Chloe: I have no idea why I'm here!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
    Good to know. It was the worst sequence in an otherwise good episode.
    Currently watching: Dark Matter, 12 Monkeys, Doctor Who, Under the Dome, The Mentalist, The Messengers, The Last Ship, Elementary, Dominion, The Whispers, Extant, Olympus, Da Vinci's Demons, Vikings

Comment

I don't have the episode with me, so I can't check; but I distinctly remember that Chloe didn't so much walk towards the hole as being dumbfounded by its appearance (the part of the ceiling fell when she was there already). She may have leaned in a bit to check it out - like Coronach said, it was more like irrational curiosity, which I completely understand.
      she was playing the viewer.
      https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Yeah, now that I...have the episode again, I'm gonna take back my assertion that there wasn't enough time for Chloe to react; she had plenty of time to run away.

I guess it's back to good ole' human cat-killing curiosity then. *shrug*

Comment

Chloe's reason for being there's obvious in this episode [in total reversal to 'Justice']: damsel in distress. Hey, at least she got probed by aliens.
          Seeing the ship land should have brought an immediate 'run from room to find someone and report it'. Seeing a piece of the ceiling fall should have brought an immediate 'run from that area and find someone else and report it'. Silly Lois Lane wannabe. And she almost had her man flying off to save her.
          sigpic
          More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

I am reminded of original Stargate movie when Ra landed on Earth and everyone is running away except one person. This guy decides to walk towards the light emanating from Ra's ship, then he is taken as Ra's host. See, such curiosity/stupidity that Chloe demonstrated has precedents in the Stargate universe.
            Ubi solitudinem faciunt, pacem appellant.

Comment

Originally posted by Avenger View Post
              That's real easy to say from the comfort of your computer. In the real world, people can be completely oblivious to danger. I've seen it numerous times in my line of work where people get focused on one thing while having no clue that they are in a really dangerous situation.
              How did Chloe not realize she was in danger? She saw the space battle for crying out loud. Anything suspicious at all, like, oh, someone obviously drilling their way into the ship (what else could that red ring have been) would signal danger in a combat situation like that.

I'm tired of people pulling up JM's blog of "What could have been". We work with what we have.

Yeah, now that I...have the episode again, I'm gonna take back my assertion that there wasn't enough time for Chloe to react; she had plenty of time to run away.

I guess it's back to good ole' human cat-killing curiosity then. *shrug*
              Finally you see the light.

Originally posted by AsuranCylon View Post
              I am reminded of original Stargate movie when Ra landed on Earth and everyone is running away except one person. This guy decides to walk towards the light emanating from Ra's ship, then he is taken as Ra's host. See, such curiosity/stupidity that Chloe demonstrated has precedents in the Stargate universe.
              In Chloe's non-defense, that boy lived 10,000 years ago... in a primitive village. He'd presumably never seen spaceships, aliens or anything like that before. So couldn't have known what was happening if he so guessed. Chloe lives in the year 2009/2010, knows all about aliens, spaceships, space battles and combat situations (seeing as how she was in one).

Comment

Everyone is being overly critical here. She just let her curiosity get the best of her.

What if she managed to talk to the aliens and gained their trust - and in turn saving Destiny ? Someone else also pointed out that she was drawing the attention of whatever was coming in and giving the soldier near her a clear shot. If the soldier got close, got garbed and the aliens on the ship came inside she would have no way to stop them. At least this way there was a chance such an invasion could be stopped. If she can't fight them she can at least distract their attention. To me it seemed more like a mixture of curiosity and bravery (although misguided). She put herself at risk so others wouldn't have to.

Part of her role is also portraying the viewer - so curiosity is something she must have if we can learn what's going on through her perspective. Anyone here would be just as useless on the ship.

SG1 put themselves in similar dangers every time they went on missions, actually every time they stepped through the gate. O'Neill for example and Ancient Repository of Knowledge. It's easy to point fingers in retrospect as unrelated parties - if it had worked out for the best we'd all be discussing how brave and heroic she was. Like SG1, O'Neill, Atlantis expedition, etc.
                Carter: "The singularity is about to explode!"

