Chloe: I have no idea why I'm here!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Briangate78 View Post
    BTW, Chloe did get some huge development in this episode!
    The phrase "I have no idea why I'm here!" implies that the writers have something in mind related to Chloe's role. We can be patient with that.

Unfortunately the "huge development" that she got during this episode does not seem to be going into an interesting direction. In "Space" she just demonstrated some insane curiosity .

She is becoming some kind of "princess in need to be saved" that is involved with the protecting warrior. A boring cliché ...

In fact, what bothers me the most with her as character is her appearance. The outfits and the make-up are too fresh and don't match the situation : I'm referring to the lack of shopping centers onboard of Destiny. It would be interesting to review all the episodes and count how many distinct clothes she wore so far. I bet that she did carry a few very large bags during the evacuation to Destiny ....
    Last edited by HyperspaceDaemon; 05 April 2010, 12:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
      Pretty much.

Negative. There was a noise. Chloe didn't realize what it really was until it was too late.

Things are easy to figure out in hindsight.
      I'm not going to make those kinda excuses, that how they wrote her (stupid) and that is now the character method.
      I don't think twice about it because the difference between the stupid and the intelligent is foresight. Everyone has Hindsight.

Comment

Originally posted by HyperspaceDaemon View Post
        The phrase "I have no idea why I'm here!" implies that the writers have something in mind related to Chloe's role. We can be patient with that.

Unfortunately the "huge development" that she got during this episode does not seem to be going into an interesting direction. In "Space" she just demonstrated some insane curiosity .

She is becoming some kind of "princess in need to be saved" that is involved with the protecting warrior. A boring cliché ...

In fact, what bothers me the most with her as character is her appearance. The outfits and the make-up are too fresh and don't match the situation : I'm referring to the lack of shopping centers onboard of Destiny. It would be interesting to review all the episodes and count how many distinct clothes she wore so far. I bet that she did carry a few very large bags during the evacuation to Destiny ....
        Spoiler:
        She likes Rush now. Because he is her hewo, not Scott. Wait till you see the deicision she makes in "Divided"

That to me is character change, or hence development.
        sigpic

Comment

Normally she should indeed change a bit after this experience.
          After being abducted once by aliens anyone should become more careful in the future ...

Comment

Originally posted by HyperspaceDaemon View Post
            Normally she should indeed change a bit after this experience.
            After being abducted once by aliens anyone should become more careful in the future ...
            At least we can be sure she will.

Spoiler:
            ...until she takes a bath in the lake with the alien sharks.
            Currently watching: Dark Matter, 12 Monkeys, Doctor Who, Under the Dome, The Mentalist, The Messengers, The Last Ship, Elementary, Dominion, The Whispers, Extant, Olympus, Da Vinci's Demons, Vikings

Comment

Spoiler:
              She likes Rush now. Because he is her hewo, not Scott. Wait till you see the deicision she makes in "Divided"

Thats a pretty big inferrence. I don't think thier is any evidence that her opinion of Rush has changed since the events of Space
              Originally posted by aretood2
              Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by FallenAngelII View Post
                I'm tired of people pulling up JM's blog of "What could have been". We work with what we have.
                Cut the attitude, would you? I merely posted that as some background info; if you don't want to use it, don't. Geez.

Finally you see the light.
                Wow. Ok. Congratulations! You bested me in some Internet argument.

I bet you're pretty happy now, aren't you?

Comment

You're blatantly ignoring the facts and I'm tired of having to reiterate them:
                  You're not reiterating facts. You're speculating wildly on what is basically just a hypothetical scenario.

Chloe knew what was going on. She saw hostile ships shooting at the Destiny through her window. Most marginally intelligent people would assume that any suspicious situations, such as someone cutting a hole in the ceiling of the ship, would be linked to the alien attack!
                  How on Earth could you possibly know that? Have you ever even been in a remotely dangerous situation yourself? People don't think straight, especially those who're not trained to be in those type of situations. It's easy to sit at your computer and say "Oh yeah I'd have figured out what was going on and got away", but real life isn't like that. She'd have been confused, scared, and probably had a million things running through her head, I very much doubt that many people would have acted in a calm, rational way under those circumstances.

She apparently studied Political Science and was so good at it Young thought she'd make a good lawyer for him in his time of need. She's supposed to be a not-idiot.
                  You think that intelligent people never do stupid things? And besides, being clever, and having the ability to think on your feet are two very different things.
                  Last edited by KEK; 05 April 2010, 02:26 PM.

Comment

well actually, everyones basic instinct when facing something scary and/or dangerous is to run away. That's natural selection: you can't fight and you don't run? You die.

Comment

Originally posted by KEK View Post
                      ....I very much doubt that many people would have acted in a calm, rational way under those circumstances..
                      I don't think you have to be acting calmly or rationally to run away when you see aliens boarding, I just think it was poor writing and the result is that people see Chloe as stupid, maybe that was their intention but most likely it wasn't.

The main reason they didn't show Chloe running/hiding was probably to save the budget by avoiding another CGI alien scene where they force her onto the ship but I think they could have accomplished the same by cutting away as soon as Chloe heard them cutting.

Comment

Originally posted by Sami_ View Post
                        I don't think you have to be acting calmly or rationally to run away when you see aliens boarding, I just think it was poor writing and the result is that people see Chloe as stupid, maybe that was their intention but most likely it wasn't.

