The Aliens

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Albeno View Post
    Am I the only person here that's disappointed with the aliens?

How the crappity crap are they humanoids?! They evolved on the other side of the universe and they have four limbs, a head and two eyes...just like us. BORING.
    We can always go back to rubber-faced aliens...

There are no regrets. Thank you Brad Wright and everyone else for SGU,
    and the amazing Stargate franchise in general.

Comment

Originally posted by Orion Antreas View Post
      We can always go back to rubber-faced aliens...
      Ugh. No, thank you.
      sigpic

Comment

I think this quote from an article about life on other planets sums it up best:

Would a Venus man look vaguely like a human? “Why not?” counters Mr. Campbell. “After all, the human form on Earth represents two billion years of experimental engineering on the part of nature. It is the best possible form to do the things it has to. There is every reason to suppose that life on Venus, or on any other planet, if it has developed to a high level, has taken human form. But this form would have to conform to the specific conditions of the planet.

Comment

It appears that the bipedal humanoid form of life is superior.
          At least in science fiction.

I loved the Aliens, and I though the outside of their ships looked pretty cool, intimidating.
          I don't think the inside of a ship has to resemble the race that build it in some form, like wet insectoid aliens getting a wet hive-like organic ship, or curves and lines that look like the alien race. Human ships don't have rounded forms, and aren't pinkish and fleshy either.

Comment

I think their ships kind of look like them in shape and form though. Look at the front of the ship. It looked like their head with eyes and a mouth. Their little fighters could be a larvae form of the ship.

Comment

Originally posted by The Destiny View Post
              It appears that the bipedal humanoid form of life is superior.
              At least in science fiction.

I loved the Aliens, and I though the outside of their ships looked pretty cool, intimidating.
              I don't think the inside of a ship has to resemble the race that build it in some form, like wet insectoid aliens getting a wet hive-like organic ship, or curves and lines that look like the alien race. Human ships don't have rounded forms, and aren't pinkish and fleshy either.
              Totally agree - they have to be something we can conceivably interact with to make the suspension of disbelief possible. Look at the razor blade aliens in Air/Water - they took on human faces for TJ and Scott, which let us know that the characters were interacting with them on some level. These guys are very definitely alien, but not so far out of our realm of existence that we can't have some kind of meaningful interaction with them.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Lahela View Post
                Totally agree - they have to be something we can conceivably interact with to make the suspension of disbelief possible. Look at the razor blade aliens in Air/Water - they took on human faces for TJ and Scott, which let us know that the characters were interacting with them on some level. These guys are very definitely alien, but not so far out of our realm of existence that we can't have some kind of meaningful interaction with them.
                I actually agree. While there's absolutely no reason to believe intelligent creatures on other planets would be humanoid in form, I think it's just something that you kind of have to deal with by virtue of where we're at as a species (i.e. very limited space travel in real life) as well as our pretty limited imaginations in this regard
                Sig by Pandora's Box
                sigpic

Comment

Smurfs, lol plain and simple.

They don't seem too advanced. I mean no transport technology, their weapons weren't overbearing on Destiny's defenses. Their Smurfpods were one shot kills for the shuttle and Destiny weapons.
                  Physically they are weak, however violent. I'm gonna make a prediction that they have unusual powers of the mind. Due to the link with the communication stones and lack of physical prowess.
                  sigpic

Comment

I wish the A-Plot of the episode would have been Rush and his interaction with the aliens, beginning with the moment he was poking around the alien shuttle from Justice. Possibly with Chloe joining him later on or in the next episode. While the B-Plot would have been the crew's bickering (which doesn't interest me as much).
                    Currently watching: Dark Matter, 12 Monkeys, Doctor Who, Under the Dome, The Mentalist, The Messengers, The Last Ship, Elementary, Dominion, The Whispers, Extant, Olympus, Da Vinci's Demons, Vikings

Comment

Seriously can I just say that if you're going to use an alien with legs that bend that direction, PLEASE try and make them walk better than they do in SGU. I'm sure others will agree, but in order to survive, that "feature" on the alien should be beneficial.

They look like they can't walk at any pace faster than a slow walk!
                      Neera: "You do not fear them?"
                      : "The Wraith? Naah. Now *clowns* — that's another story."

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                        If you looked closely, the 'fighters' that the mothership launched were the same kind of craft as the pod from "Air" Pt 3.

As for why they left, it's still a mystery. My guess would be that the pod from "Air" was a scouting/advanced recon mission.
                        In the extended version of air on the blurays we learn that destiny didnt have any atmosphere until the humans arrived. So even if the aliens ship cut in the hull to board the destiny there would have been nothing to breath.

Comment

Originally posted by kirmit View Post
                          I think this quote from an article about life on other planets sums it up best:
                          That assumes that humans evolved on earth, and that humans would evolve separately on venus. If in fact humans originated elsewhere in the universe and then settled on both venus and earth, forgot their common origins over billions of years, then reencountered eachother they would look almost 100% identical. Some skin changes in response to atmosphere pressure and temperature and composition, some respritory changes and thats it. Assuming they werent genetically altered for survival in each setting.

Comment

Originally posted by Encoder View Post
                            Seriously can I just say that if you're going to use an alien with legs that bend that direction, PLEASE try and make them walk better than they do in SGU. I'm sure others will agree, but in order to survive, that "feature" on the alien should be beneficial.
                            Its not always the case. Some animal walk slowly on earth but still managed to survive "evolution". Its possible the aliens are the product of a rapid technological development. For example, 5000 years ago they may have been physically weak animal living underground. But starting 5000 years ago quickly developed language, knowledge and science. So their intelligence made them able to leave the underground safely where they were well hidden from predators but the rapid pace of their development made them retain their weak physical feature.
                            Currently watching: Dark Matter, 12 Monkeys, Doctor Who, Under the Dome, The Mentalist, The Messengers, The Last Ship, Elementary, Dominion, The Whispers, Extant, Olympus, Da Vinci's Demons, Vikings

Comment

Originally posted by Commander Zelix View Post
                              Its not always the case. Some animal walk slowly on earth but still managed to survive "evolution". Its possible the aliens are the product of a rapid technological development. For example, 5000 years ago they may have been physically weak animal living underground. But starting 5000 years ago quickly developed language, knowledge and science. So their intelligence made them able to leave the underground safely where they were well hidden from predators but the rapid pace of their development made them retain their weak physical feature.
                              Good point.

Either way, when I saw this type of leg in Independance Day I though, what a joke.

I just "feels" wrong, but hey...I'll see how they play it out.

Get a crow bar to their thin legs and that'll show'em!
                              Neera: "You do not fear them?"
                              : "The Wraith? Naah. Now *clowns* — that's another story."

Comment

Originally posted by kymeric View Post
                                In the extended version of air on the blurays we learn that destiny didnt have any atmosphere until the humans arrived.
                                I just watched the extended cut of Air a couple days ago. I don't recall that being the case.
                                "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Working...
                                X