Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So wait, you're saying it does or does not make sense/ You've confused me too. I despise time travel. I really do.

Comment

Originally posted by Automission View Post
      So wait, you're saying it does or does not make sense/ You've confused me too. I despise time travel. I really do.
      Spoiler:

Image, spoilers for size.

Something like that?

Comment

Eh suppose that could make some sort of sense, but that assumes all timelines were in the same reality.

The problem with SG1 is sometimes an alternate timeline turns into an alternate reality, or in this case it all happens in the same reality.

But maybe i was wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by The Prophet View Post
          Spoiler:

Image, spoilers for size.

Something like that?
          I agree with your first diagram it makes the most sense but SG in the past has subscribed to the one timeline, they have however tried to avoid grandfather paradox's.

This time they failed to do so, miserably. So your second diagram may better represent what 'actually' happened it makes no sense what so ever.

Comment

All I have to say about time-travel is this....
            ONE POINT TWENTY-ONE GIGIWATTS!!!!!!!

But seriously, time-travel paradox's aside, at least they were able to deal with the water-born sickness they picked up in an inventive way. And at least the third time around TJ wouldn't have wasted their entire stock of antibiotics trying to treat everyone.

And as far as Chloe's character goes, she is annoying, but I think a character like hers is entirely plausible. She wants to be nice to everyone, but in the process, gives off a lot of mixed signals.

All I know is that as soon as the crew finds a planet with humanoid women, Scott will find a new home for a certain part of his anatomy considering how often he enjoys using it. Chloe will get mad and sleep with Eli, but will then proceed to make up with Scott after they all jump back to FTL, but then she will be pregnant with Eli's baby or something. Jerry! Jerry! Jerry! Jerry!

Comment

Originally posted by majatt View Post
              Timeline 1 (w/random dates)
              • Nov 2nd 2009 - Kino 1 is tossed into Wormhole.
              • January 1st 2009 - Kino 1 lands.

Timeline 2 (continuing the random dates)
              • Nov 1st 2009 - Kino 1 is discovered.
              • Nov 2nd 2009 - Kino 1 is NOT thrown into the past.

If discovering the Kino meant it was never thrown back then how could they discover it to not to throw it back? i.e. the event of discovering the Kino destroys the events which caused it to be there in the first place...a grand father paradox.

Put it this way:
              • If Event/Object A (discovering Kino)
              • Produces B (Scott is not bitten by creature)
              • B produces C (A different version of the Kino being tossed into the wormhole).
              • Then C alters A

How can C exist to alter A if B never happened because of C? A grand father paradox.

So the only logical explanation I could muster is a 2nd timeline that 'split' off from the first on when the Kino first landed and then a 3rd etc.
              This was explained in an episode of SG1. I believe the episode was 2010. Because we live in a multi-verse, each paradox would create another timeline. Timeline 1 still exists where everyone's dead, timeline 2 still exists where everyone dies, timeline 3 exists where they live, and there's a fourth timeline that is created by the 3rd not making and sending back a tape, thus 4 creates a recording, creating a 5.

Originally posted by Mortock42 View Post

But seriously, time-travel paradox's aside, at least they were able to deal with the water-born sickness they picked up in an inventive way. And at least the third time around TJ wouldn't have wasted their entire stock of antibiotics trying to treat everyone.

And as far as Chloe's character goes, she is annoying, but I think a character like hers is entirely plausible. She wants to be nice to everyone, but in the process, gives off a lot of mixed signals.

All I know is that as soon as the crew finds a planet with humanoid women, Scott will find a new home for a certain part of his anatomy considering how often he enjoys using it. Chloe will get mad and sleep with Eli, but will then proceed to make up with Scott after they all jump back to FTL, but then she will be pregnant with Eli's baby or something. Jerry! Jerry! Jerry! Jerry!
              I would watch that episode!

'happiness is a warm gun' sig made by Bandcat
              Draco sig made by Spork67

Comment

Originally posted by missmobius View Post
                I have never seen a post on this site that said they wanted SGU cancelled.
                Either you're not looking far enough or else they've been deleted already.

Aeyame: I'm pretty sure that the result of not sending something back in time is a new timeline not being formed.
                "Most people who are watching TV are semi-catatonic. They're not fully alive." - U.S. District Court Judge Timothy Batten Sr.
                Ronald Greer is also a medic. Your argument is invalid.
                Originally posted by J-Whitt Remastered
                Secondly, I think that everything DigiFluid is good.
                Sandcastle Builder: The game of XKCD: Time

Comment

ED: It is because to make a new timeline does not require adding something new. It just requires something to change, and something being removed is a change.

