Life vs. Sabotage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Replicator Todd View Post
    Sabotage was nothing like Life IMO. Much more sci-fi...
    While I didn't like the episode. I think there was some sci-fi part to it. Even to Wray being rendered paraplegic. It was badly done tho.
    Currently watching: Dark Matter, 12 Monkeys, Doctor Who, Under the Dome, The Mentalist, The Messengers, The Last Ship, Elementary, Dominion, The Whispers, Extant, Olympus, Da Vinci's Demons, Vikings

Comment

I rate Sabotage over Life. Life wasn't such a good ep but I don't think it was awful either. Certainly had it's good moments, just not as much as most other eps. But the sum of the worst bits of SGU still beat the sum of the worst bits of... no, that's getting too far off topic, sorry.
      "Most people who are watching TV are semi-catatonic. They're not fully alive." - U.S. District Court Judge Timothy Batten Sr.
      Ronald Greer is also a medic. Your argument is invalid.
      Originally posted by J-Whitt Remastered
      Secondly, I think that everything DigiFluid is good.
      Sandcastle Builder: The game of XKCD: Time

Comment

Originally posted by carmencatalina View Post
        Hmm, all your examples of "drama" exclude women. So only interactions between men = drama?

Hey, if Young and Rush start kissing, you are going to have to expand your definitions . . .
        I was going to say that, But I did mention Wray and Sharon, right?

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
        Just pointing it out there. Those are all technically relationships. The term relationships refers to to who you relate and get along with other people. It doesn't end at romantic love. The problem is thier is a very blurry line between drama and soaps because they both focuse of the way character acts. Soap operas are more internal in stories while dramas are more external stories and how the charatcer acts. Also soaps have a way higher degree of melodrama then drama
        Well, I think to me what makes a difference between character drama and soap opera is how much focus and depth they put on the episode. With Rush and Amanda Perry it did not feel like soapy because it was just feelings they had for eachother, and her being able to use a body through Wray added drama to it. But it added to the plot and really did not get waaaaaaay too deep.

Same goes for Human, you had the drama between Rush and his Wife, and yeah it might have been soap opera-ish but it added a lot to the plot at hand. which was Rush trying to figure out the ship controls and Young hoping he succeeds so they can stop the FTL before it strands the party.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Briangate78 View Post
          I was going to say that, But I did mention Wray and Sharon, right?

Well, I think to me what makes a difference between character drama and soap opera is how much focus and depth they put on the episode. With Rush and Amanda Perry it did not feel like soapy because it was just feelings they had for eachother, and her being able to use a body through Wray added drama to it. But it added to the plot and really did not get waaaaaaay too deep.

Same goes for Human, you had the drama between Rush and his Wife, and yeah it might have been soap opera-ish but it added a lot to the plot at hand. which was Rush trying to figure out the ship controls and Young hoping he succeeds so they can stop the FTL before it strands the party.
          I'm in agreement. I did not find Human soapy. It was just Rush being sad about having to relive the death of his wife. I don't think that equates soapyness. Because drama by its nature will feature relationships and emotions between character. We can't have all of those being soap operas. I think the degree of those relationships determines the difference between soap opera and drama. Where in soap operas all storeis revolve around the characters and their interaction and dramas having more plots that are outside the characters
          Originally posted by aretood2
          Jelgate is right

Comment

I'l say Sabotage is worse due to wasted potential, especially since the teaser made it seem like something it wasnt.
            Sabotage had a very good premise, one that worked well with Stargate in the past. The whole episode seemed to be building up to a payoff that just didnt happen. I expected there to be a little more jeopardy and suspense, instead of the sabotage conveniently fixing the problem, and Franklin conveniently saving the the day by sitting on his ass in the chair and freezing himself

Comment

'Life' is one of the worst SGU episodes. The stones again lead to soap opera antics.
              'Sabotage' is an interesting look at far more meaningful aspects of body swapping... and was just far superior.

Rush NOT having sex with Wray's body [hmm] and calling into question the ethics of doing so... Brilliant.
              Sharon caring for her lover trapped in another woman's crippled body... Beautiful.
              sigpic
              More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

Originally posted by nx01a View Post
                'Life' is one of the worst SGU episodes. The stones again lead to soap opera antics.
                'Sabotage' is an interesting look at far more meaningful aspects of body swapping... and was just far superior.

Rush NOT having sex with Wray's body [hmm] and calling into question the ethics of doing so...
                He didn't call the ethics of doing so. He just said he couldn't do it since the memory of his wife was still fresh in his mind.
                Currently watching: Dark Matter, 12 Monkeys, Doctor Who, Under the Dome, The Mentalist, The Messengers, The Last Ship, Elementary, Dominion, The Whispers, Extant, Olympus, Da Vinci's Demons, Vikings

Comment

Originally posted by nx01a View Post

Rush NOT having sex with Wray's body [hmm] and calling into question the ethics of doing so... Brilliant.
                  Sharon caring for her lover trapped in another woman's crippled body... Beautiful.
                  Its kinda weird imo that every is supprised that Sharon cares for Camille though she is inside a crippled body. It seems like people think that usually somebody wouldn't want their lover back even if in a crippled body and they act like its beautiful and extraordinary that Sharon still cares for Camille like that. I think its the opposite. If Sharon didn't treat Camille the way she did it would be supprising. Does anyone agree with me?
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Commander Zelix View Post
                    He didn't call the ethics of doing so. He just said he couldn't do it since the memory of his wife was still fresh in his mind.
                    Was it Amanda then who tried to rationalize him having sex with her in Wray's body as 'It's me in here'?

PERRY: Nick, it's me.
                    RUSH: I think we both know it's a bit more complicated than that.
                    PERRY: The word is “insane”.
                    Originally posted by major davis View Post
                    Its kinda weird imo that every is supprised that Sharon cares for Camille though she is inside a crippled body. It seems like people think that usually somebody wouldn't want their lover back even if in a crippled body and they act like its beautiful and extraordinary that Sharon still cares for Camille like that. I think its the opposite. If Sharon didn't treat Camille the way she did it would be supprising. Does anyone agree with me?
                    I wasn't surprised by it in the least. Considering the love between them that we've seen before, it made sense but it was still very touching to see. TPTB could have been very '1/2 half of the season forced drama' and had Sharon not handle it very well, but she pulled through nicely.
                    sigpic
                    More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

Who has expressed surprise?

Comment

As others have said, "Life" established for me that there is no reason to be surprised that Sharon still cares for her. It's not necessarily extraordinary (though I will say, trying to wrap your mind around a body-swap would be pretty interesting), but it is most certainly beautiful. Love really just is beautiful, at least imo.
                        Sig by Pandora's Box
                        sigpic

Comment

Working...
                        X