No announcement yet.

Environmental Suits.....forgotten?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sg1 didn't always travel to planets with suits and all the new new their gathered along the way
    https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Originally posted by Commander Zelix View Post
      After realizing they need to go to planet to capture an flying alien alive to have a cure for the water disease. Their plan seemed pretty half-assed. In fact, they didn't have a plan. .
      Agreed. It just seemed like they said "oh the vid said go get them cause the critters can cure us. Lets head out!"

Also, flamethrowers are ill advised on a jungle planet. You could literally burn down the whole planet.
      It looked like that jungle was very moist. Therefore the flame thrower would not (IMO) have burned the place down.

Comment

also i dont think they wanted to lose the suits if they did nothign to protect them.

Comment

Yeah, I kinda doubt those suits would have been much good for protection. Those bugs chewed through the people in seconds flat.

The flamethrower... well, they needed a live specimen; not a bbq'ed one!

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Hurin View Post
            The flamethrower... well, they needed a live specimen; not a bbq'ed one!
            Rush: Do they burn?
            Greer: They do now
            If you're wondering how he eats & breathes, and other science facts...(la! la! la!)
            Then repeat to yourself its just a show, I should really just relax.

I own "Future War"..I can put up with a lot

sigpic - Black Belt Test 10/24/2009 -

Comment

Originally posted by Lightning Ducj View Post
              Rush: Do they burn?
              Greer: They do now
              There good eating!

Comment

Originally posted by Darschu View Post
                Why did they not go back to the planet using the environmental suits as armor?
                And Destroy your only two suits? Terrible idea.

-flamethrower
                -spot lights (nocturnal creatures)
                -flares
                -nets
                Maybe the flame thrower, if they still had the means to fuel it, but where would they get the spot lights and nets?

It was a suicide mission by all definitions with what they brought along. Even with the limited amount of "time" available, this was a botched mission.
                Nothing ever goes as planned, no matter how well thought out or planned the mission is. Besides, none of what you mentioned would have made a significant difference.
                I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.

Comment

Originally posted by Xamindar View Post
                  Bull crap! Sheppard was able to get into a space suit, hanging on the wall, half unconcious, within seconds while the midway station was being depressurized. If that is true, then the people on the Destiny had TONS of time and were just being careless (or very bad writing by the writers).
                  Ok, so because they did something silly like this once it should be precedent? I don't think so. I can find out how long a NASA Apollo space suit takes to put on and get back to y'all.

Comment

Originally posted by Avenger View Post
                    And Destroy your only two suits? Terrible idea.

Maybe the flame thrower, if they still had the means to fuel it, but where would they get the spot lights and nets?

Nothing ever goes as planned, no matter how well thought out or planned the mission is. Besides, none of what you mentioned would have made a significant difference.

I generally do not like quoting someone in a reply as it always comes across as personal, but I really have to ask what is the difference between everyone dead, and a couple beat up suits (if...if there was enough time to put them on...ok...if).

It's more of the idea that nothing was quickly discussed. It's like they were standing in line at a bank and decided to rob it.

Now tell us what exactly would have made a difference? Pending future episodes explaining how Lt. "got a skirt, got a pulse" gets the Kino Back To The Future.

And does the same Kino occupying the same space at the same time unravel space and time. Or does the Alpha Kino negate the Beta Kino and reset to an alternate timeline? If so, then they have nets and they have torches as well...

Also, is there a group of white hats out there bent on defending SGU at all costs no matter how silly it gets? Just curious you know.

Comment

Well, they seemed to have time to bring "essentials" like iPods and iPod accessories (docks, speakers, headphones), so I imagine that they would be able to bring some bright lights of some sort in case the place they went to didn't have lights... But really, the iPods should NOT be there. Exact quote from Rush during the attack on Icarus:
                      "Hmmm.... pistol, or iPod? iPod, since there's an app for fighting aliens!"
                      That is all.
                      The Communist Party!
                      sigpic

Comment

I generally do not like quoting someone in a reply as it always comes across as personal, but I really have to ask what is the difference between everyone dead, and a couple beat up suits (if...if there was enough time to put them on...ok...if).

