No announcement yet.

Communication stones issues and glitches in Subversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Assuming you can control the vocal chords of the body in which you find yourself well enough to produce intelligible speech, I would think that your normal accent and intonation would be evident.

For example, were a Scottish person to use the communication device and swap consciousness with an American, his brogue would be *very* obvious to anyone who cared to listen to him talk.

Comment

Comm. Z.,

Originally posted by Commander Zelix View Post
      Not really, since the accent is what our mind tell our vocal apparel (lips, tongue, etc) how to move. A german should have a perfect german accent in an American body.
      I believe that's what the OP was saying.
      All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story...

"Scott isn't out. Actually, he'll probably soon get back in, then out, then in, then out, then in, with rhythm and stamina." reddevil 4/22/2010

Comment

Originally posted by Ser Scot A Ellison View Post
        Comm. Z.,

I believe that's what the OP was saying.
        We've been through that already, buddy. Let's move on.
        Currently watching: Dark Matter, 12 Monkeys, Doctor Who, Under the Dome, The Mentalist, The Messengers, The Last Ship, Elementary, Dominion, The Whispers, Extant, Olympus, Da Vinci's Demons, Vikings

Comment

Already discussed in the subversion folder. It's true that for someone using another person body it would be very difficult to impersonate his loaned body voice. After all only a few comedian are good at it. But it still would be a bit easier using the same vocal apparel than the body you want to impersonate is voice. For a simple example, it's easier for a man to impersonate a woman in a woman's body. It would also be easier in general to impersonate Rush's voice in Rush's body. Still, not easy in my opinion. As you accent is only your brain, consciousness, telling your vocal apparel (lips, tongue, vocal cord) how to move relative to each other.
          Currently watching: Dark Matter, 12 Monkeys, Doctor Who, Under the Dome, The Mentalist, The Messengers, The Last Ship, Elementary, Dominion, The Whispers, Extant, Olympus, Da Vinci's Demons, Vikings

Comment

Originally posted by Nitpicker View Post
            For example, were a Scottish person to use the communication device and swap consciousness with an American, his brogue would be *very* obvious to anyone who cared to listen to him talk.
            How do we know that Rush
            Spoiler:
            wasn't putting on an American accent in Subversion? We never heard him speak with Telford's voice.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Lahela View Post
              How do we know that Rush
              Spoiler:
              wasn't putting on an American accent in Subversion? We never heard him speak with Telford's voice.
              He probably tried to have an american accent. But it still hard to impersonate somebody voice in front of someone knowing your loaned body's voice well. For example, there's more to impersonate Obama's voice than simply doing the american accent.

Comment

Comm. Z.,

He probably tried to have an american accent. But it still hard to impersonate somebody voice in front of someone knowing your loaned body's voice well. For example, there's more to impersonate Obama's voice than simply doing the american accent.
                Well, your voice will, obviously, sound like the other person's voice. I agree that the accent is learned. That said if the person in another persons body attempts to do the proper accent it may cover for those who don't know the original person very well. Heck, patterns of speech would be as much a give away as accent. Look how TJ ID'd Telford in "Darkness".
                All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story...

"Scott isn't out. Actually, he'll probably soon get back in, then out, then in, then out, then in, with rhythm and stamina." reddevil 4/22/2010

Comment

Oh, I don't doubt (being a linguist who studied phonetics as part of her Masters) - there is everything to be said for inflection, tone, stress patterns and a whole host of other things being just as vocally defining as accent and intonation. I just replied with what I replied with because the OP only raised accent and intonation as an issue. And it's probably the least of our concerns, given how improbable it is that anyone could instantly impersonate someone else in that situation anyway.
                  Last edited by Lahela; 22 May 2010, 05:42 AM. Reason: Added something
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Lahela View Post
                    Oh, I don't doubt (being a linguist who studied phonetics as part of her Masters) - there is everything to be said for inflection, tone, stress patterns and a whole host of other things being just as vocally defining as accent and intonation.
                    Then you know exactly (more than me in fact) where I'm coming from.

Comment

Then you know exactly (more than me in fact) where I'm coming from.
                      I do indeed know where you're coming from. Didn't mean to come across as argumentative, so apologies if that was the case.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by JustAnotherVoice View Post
                        About Telford beating up Young:

Telford blindsided him for one thing, and Young wasn't out for blood this time. He was there to try to break him mentally, so I would imagine that Young would have deliberatly fought to a standstill, had Greer not opened a can of whoop ass.
                        I haven't seen the episode yet *Canada* but IIRC, Telford is in Rush's body. Isn't it possible that Young didn't want to harm Rush?
                        sigpic

SGU-RELATED FANART | IN YOUNG WE TRUST | FANDUMB

Comment

Originally posted by xxxevilgrinxxx View Post
                          I haven't seen the episode yet *Canada* but IIRC, Telford is in Rush's body. Isn't it possible that Young didn't want to harm Rush?
                          Errrr... no. At least, he didn't seem to have any qualms about hurting Rush's body.
                          sigpic

Comment

How did Rush know Kiva's name?
                            Bless the Maker and all His Water. Bless the coming and going of Him, May His passing cleanse the world. May He keep the world for his people.

Comment

Originally posted by Shai Hulud View Post
                              How did Rush know Kiva's name?
                              The name appears to be no secret to Stargate Command based on what Daniel said and I'd be willing to bet Rush has seen his fair share of classified filies
                              Originally posted by aretood2
                              Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                                The name appears to be no secret to Stargate Command based on what Daniel said and I'd be willing to bet Rush has seen his fair share of classified filies
                                He may also have remembered something else from his dream - he did say earlier that he was piecing things together.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X