'happiness is a warm gun' sig made by Bandcat
                  Draco sig made by Spork67

Comment

Originally posted by Aeyame View Post
                    ED: It is because to make a new timeline does not require adding something new. It just requires something to change, and something being removed is a change.
                    Imho, to make a new timeline requires changing the past. Not changing the past does not change the past. And it doesn't unchange the past because it was already changed, in the past. If the change in the past that resulted in a future in which the past is not changed caused a new timeline to be created in which past is not changed, then we'd be right back where we started and time would never progress any further. Although I suppose you could say that in the first two timelines, the timeline ends when the Kino travels back, and in the third timeline, time continues because it is the only timeline that does not lead to a change of the past. Eh, I suppose it doesn't really matter.
                    "Most people who are watching TV are semi-catatonic. They're not fully alive." - U.S. District Court Judge Timothy Batten Sr.
                    Ronald Greer is also a medic. Your argument is invalid.
                    Originally posted by J-Whitt Remastered
                    Secondly, I think that everything DigiFluid is good.
                    Sandcastle Builder: The game of XKCD: Time

Comment

Oh yeah, another reset. That's what I am expecting anyways and it drives me freaking nuts watching sci-fi and seeing that bull poop over and over and over. Great plot device. I guess in this one they can say there was character development because of the footage everyone watched on the kenos but I still hate it.

Comment

I'm definitely not for plot points being tied up on blogs or in special webisodes. Do it in the episode or a future episode. Dang this 'new media'!
                        I'm also not too concerned about the time travel [il]logic. The present/future was changed, remnants from past/alternate timelines remained. That's what we're used to and that's what happened here. It's like trying to explain that Ancient time device that mysteriously only seemed to displace consciousness back through time in 'Window of Opportunity'. We don't care how it worked because the episode was brilliant. It's par for the sci-fi course. Accept and move on.
                        sigpic
                        More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

Originally posted by nx01a View Post
                          I'm also not too concerned about the time travel [il]logic. The present/future was changed, remnants from past/alternate timelines remained. That's what we're used to and that's what happened here. It's like trying to explain that Ancient time device that mysteriously only seemed to displace consciousness back through time in 'Window of Opportunity'. We don't care how it worked because the episode was brilliant. It's par for the sci-fi course. Accept and move on.
                          I'm a big fan of Time travel stories, but I like when the story have some internal logic and doesn't contradict itself. Its bad storytelling. Don't worry its not the case for "Time".
                          Currently watching: Dark Matter, 12 Monkeys, Doctor Who, Under the Dome, The Mentalist, The Messengers, The Last Ship, Elementary, Dominion, The Whispers, Extant, Olympus, Da Vinci's Demons, Vikings

Comment

Originally posted by Mortock42 View Post

So let me get this straight... this episode had none of the stuff you're whining about, so you're going to speculate that future episodes must have the stuff you're whining about so that you don't just have to discuss this one.

...interesting viewpoint, I guess.
                            Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
                            Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

At the end of 'Time', Scott sends the keno through to the past, which he hopes his alternate-timeline friends will find. But what does he do? He has a gun with limited ammo, an enemy that is bound to kill him soon, and a gate remote. In front of him is an open gate which he knows will send him to the past.

Theory: He goes in after the keno. He's now on this planet in the distant past, theories seem to suggest 50-100 years ago based on the skull deterioration. It's daylight (if I remember correctly), but he knows that if he stays around till night he's a dead man. He's got a gate remote. He's clearly got no regard for 'maintaining the timeline' as he's already messed with it several times. There's no solar flare where he is in the past. Either:

1) Scott gates away immediately to any random address that he can get to work...maybe the gate remote even has a database or an auto-dialer? or,

2) Scott waits around for a few hours (since it's daylight) until the Rush from the first timeline comes through. Then they go planet-hopping together.

Some will say the the skull proves that one of them died there in the past. Nope, that was only true after Rush and the keno made their solo trip to the past, with no gun or gate remote. They were dead meat. With Scott going there as well, a new timeline is created where they have a chance.

Any other flaws in this theory? I'm not saying it's true, only that it gives the writers a jumping off point for any future stories about human descendants in this galaxy, without having to involve *other* instances of time-travel. Would be even more interesting if either Rush or Scott was female...

Comment

1. Found the over-reliance on Kino-vision for the first timeline annoying.

2. Eli's Mum having HIV was probably the biggest character moment. Ouch!

3. You'd have thought certain individuals would have been satisfied in seeing Chloe die 'twice'. Apparantly not. For me second time round was my first real hint that something wasn't quite right with this timeline.

4. Having not really bothered with the Kinosodes before I'm surprised that this episode needed one to tidy it up. To an extent it makes a nice change but nothing can be taken for granted in life.

Solid time travel ep generally though.
                                I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

Working...
                                X