died, rather than get reset. The writers should make things matter, not just for character development, but to keep the show from being predictable. And the fact that they've now proven they are afraid to kill the main characters tells me that nothing that happens during any given episode really matters, because at the end of the day, they'll all still be there for the next episode.

Comment

Originally posted by IrishPisano View Post
                            i think there is a lot of story potential with her, exploring her sense of uselessness, and whether or not she can grow to be a very valuable component of the crew......
                            Thank you. I knew I couldn't be the only one who caught that.

Comment

seeing her in future promo pics semi ruined it for me
                              https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

she is one of my favorite character. i really thought she was dead for a second.

Comment

Working...
                                X