No announcement yet.

No no, DON'T say THAT!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

so what your saying is you want to waste time each episode by having them learn and translate all the time...or maybe just have subtitles every episodes....

Comment

Me?
      I could care less what language they speak so long as I know what they be saying...
      And would not have watched it if it was damn subtitles, I think they chose a good course to take.
      Cept the Abydos guys had to learn to speak English uhmmm lol

Comment

"English" was spread around the Milky Way and Pegasus by the Ancients, that's why everyone spoke it in the other show. Since the Ancients were never seeding life in the galaxy the Destiny is currently in, the aliens needed a human subject to extract the language from.
        Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
        Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

Originally posted by escyos View Post
          so what your saying is you want to waste time each episode by having them learn and translate all the time...or maybe just have subtitles every episodes....
          Are you talking to me? Where in my post did I say that? What I said was that people should just accept it and move on without dwellng on how preposterous it is. Having Scott and Eli mention it in a serious scene just draws attention to an obvious by necessary plothole in the shows.
          "First Weir, then Samantha Carter, and now, you! It's a pity you humans die or get reassigned so easily, or I might have a sense of satisfaction now!"

*You got the touch! You got the poweeeeer!*

"Arise, Woolseyus Prime."

"Elizabeth..."

Comment

Originally posted by carmencatalina View Post
            I don't think the point is that it is unbelievable that the blue aliens used English (as you say, they probed Rush's mind) - the point is that all the other aliens we've met have spoken English without explanation.
            , and...
            Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
            I think the line was possibly an intentional mick take of the other shows....to be honest I don't blame them either. Yeah the whole thing of every alien species speaking English is stupid and it's the writers own fault, but then again it's just another one of those things the fans pick up on again and again so this was the writers poking fun at the fact.
            I can't blame them for doing that either; it always seems off to me (and clearly not just me) when lo and behold, they all speak English! I'm pleased that sgu is making that distinction

Originally posted by Pharaoh Atem View Post
            besides it was just one word. the aliens didn't exactly speak it.
            nope, a word on a screen and I think the word was given up by Rush
            sigpic

SGU-RELATED FANART | IN YOUNG WE TRUST | FANDUMB

Comment

Originally posted by s09119 View Post
              "English" was spread around the Milky Way and Pegasus by the Ancients, that's why everyone spoke it in the other show. Since the Ancients were never seeding life in the galaxy the Destiny is currently in, the aliens needed a human subject to extract the language from.
              Which is really funny because the perfect English all the "aliens" speak isn't older than a hundred years, and Ancient was supposed to be similar to medieval Latin with a different writing system.
              Carter: "The singularity is about to explode!"

Comment

Originally posted by Infinite-Possibilities View Post
                When Eli was talking about the communication from the other ship Young and Scott said "They answered in English?" "How the hell is that possible?!"

That may be a reasonable thing to say in such a situation, but in the context of the Stargate shows it seems silly because it draws attention to the fact that everyone else, that shouldn't be able to, can speak perfect English.

I know the show is supposed to be more realistic but it kinda draws attention to the franchise's bigger logic flaws. One that is probably best to just accept with suspension of disbelief and move on. No explanation could ever provide a reason for such an absurd aspect of SG-1 and SG-A but it's just an unavoidable part of them. I believe it's better not to think about that aspect too much. The irony is the scene probably wouldn't have drawn any notice if hey hadn't drawn attention to it by mentioning it. In fact, "humanoid aliens from 12 bazillion light-years away communicating English through text even though they've probably never seen humans before", is no more and perhaps even less ridiculous than "other humans beings from say, 40 light-years away speaking perfect English for generations having never even heard of Earth before, for an example."

If you've never heard of Earth before other than possibly the name in the vaguest of legends, then it doesn't matter if you live 1 or 5 million lightyears away, it makes no sense to speak the language of a one small percentage of it's populace.

It's kind of creating a bit of a continuity issue that Eli, Scott and Young noticed this rather unbelievable fact of alien contact, but nobody else in the entire universe seemed to despite the fact that they encountered it virtually everywhere int he universe they went ever. Unless they're going with the idea that SGU is a somehow reboot or something and the other shows never actually happened.
                To be honest, I think everyone takes the whole thing too literally. On screen we have to see them speak English, think about Willing Suspension of Disbelief. But in reality within the SGverse every world speaks a none English language, be it native, Goa'uld, Asgard language, Ancient, and so on.

It is just conveniently ignored for plot. However since SGU has the luxury of not meeting so many aliens, they don't have to use that convenience. Thus off screen reality meets on screen reality....am I making any sense?
                By Nolamom
                sigpic

Comment

If only they had introduced some explanation for the english-mystery in one of the first SG-1 seasons, then we wouldn't have had this problem.

