Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think alternative timelines occur in one Universe, but there are parallel Universes as well. Basically, I think if a timeline is changed, the events of the original timeline never happened, that "path" doesn't exist anymore, and it never did.

Comment

Sorry, not been looking at this thread, trying to catch up with all the griping about 'Life'

Had a look at the two diagrams, and yes the first is my theory, but I'm not sure about the second. Largely because this indicates that the timelines don't actually split until the moment of sending the kino's back. Which can't really be since at least the events of the prior couple of hours are wildly divergent and actually things are different from the moment the kino arrives in the past. After all, initially in 1960 there was virgin jungle. After the first kino was sent back there was a kino and a body there. Who knows what that changed. Maybe a critter took a bite out of Rush and died which wouldn't have happened if he'd not been there, maybe it lived instead (found food that let it survive).
      Once a change is introduced to a timeline it will cause other changes and the timelines will diverge. It's hard to see that the two timelines will remain stuck together until some later point. What would cause them to diverge then? There's no new input at that point, since it's one timeline why would it suddenly split.
      That sounds more like the 'rewrite' option. You send a kino back in time and time is re-written (like Back to the Future). Which means that there is only 1 timeline, but leads to odd paradoxs like.. where DID that kino come from. After all in the final events there are two kinos that were never made. And in things like 2010 who wrote the note...

Definitely a bit brainfrying.
      Incidentally I made a thread over on the science and tech section seeing how all of Stargate's time-travel eps fit into the theory I used above. They all pretty much work (though 1969 is MUCH more complex than it appeared ) with the exception of Continuum

--Rakhal

Comment

Originally posted by Rakhal View Post
        Sorry, not been looking at this thread, trying to catch up with all the griping about 'Life'

Had a look at the two diagrams, and yes the first is my theory, but I'm not sure about the second. Largely because this indicates that the timelines don't actually split until the moment of sending the kino's back. Which can't really be since at least the events of the prior couple of hours are wildly divergent and actually things are different from the moment the kino arrives in the past. After all, initially in 1960 there was virgin jungle. After the first kino was sent back there was a kino and a body there. Who knows what that changed. Maybe a critter took a bite out of Rush and died which wouldn't have happened if he'd not been there, maybe it lived instead (found food that let it survive).
        Once a change is introduced to a timeline it will cause other changes and the timelines will diverge. It's hard to see that the two timelines will remain stuck together until some later point. What would cause them to diverge then? There's no new input at that point, since it's one timeline why would it suddenly split.
        That sounds more like the 'rewrite' option. You send a kino back in time and time is re-written (like Back to the Future). Which means that there is only 1 timeline, but leads to odd paradoxs like.. where DID that kino come from. After all in the final events there are two kinos that were never made. And in things like 2010 who wrote the note...

Definitely a bit brainfrying.
        Incidentally I made a thread over on the science and tech section seeing how all of Stargate's time-travel eps fit into the theory I used above. They all pretty much work (though 1969 is MUCH more complex than it appeared ) with the exception of Continuum

--Rakhal
        Oh yeah, I have no objections with what you said. I was just pointing out that while your first, initial theory is the best, most likely, best fitting one, certainly what the diverging and all is concerned, there are/is other/another possibility as well.
        A black hole swallowed this sig pic.

Comment

Okie dokie, mates, here's the deal.
          I watched the first three (ish) eps of this show and near about stabbed my eyes out with toothpicks in frustration. Naturally, in worry for my own health, I decided to give up on it.

Then one fateful day (while waiting for the second airing of the brand new "Sanctuary" ep, cos I missed the original airing) I sat through a rerun of this eppy and was forced to lock away all sharp objects.

Don't get me wrong, it was the best I've seen yet from SGU. The writing was superb and when Scott (I think that's his name) wakes up from his coma and realizes everyone's dead...that scream he gives was fantastic--gave me chills upon chills. The ending was epic beyond words as well.

The big problem tptb can't seem to fix is the god-awful slowness of this show. I mean, the stories are superb, but it takes so bloody long to tell them that I actually changed the channel a few times. I felt like Monty Python and the Holy Grail:
          "GET ON WITH IT!"

Besides the dragging pace, the only other thing that annoys me is the character dynamics. Eli is annoying and everyone else is horrifically 2-D. (But this could be because I've missed some good eps in the middle). The only interesting character is still Rush.

In short, this episode is proof that SGU has the potential to be SO FRAKKING GOOD! But it's like they're on the verge of greatness and can't quite cross over.