The main reason they didn't show Chloe running/hiding was probably to save the budget by avoiding another CGI alien scene where they force her onto the ship but I think they could have accomplished the same by cutting away as soon as Chloe heard them cutting.
                        Actually, that was the reason exactly. After seeing the reaction of this scene by a lot of fans, I suppose I'd have to agree that the writers could have done a better job doing this. They definitely don't do Chloe any favors, and for a decent section of fandom that is eager and waiting to rip her character apart...the results can be pretty rough.

Oh well, I still like her. And cast and producer interviews have me looking forward to the fallout of her kidnapping. Things might just get interesting with regards to her character.
                        Sig by Pandora's Box
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by CnQuiZ View Post
                          well actually, everyones basic instinct when facing something scary and/or dangerous is to run away. That's natural selection: you can't fight and you don't run? You die.
                          You know thats not true. If you heard a sound in the kitchen, you don't stay hidden in your room. You go investigate. The only thing that make Chloe's action stupid is that she knew there was an alien attack on the ship with Alien vessels moving toward the Destiny. If it was not the case, it would have been completely acceptable for her to go investigate "something" happening to the ceiling.
                          Currently watching: Dark Matter, 12 Monkeys, Doctor Who, Under the Dome, The Mentalist, The Messengers, The Last Ship, Elementary, Dominion, The Whispers, Extant, Olympus, Da Vinci's Demons, Vikings

Comment

Originally posted by Sami_ View Post
                            You don't need to be afraid of aliens or even know they are on their way to be smart enough to not walk under a structure that just dropped about a ton of hot metal 10 feet or so away from you. The soldier waving you off, also a dead give away.

This is how we end up with ridiculous warning labels on everything. Warning, falling parts of the ship may be dangerous. Use caution. I will forgive the writers 5 teen-like drama cringe moments if a sign like that appears in a future episode.

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                              Stuff.
                              Chloe hears something, she wanders into the hall, she sees the red ring, sees a piece of a ceiling fall down, realizes, like anyone of marginal intelligence, something is wrong, turns and runs. Then, further down the hall Red Shirt Soldier #214 (the same one as in the episode) hears Chloe scream. He runs towards the source of the sound and sees Chloe being pulled feet-first into the hole (half her body already pulled through when he rounds the corner) and is helpless to help since he's too late. He then has to grab onto something so that he isn't sucked into the hole as well.

Then the shield seals itself over the hole and the episode carries on just as it did. There. It wasn't that hard to come up with.

Originally posted by BobG View Post
                              I have to concur with this. Otherwise we may as well say that Jack O'Neill didn't really have a sense of humour, McKay wasn't really condescending and Anubis wasn't really evil, they were all just written that way. Saying that a character behaved stupidly isn't bashing anyone.
                              Also, this. Dear Madam Moderator, what constitutes character bashing even though it's true? Is it bashing if someone calls Rodney conceited, selfish or condescending? Is it bashing if someone calls a character evil? Is it bashing if someone says a character lacks a sense of humor?

Because if a character is written in a certain way, then that's what they are. And it's not really bashing if we discuss those very character flaws they so obviously possess.

BTW, Chloe did get some huge development in this episode!
                              Wait... what? What "huge" development? A suicidal case of curiosity? A lack of common sense?

Spoiler:

We never had any indication of that
                              Spoiler:
                              she didn't like him before this
                              . Also, that's not "huge". That's just one thing. And we didn't even get to see it in this episode.

What we saw was things that set up her future development.

Originally posted by KEK View Post
                              Stuff.
                              Almost every single species of animal in the world has something called the "Fight or Flight" instinct. When in a situation which an animal recognizes as dangerous (even sub-consciously), their bodies will automatically be pumped full of adrenaline and they will automatically flee whenever they sense danger. Chloe knew that they were currently engaged in a space battle with aliens.

Thus, her body would already be full of adrenaline and her brain would be working "faster" than usual. And once she saw the suspicious activity, she should've recognized it as further danger and thus automatically fled, especially since the soldier blatantly signaled to her in a way indicating an impending firearms battle.

Originally posted by Commander Zelix View Post
                              You know thats not true. If you heard a sound in the kitchen, you don't stay hidden in your room. You go investigate. The only thing that make Chloe's action stupid is that she knew there was an alien attack on the ship with Alien vessels moving toward the Destiny. If it was not the case, it would have been completely acceptable for her to go investigate "something" happening to the ceiling.
                              If it's in the middle of the night, you usually arm yourself. You don't walk around daintily and stare into nothing and just wait to be attacked by intruders.
                              Last edited by FallenAngelII; 06 April 2010, 03:26 AM.

Comment

Almost every single species of animal in the world has something called the "Fight or Flight" instinct. When in a situation which an animal recognizes as dangerous (even sub-consciously), their bodies will automatically be pumped full of adrenaline and they will automatically flee whenever they sense danger. Chloe knew that they were currently engaged in a space battle with aliens.

Thus, her body would already be full of adrenaline and her brain would be working "faster" than usual. And once she saw the suspicious activity, she should've recognized it as further danger and thus automatically fled, especially since the soldier blatantly signaled to her in a way indicating an impending firearms battle.
                                *Sigh*

Why have you completely ignored what I told you in a previous post? Once your body is pumped with adrenaline it will either release dopamine triggering the fight or flight response, or it will release serotonin, which makes you stop, it's the reason animals freeze in car headlights. Also, having your brain work faster doesn't make you think any clearer, I've been in a 90mph car crash and a million things went through my mind in the time between the driver losing control and us hitting the railing - none of it helpful.

Comment

Working...
                                X