Comment

Originally posted by FallenAngelII View Post
                  Why doesn't Chloe have something to do on the expedition yet? Before, it seemed like they tried to shoe-horn her in into a lot of situations for which she was unqualified. Then, all of a sudden, in "Space", she was just there taking up space. She didn't really do anything except each a not-tomato and get kidnapped.

Which was stupid to begin with. Who walks towards the alien combatants when they're infiltrating the ship?! You sound the alarm and let the armed men shoot them! You don't walk towards the hole they just drilled through the ship so they can kill/kidnap you!

Seriously, that girl lacks common sense.

Whenever we see her, she's never actually doing any work. Since the expedition is small to begin with and they keep losing crew members, shouldn't every crew member be put up for some tasks? Can't they have her work in the kitchen? Or maybe help with the hydroponics garden (nothing major)? Isn't she supposed to be trying to find her place on the expedition (that line was even included in the "Previously on..." flashback segment, yet all she did this episode was be the Damsel in Distress... so that's her place?)?
                  This is why I'm thinking the show won't last longer than 4 seasons. Not because of the quality but I don't know how long this story line can hold up.
                  It's very short term as far as life spans go. there was no preamble on this show...I don't know if they were trying to make a splash with these characters but you would think there would be a purpose at this point.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike. View Post
                    Everyone is being overly critical here. She just let her curiosity get the best of her.
                    Yes yes yes yes yes yes and YES.

Chloe's the normal gal right now. She is the non-essential personnel that would be confined to quarters during an attack at the moment. Her roles were partly viewer sympathies (Air), followed by the grounding of Eli and Scott by her relationships with them (In Darkness, Light, Earth, Life and Time). Then she had a nice moment in Justice. Here in Space, she got curious, and now she may be changed for good - PTSD turned soldier!Chloe? Alien encounter leaves something in her head that makes her help with her next encounter?

Yeah, she may be a little on the useless side, but I'd keep her around. There's nothing better than watching a character grow into something special. Normal gal turned political schemer? Normal gal turned host for alien parasite? Normal girl turned negotiator with alien races because of her Harvard Political Science background? Normal gal killed off to further develop of other characters?

While I hope the latter isn't how things go, I'll advise WAIT with a side of SEE, topped off with a GET OVER IT FOR THE MOMENT sauce.
                    ~ When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take back the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN! ~

~ Burning people! He says what we're all thinking! ~

Comment

She heard a noise and went to investigate, a hole randomly appeared in the ceiling and she looked up through it. It's easy for the audience to say she was an idiot because we've just seen an alien ship latch on to the hull, but I think she acted in much the same way most people would. There would be no reason for her to assume that the hole was made by aliens about to abduct her, she would have had no idea what was going on. I sign of naivety yes, but I think calling it stupidity is going a bit far.

Comment

Chloe is as stupid as the plot needs her to be. Someone needed to be kidnapped and held hostage to keep the plot going, having her wander up to the hole and get sucked out....fastest and easiest and likely cheapest way to get her off the ship and into jeopardy.

We gotta remember, anyone in jeopardy will likely be someone in the opening credits, there's only so many of them, so a limited pool to draw from.

Joe's blog has revealed that there was something a bit less 'stupid character' planned but got scrapped, which happens.

This is really no different from Cameron or Daniel - who should both know better - just HAVING to touch something to set off the alien device that they spend the rest of the episode having to undo.

Sometimes characters do stupid things to make a plot work.

Now, as a mod here...there hasnt' been much dabbling into character bashing, but some posts have been close. Lets please remember that you can discuss chloe's ACTIONS all you want, but you can't bash the character.
                        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

What if she managed to talk to the aliens and gained their trust - and in turn saving Destiny ?
                          Seriously, what? They were attacking the Destiny. You really think they were interested in talking? Or that Chloe thought they were interested in talking?

Someone else also pointed out that she was drawing the attention of whatever was coming in and giving the soldier near her a clear shot.
                          No she wasn't. As you said, curiosity got the best of her.

If the soldier got close, got garbed and the aliens on the ship came inside she would have no way to stop them.
                          If she's in the fray, the soldier will have a harder time hitting the aliens without risking hitting her. She should've just stayed back and let the soldier have a clear shot.