It's more of the idea that nothing was quickly discussed. It's like they were standing in line at a bank and decided to rob it.
                        Well, hindsight is 20/20. They didn't KNOW they would all end up dead, did they? If they did, then I doubt they would've gone through with only 4 of them. There was a definite timing issue in the situation, and like I said above, what makes you think the suits would even do anything to stop those aliens?
                        Spoiler:
                        I mean, some ice punctured one of them in Water
                        so do you really think it would act like steel plate armour in this instance?

Also, is there a group of white hats out there bent on defending SGU at all costs no matter how silly it gets? Just curious you know.
                        Is it totally inconceivable to you that some of us like the show? Sure, stuff doesn't get blown up every episode, but it's a fun show to watch. Apparently silliness in SG-1 and SGA is completely defendable (like Sheppard getting into a space suit in 3.2 seconds while under heavy duress, as said above) so why not in SGU?

Comment

Spoiler:
                          I mean, some ice punctured one of them in Water
                          so do you really think it would act like steel plate armour in this instance?
                          Spoiler:
                          I am going to have to think that Tectonic sheets of "some ice" breaking apart a suit in a crevasse just might exert a LOT more crushing pressure than a pair of fangs and a slippery tongue.

Hell I'll agree that there was most likely little to no time to put the suits on at this point.

Is it totally inconceivable to you that some of us like the show? Sure, stuff doesn't get blown up every episode, but it's a fun show to watch. Apparently silliness in SG-1 and SGA is completely defendable (like Sheppard getting into a space suit in 3.2 seconds while under heavy duress, as said above) so why not in SGU?
                          Not being able to concede nonsense for the sake of defending a series is inconceivable.
                          " I do not think it means what you think it means "
                          Love Star Trek, by god it's got some dumb as hell plot holes. SG1 ; just how many times is Daniel going to ascend? SGA ; seriously a worm drive?

They didn't KNOW they would all end up dead, did they?
                          (4) Soldiers going through the gate into a situation they saw unfold with their very own eyes on the kino replay, yeh they knew they were all dead.

Comment

Originally posted by Xamindar View Post
                            Bull crap! Sheppard was able to get into a space suit, hanging on the wall, half unconcious, within seconds while the midway station was being depressurized. If that is true, then the people on the Destiny had TONS of time and were just being careless (or very bad writing by the writers).
                            Actually, that isn't true. Stargate has never ever used Spacesuits accurately. My first job out of college was working for ILC/Dover, the maker of the soft goods part of the Apollo and shuttle space suits, at the Johnson Space Center. In real life you have to get into the space suit, which does take quite a while. And then you just hang around in the suit for a few hours doing the prebreathe where you go from a regular air mixture of oxygen and nitrogen to pure oxygen. If you don't do this there will be nitrogen in your bloodstream and when the suit is at its working pressure you will get the bends and are liable to die. The suits have to work at a way lower than normal atmospheric pressure or else they are just too stiff and controlled movement is not possible, much less handling tools.

Now in the one episode with the replicators taking over Thor's ship it is Teal'c that they send out in the space suit. It can be explained that Junior kept him from getting the bends. But other than that.... inaccuracy with RL abounds! I could go on and on!
                            sigpic

Comment

Ok, so because they did something silly like this once it should be precedent? I don't think so. I can find out how long a NASA Apollo space suit takes to put on and get back to y'all.
                              Apollo suits take way longer than the current modular shuttle suits. Each Apollo suit was custom fitted to each astronaut. The shuttle suits are modular and come in fixed sizes. Now they have on ocassion done a few things special. I remember one day a tech walked by my office with the hard shell for the upper torso. I said "Hey, that looks like it would fit me!" He explained that it was to be part of a suit they were developing for Dr. Anna Fisher, a very petite woman. They were having trouble fitting Dr Fisher into a suit using the current stock.
                              sigpic

Comment

Not sure if this was mentioned, but... those suits probably aren't that maneuverable when in... and the aliens they were after moved pretty fast... so... it probably could have just added to the complications.

Anubis 10545 on Stargate Wiki - A database for all Stargate knowledge.

Comment

Working...
                                X