Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are the writters deliberatly avoiding Mckay and Carter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are the writters deliberatly avoiding Mckay and Carter?

OK, you've read the thread title and your thinking "for the love of god not again!"

But I'm not posing the usual Mckay and Carter can fix it all debate.

No, what I'm asking is do you think the shows writters are deliberally trying to separate the SG1 and SGA franchise apart by not including them as given there pre-established skills they've not had so much as a mention as to the fixing, or even trying to fix destiny?

What value is there in over looking this obvious stroryline? (other than just being different to prove they can)

So again, just to repeat this thread is not about could Mckay or Cater fix Destiny, this is, are the shows writter missing them on purpose???
    I got nothing!

In short, yes they are I belive it's better this way because basically they are too smart and would step on the show, they didn't bring Mckay in every time Carter got into trouble in seasons 9 and 10.

Comment

Yes, I believe they are avoiding them. Not out of anything mean but for the fact that a show has to stand on its own if it's going to succeed. It was the same deal with SGA. They didn't have SG1 characters cross over and step on the toes of the actors on SGA. SGU hasn't said that O'Neill, Carter and Jackson don't exist, but they aren't and, IMO, shouldn't be, focused on.
      sigpic

SGU-RELATED FANART | IN YOUNG WE TRUST | FANDUMB

Comment

Seeing how Jackson and O'Neill are a part of the original movie, isn't the usage rights to their characters different from those created for SG-1 and Atlantis?

Comment

I would say yes and I would say it is a good choice - they want this show to be about their new characters, and to stand on its own, so they are doing the right thing.
          sigpic
          Goodbye and Good Travels, Destiny!

Comment

It could also be that Tapping and Hewlett cant show up for whatever reason.
            Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a night. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm the rest of his life.
            ---
            sigpic

Comment

Somewhere in his blog Malozzi said that McKay wasn't available in SGU first season because of events in Atlantis movie that hasn't been filmed yet. And we've seen Amanda on SGU already and we'll see in future- although maybe only as a ship's captain... maybe the writers have decided to make her full time Air force Colonel without the science thing in SGU.

Hewlett though is a great actor and McKay is a great character and I can't see why couldn't he appear on the show in the 2nd season, if he is needed... toned down a bit but he's still a great character.

Also, as it was said already (unlike that SGU hating forum says) they don't bring in characters from other two shows just to be as a bait to the fans... You can't make a Stargate show and not mention Jack or Daniel... or Carter. But their roles are not that significant to the show, they are always there because they are needed but they do not play a major role in the plot. It's just- you can do without Atlantis characters in SGU... Plus, if the movie would've been filmed, they'd praobably would be fighting their own battles in the Pegasus galaxy at the moment.
              - the guest member of SGU book club

Comment

I think about it this way: let's imagine that SGU has just finished its 7th season and the series ended and a new Stargate show was being booted up. Would it be appropriate to bring Rush, Young, Eli, etc (given they are around) when the new Stargate show would be trying to establish its characters?

Not to mention that I think this series would want to explain the significance of Carter and McKay, because since I think it's trying to get new viewers, they don't want to throw someone in the mix and not explain it.

Also, where's the love for Dr. Lee? I'd rather see him pop in more. Carter herself always referenced "This is something Dr. Lee has been working on..."
                My Minecraft Stargatesigpic

Comment

Originally posted by AquaGamer53 View Post
                  I think about it this way: let's imagine that SGU has just finished its 7th season and the series ended and a new Stargate show was being booted up. Would it be appropriate to bring Rush, Young, Eli, etc (given they are around) when the new Stargate show would be trying to establish its characters?

Not to mention that I think this series would want to explain the significance of Carter and McKay, because since I think it's trying to get new viewers, they don't want to throw someone in the mix and not explain it.

Also, where's the love for Dr. Lee? I'd rather see him pop in more. Carter herself always referenced "This is something Dr. Lee has been working on..."
                  In the case of a future series after SGU, I figure that you'd get a nod from the 'last cast' to help start things off and then the new show would be allowed to go its own way and develop its own story, but no more than that, no
                  sigpic

SGU-RELATED FANART | IN YOUNG WE TRUST | FANDUMB

Comment

who's carter and mckay.???
                    https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Why do you say that Carter and McKay are an "obvious" story line?

Comment

Yes. It would be stupid if a characters from another series randomly appeared to solve a problem. Besides, Carter is busy, and McKay might not even be alive.

Comment

Wait, McKay might not be alive? What happened? The last time I saw him he was putting his arm around what's-her-name Jewel Staite's character on the balcony of Atlantis, which was cloaked and floating in San Francisco Bay.

I'm just trying to imagine McKay and Rush in the control room arguing about how to fix the ship... nothing would get done... whoever's body McKay was in might end up with a few injuries...

We saw Carter briefly in Air, and we've seen Jackson and O'Neill in several episodes (although Jackson was either a figment of Rush's imagination or on a recording giving Eli a crash-course in Stargateology), so it's clear that these people still exist, they're just dealing with their own problems in the Milky Way.

Comment

these people have jobs too...

they're probably buisy saving the world in other ways. also new scientists should get a chance to shine too

Comment

actually mckay and carter were accidently merged together when transported and became rush

Comment

Working...
                              X