No no, DON'T say THAT!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Infinite-Possibilities View Post
    You misunderstood me. Realistically, ANYONE who seriously thinks about the possibility of encountering alien civilizations should be shock if they spoke in perfect English. My point is the fact that he noticed it any nobody else in the the universe (namely SG-1 or the Atlantis Expedition) did, draws attention to the fact that Stargate has a hilariously unrealistic depiction of alien languages. It kind of would have been better if they hadn't mentioned it and just rolled with it.
    I understood perfectly. Just because we never heard Jack or Shepherd say, "Hey, Sam(Rodney), WTF is up with all the aliens speaking English?" Doesn't mean it didn't happen. With SGU we're following these characters that for all we know have never been anywhere off world other than Icarus. No one on SG-1 mentioned that the Asgard didn't wear pants. Then Shepherd mentioned it. Just because no one mentioned it before doesn't mean someone else can't mention it. Yes, it brings attention to the other times it wasn't referenced, but if you were made to stop and say, "Hey! That draws attention to the fact that this is a TV show with a limited amount of time and money each week! Why are these guys special that they can't speak English?" then I doubt you were really enjoying the show to begin with. Obviously I don't know that for sure, but if I'm seeing stuff like that I'm not completely absorbed in the show.

*end rambling message*
    "Goodbye Eli Wallace, you're a good man."
    - imlad, from http://www.readandfindout.com/

Comment

The difference is, the Asgard not wearing pants is hardly a shockingly preposterous notion. If a "Roswell Grey type alien" appeared in front of them, I'd imagine most people first response would not be "Why isn't he wearing pants." It's not exactly an unanswerable question. But if you went to another galaxy and the natives everywhere spoke the language of one people of one planet 3 Million light-years away in another galaxy that they could not have even imagined existed, then the question of "How is that possible?" seems pretty important. If you're going to imagine that such an important question happened off screen, then it probably follows that there is an answer to it.

If you just ignore it and roll with it then it becomes less of an issue. Because you can basically just move on with the story and you don't have to worry about whether or not the characters were perplexed by the blatantly obvious impossibility constantly staring them in the face pretty much every single place they go.

In SGU, explicitly bringing it up means they aren't ignoring it. Which means you do have to wonder how come nobody noticed it.

As for if I'm enjoying the show. Well sort of, yes. What difference does it make, even if I was enjoying more than anything else, it that doesn't mean I am unable to notice if something somewhat jarring happens.
      "First Weir, then Samantha Carter, and now, you! It's a pity you humans die or get reassigned so easily, or I might have a sense of satisfaction now!"

*You got the touch! You got the poweeeeer!*

"Arise, Woolseyus Prime."

"Elizabeth..."

Comment

The Ancients seeded the Milky Way and Pegasus with gates and people. With that said, it is easily believable that all these different planets have inhabitants who use the same or similar languages, both written and spoken, and even as dialects changed, a stargate is effectively like walking through the door, and since for so long the Ancients were dominant on gateholding worlds in both galaxies, the dialects can easily catch on, on multiple worlds.

For all of you that are complaining about ALL aliens speaking English, think of the Gadmeer, remember them? They had no similarities to humans in any way whatsoever(except for being bipedal). We sometimes forget there are still possibly thousands of worlds in our galaxy alone with no stargate. Not alot of chance you find human inhabitants on those worlds unless they went there to hide, like the Enkarrans or the Reole( the Reole are also quite different from humans).

I am curious though, the Altairans spoke english in the beginning of Ark of Truth, it's like a 5 minute segment, why could'nt they make up a spoken language and shove in subtitles for a more authentic presentation of the "Original" Altairans from that galaxy, just a thought.
        E.D.E.N.

Comment

Working...
        X