Part of her role is also portraying the viewer - so curiosity is something she must have if we can learn what's going on through her perspective. Anyone here would be just as useless on the ship.
                          Potato, potato. You call it curiosity, I call it naivete, stupidity and lack of a sense of self-preservation... fueled by curiosity.

SG1 put themselves in similar dangers every time they went on missions, actually every time they stepped through the gate.
                          They were trained soldiers (or in Daniel's case, a trained civilian)... with weapons.

O'Neill for example and Ancient Repository of Knowledge.
                          You cannot be seriously comparing the two situations.

Originally posted by KEK View Post
                          She heard a noise and went to investigate, a hole randomly appeared in the ceiling and she looked up through it. It's easy for the audience to say she was an idiot because we've just seen an alien ship latch on to the hull, but I think she acted in much the same way most people would. There would be no reason for her to assume that the hole was made by aliens about to abduct her, she would have had no idea what was going on. I sign of naivety yes, but I think calling it stupidity is going a bit far.
                          Yah. She just saw hostile ships attack the Destiny from out of her own window! Then she saw something obviously drilling a hole in the ship. Gee... I wonder what that could've been. The Ancients returning to help save the day? Daniel Jackson Ascended for a 3rd time coming to whisk sexy!Scott away? Or, like most rational people would assume, aliens trying to infiltrate the ship?

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                          Chloe is as stupid as the plot needs her to be. Someone needed to be kidnapped and held hostage to keep the plot going, having her wander up to the hole and get sucked out....fastest and easiest and likely cheapest way to get her off the ship and into jeopardy.
                          The problem is that I thought we were past this now that half the season had passed. At least they should refrain from having her or anyone else do anything blatantly stupid.

This is really no different from Cameron or Daniel - who should both know better - just HAVING to touch something to set off the alien device that they spend the rest of the episode having to undo.
                          As stupid as some of those moments were, at least they served a purpose. They were investigating Ancient (most of the time) technology. They were there in order to find ways to help Earth combat the Big Bad of the season.

What the fig was Chloe expecting to accomplish by looking into the hole?

Comment

What the fig was Chloe expecting to accomplish by looking into the hole?
                            getting kidnapped so there'd be another 20 minutes of the show.

seriously, the hole she fell into was a plot hole created by sloppy writing and a cut budget eliminating the original plan for her to be sucked up by decompression.

I know it was stupid, i know it was bad, but it's the same as Pete being tagged a stalker because he found sam's stakeout, he fell in the plot hole of the lazy writing of them neglecting to explain how he got there, so fans drew their own conclusions.

I'm not defending her, per se, but I am saying 'she's not necessarily stupid, she was just written that way'
                            Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

seriously, the hole she fell into was a plot hole created by sloppy writing and a cut budget eliminating the original plan for her to be sucked up by decompression.

I know it was stupid, i know it was bad, but it's the same as Pete being tagged a stalker because he found sam's stakeout, he fell in the plot hole of the lazy writing of them neglecting to explain how he got there, so fans drew their own conclusions.

I'm not defending her, per se, but I am saying 'she's not necessarily stupid, she was just written that way'
                              you make a fair point but we have to judge a character on how they are written because there is nothing else for us to go on really.
                              sigpic
                              The best written female character on trek ever.

Comment

Sloppy Writing on SGU? Say it ain't so. I thought SGU was supposed to solve those flaws SG-1 and SGA had.

It did not bother me as much. I liked seeing Rush and Young on the alien ship and him freeing Rush. At least you had that feeling of conflinct when Young sees Rush in the tank. Young is likely thinking do I leave him or do I free him to make up for what I did. By making that choice to free Rush he saved Chloe in the process. So that had substance and meaning. Chloe was just like oh look a pretty light! I can see people screaming at the TV " No Chloe don't go into the light"

Chloe could of been anyone and it would not have made a difference. Don't want to say she was useless but I believe time is running out on Chloe to become more um whats the phrase, put to good use? Sadly Greer is being sidelined and becoming that Ronon/Teal'c factor. But again, this is Stargate and we will always have this, imo.

BTW, Chloe did get some huge development in this episode!
                                Last edited by Briangate78; 05 April 2010, 07:09 AM.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X