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgCSl9xgzKw
            9:24

for a moment there, i thought we were in trouble
            https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

So far, this is by far one of my favorite episodes! I haven't watched a whole lot, still only seen a handful. This makes your head spin almost if you think about it to long! I sat and watched that and the end just made my mouth dropped open. That's why I love scifi, it pushes the brain, makes you do a "uhhhh," then ordinary drama shows. I loved Rush saying the line of "for a moment there, etc." and Eli going what was that, seriously? Omg I about died because haha that is how my brain thinks lol.

Anyways this is by far one of the best written stories I've seen for the show so far and I loved it!

Comment

Originally posted by CCA View Post
                So far, this is by far one of my favorite episodes! I haven't watched a whole lot, still only seen a handful. This makes your head spin almost if you think about it to long! I sat and watched that and the end just made my mouth dropped open. That's why I love scifi, it pushes the brain, makes you do a "uhhhh," then ordinary drama shows. I loved Rush saying the line of "for a moment there, etc." and Eli going what was that, seriously? Omg I about died because haha that is how my brain thinks lol.

Anyways this is by far one of the best written stories I've seen for the show so far and I loved it!
                it also was directed well by rob cooper
                https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

SGU - Writer's Guild of Canada - Robert C. Cooper wins for 'Time':

Thanks to a tweet from Will Dixon, Canadian screen writer and friend of Stargate, for the news!

Episodic Hour goes to my old pal Robert Cooper for Stargate U

<<**>><<**>>

2010 WGC Screenwriting Awards

Robert C. Cooper was nominated for Episodic one hour:

Stargate Universe "Time." Written by Robert C. Cooper

also nominated were:

Flashpoint "One Wrong Move." Written by Mark Ellis & Stephanie Morgenstern &
                  James Hurst

ZOS: Zone of Separation "Bred in the Bone." Written by John Krizanc

Cra$h & Burn "Trust." Written by Jackie May

Murdoch Mysteries "Mild Mild West." Written by Derek Schreyer

ZOS: Zone of Separation "Shallow Graves." Written by Jason Sherman

Congratulations to all the nominees!

SG1/SGA/SGU - Saving Earth/Atlantis/?, one mission at a time!
                  SG1-Spoilergate Richard Dean Anderson Fans Abydos Gate Morjana
                  Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

Well, I wish that Greer, Scott, Chloe and Franklin would have really died. Greer:Because he is stupid. Scott:Because he has sex every day. Chloeame as Scott. Franklin:He whines too much!
                    "I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational in order to prove that you care... or why it should be necessary to prove it at all."

Comment

Originally posted by rushy View Post
                      Well, I wish that Greer, Scott, Chloe and Franklin would have really died. Greer:Because he is stupid. Scott:Because he has sex every day. Chloeame as Scott. Franklin:He whines too much!
                      Thier is no proof of that
                      Originally posted by aretood2
                      Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by natyanayaki View Post
                        I think alternative timelines occur in one Universe, but there are parallel Universes as well. Basically, I think if a timeline is changed, the events of the original timeline never happened, that "path" doesn't exist anymore, and it never did.
                        If "that path doesn't exist anymore..." then they're not parallel. However, it is very hard to perceive having multiple to infinite copies of yourself existing but living with different outcomes-- that seems very wasteful. Also, matter can neither be created nor destroyed, only transformed. So where does the extra matter come from to create 2 new kinos?
                        The signature has been destroyed!

Comment

Parallel universes are a separate phenomenon i think. In "Time," I think the theory is since the kinos were sent back in time to before any of the events happened, they were not affected by their original timeline material and matter all ceasing to exist.
                          "First Weir, then Samantha Carter, and now, you! It's a pity you humans die or get reassigned so easily, or I might have a sense of satisfaction now!"

*You got the touch! You got the poweeeeer!*

"Arise, Woolseyus Prime."

"Elizabeth..."

Comment

The ending of this episode was fantastic, I figured they would go to the planet and get the creature and everything would be back to normal. It was an excellent twist to have everything go south again and forcing scott to "re-start" the time-line in order to have another change at a more favourable outcome. The episode was slow at times but the story was interesting and I feel that if more epsiodes were as superb as this one the show would still be on. It was interesting to see how the charcters responded to seeing themselves and the usefulness of Eli using the keyno is now very evident, that was actually a really funny scene.
                            At the moment it is Phobos (though time is limited; it is suppose to crash into Mars in the next 100 million years )

Comment

Time travel episodes always give me a headache, but other than that I loved it... Confusing, huh?
                              sigpic

Comment

Damn, seriously my fave EP up till now!!
                                (so now you know how far I am with watching SGU )

I always love those time-concepts
                                History, Metal & SciFi !

Comment

Working...
                                X