"a galaxy wide brain virus, no more harmfull that a mild flue, but will remain in the brains and ( semi-selectively ) help in subconsious translation of alien languages. This virus reproduces and the languages it knows are genetically transferred to the reproduced virusses, spreading the ability to translate subconsiously to humanoids throughout our own, the pegasus and the ori galaxy."

Something like that

Let's just assume that every (alien) language eventually evolves into modern day english. Apparently modern english is the perfect language and the final destination of every evolving language

Having the main characters of a show learn an alien language every single time they go to a planet will get really old really fast. People are already nagging certain scenes could be cut down, and more time should be devoted to other scenes etc. , imagine if 5 - 10 minutes of every show was used for learning the language and half the dialogue went like "kshi kata Oz, kata.... erhm..."what's the word for 'wizard' again?"

Personally I just accept the fact that most aliens in pegasus, ori galaxy, Ida and the milky way speak english but they don't in galaxies beyond.

Comment

Originally posted by The Destiny View Post
                    "a galaxy wide brain virus, no more harmfull that a mild flue, but will remain in the brains and ( semi-selectively ) help in subconsious translation of alien languages. This virus reproduces and the languages it knows are genetically transferred to the reproduced virusses, spreading the ability to translate subconsiously to humanoids throughout our own, the pegasus and the ori galaxy."
                    Farscape did that - translator microbes. Great show

Comment

Yeah, I thought Farscape had one of the best explanations for the language barrier in sci-fi. Except for the fact that they weren't able to be consistent with it.
                      "First Weir, then Samantha Carter, and now, you! It's a pity you humans die or get reassigned so easily, or I might have a sense of satisfaction now!"

"Elizabeth..."

Comment

Maybe Rush was conscious and complicit. He could have read and sent the message back himself. We know he's lied about stuff before. Maybe Rush wants the Destiny and convinced to aliens to help him. So, the aliens let Rush trick Young and the others into thinking he was "captured", when in fact, he was in cahoots with the aliens all along and still is.

***cue twilight zone music****

Comment

Yeah, if the aliens were going to study Rush why implant a long range tracking device ? It's clear that they intended to return him at some point to keep tabs on Destiny. He could have been in on the whole plan.

Comment

Or safety measure, just in case.

Or it really was their plan, and they intended to return him to destiny eventually because they feared their other transmitter would be destroyed, and maybe Rush actually escaped before they planned to return him.

Comment

Originally posted by Infinite-Possibilities View Post
                              When Eli was talking about the communication from the other ship Young and Scott said "They answered in English?" "How the hell is that possible?!"

That may be a reasonable thing to say in such a situation, but in the context of the Stargate shows it seems silly because it draws attention to the fact that everyone else, that shouldn't be able to, can speak perfect English.

It's kind of creating a bit of a continuity issue that Eli, Scott and Young noticed this rather unbelievable fact of alien contact, but nobody else in the entire universe seemed to despite the fact that they encountered it virtually everywhere int he universe they went ever. Unless they're going with the idea that SGU is a somehow reboot or something and the other shows never actually happened.
                              How many alien cultures have either Eil or Scott seen? Eli was abducted from Earth and was sent immediately to Icarus and Scott said he wasn't part of the SGC long before he was sent there also. So why is it so unbelievable that they would expect aliens to speak something other than English? I've watched Stargate since it came to Sci-Fi and if an alien were to be standing in front of me and spoke to me in English I'd be crapping my pants. Especially if it was EXTREMELY obvious that it was an alien. Very few things scream, "ALIEN!" like a spaceship dropping out of FTL and saying, "Surrender."
                              "Goodbye Eli Wallace, you're a good man."
                              - imlad, from http://www.readandfindout.com/

Comment

Originally posted by J-Whitt Remastered View Post
                                How many alien cultures have either Eil or Scott seen? Eli was abducted from Earth and was sent immediately to Icarus and Scott said he wasn't part of the SGC long before he was sent there also. So why is it so unbelievable that they would expect aliens to speak something other than English? I've watched Stargate since it came to Sci-Fi and if an alien were to be standing in front of me and spoke to me in English I'd be crapping my pants. Especially if it was EXTREMELY obvious that it was an alien. Very few things scream, "ALIEN!" like a spaceship dropping out of FTL and saying, "Surrender."
                                You misunderstood me. Realistically, ANYONE who seriously thinks about the possibility of encountering alien civilizations should be shock if they spoke in perfect English. My point is the fact that he noticed it any nobody else in the the universe (namely SG-1 or the Atlantis Expedition) did, draws attention to the fact that Stargate has a hilariously unrealistic depiction of alien languages. It kind of would have been better if they hadn't mentioned it and just rolled with it.

"Elizabeth..."

Comment

Working...
                                X