• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

thanks, Carmen and Carter...green!
    sigpic

SGU-RELATED FANART | IN YOUNG WE TRUST | FANDUMB

Comment

i dont think any of this is really relevent to SGU, so in order to save those previous attack posts from deletion let me get this thread back on topic.
      can you body swap and use that body to murder someone then body swap back? CSI will have a pretty hard time figuring that one out.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Duneknight View Post
        i dont think any of this is really relevent to SGU, so in order to save those previous attack posts from deletion let me get back on topic.
        can you body swap and use that body to murder someone then body swap back? CSI will have a pretty hard time figuring that one out.
        I think the military would have their own people investigate. It would make a great crossover NCISGU!
        sigpic
        Doci of the BAG

Comment

Originally posted by Duneknight View Post
          i dont think any of this is really relevent to SGU, so in order to save those previous attack posts from deletion let me get this thread back on topic.
          How is it on-topic, exactly? *scratches head*
          There's a good chance this opinion is shared by Ashizuri
          sigpic
          awesome sig by Josiane

Comment

Originally posted by GateroomGuard View Post
            You can have good story-telling about issues and still be respectful to people who have been affected by that issue. The story is never the problem it's the way the story is told.
            I concur...I don't see how being respectful is a hinderance to story telling.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by carmencatalina View Post
              I realize that being offended on these forums is my choice, but seriously, if you know little about a subject that may directly affect people, maybe you should just stick to topics you know something about.

HIV affects lots of people I know - I've lost people I love to AIDS. If you haven't, that's wonderful for you. But trivializing the matter is rather rude.
              Agreed, you said it best.

Duneknight:
              Suggesting that SGU never deal with real world issues is exactly the opposite of what the show is about. HIV is a real concern, whether you believe it or not. Just as paralysis and other forms of disablity are, and they are addressed here too. I like it that SGU is able to touch on these issues without being disrespectful, and if you're going to watch the show, if you don't like a particular choice regarding a disease or a lifestyle, don't insult and downplay the importance of the thing in the real world. Don't insult those who say that they liked the choice because they can relate it to their lives. Good stories are about the human condition, and HIV is currently a small, but important, part of that.

Honestly, I like the realism that the show gains by addressing diseases like HIV or cancer, etc. It doesn't linger, it doesn't preach, and it gives me one more thing to relate experiences I've had IRL to.

Comment

Originally posted by Daro View Post
                Agreed, you said it best.

Duneknight:
                Suggesting that SGU never deal with real world issues is exactly the opposite of what the show is about. HIV is a real concern, whether you believe it or not. Just as paralysis and other forms of disablity are, and they are addressed here too. I like it that SGU is able to touch on these issues without being disrespectful, and if you're going to watch the show, if you don't like a particular choice regarding a disease or a lifestyle, don't insult and downplay the importance of the thing in the real world. Don't insult those who say that they liked the choice because they can relate it to their lives. Good stories are about the human condition, and HIV is currently a small, but important, part of that.

Honestly, I like the realism that the show gains by addressing diseases like HIV or cancer, etc. It doesn't linger, it doesn't preach, and it gives me one more thing to relate experiences I've had IRL to.
                I couldn't have said it better myself. There have been a few things that SGU has done (mostly in the first few episodes of the season) that I haven't necessarily liked. However I still have great respect for the writers and TPTB to go to those places that may be conterversial or not always every fans favorite. To me television is just another art form. My TV is the canvas to which the shows are the art. And SGU is no exception. What someone else sees as art I may not. Who am I to tell the artist that their art is not art?

And if TPTB want to explore issues that are real concerns of today, and are willing to do it in a manner that is of good taste and not disrespecting of any particular person, race, orientation, or disease, then all the power to them. I applaude them for taking those risks.
                My Life Motto: There are no wrong roads in life just paths that lead to unexpected Adventures.
                "Ago simplex sic alius may simplex ago" - Live simply, so other's may simply live - Ghandi

Comment

I don't think art and it's diversity is an excuse for offensive material. Everyone may be offended by different things but the first part of the series was an active attempt to offend people as well as to attract people to the show by being shocking.

The problem is TV aren't artistic...they are commercial. They are designed to attract viewers and they'll do so at nearly any length they can get away with. Art trys to be understood even at the cost of people loosing the concept.

These last two episodes have done a good, maybe even a great job at story telling which is not just an art form but a skill.

I found the return of the castaways....predictable and the escape predictable....(that's not necessarily a bad thing) Even a predictable of happily ever afters can be well told and interesting. SGU is getting there...and it's been far too long.

Comment

Yea, I thought Sabotage was going to be action packed but I was pretty bored as well. But is no where as boring as "Life."

Comment

Originally posted by Replicator Todd
                      Yea, I thought Sabotage was going to be action packed but I was pretty bored as well. Bot is no where as boring as "Life."
                      Excellent example of post where person says they dislike an episode, says why, and manages to do so without insulting anyone. Green for you, Replicator Todd.
                      sigpic
                      Goodbye and Good Travels, Destiny!

Comment

Originally posted by Saquist View Post
                        I don't think art and it's diversity is an excuse for offensive material. Everyone may be offended by different things but the first part of the series was an active attempt to offend people as well as to attract people to the show by being shocking.
                        Say what?

Comment

The problem is TV aren't artistic...they are commercial. They are designed to attract viewers and they'll do so at nearly any length they can get away with. Art trys to be understood even at the cost of people loosing the concept.

These last two episodes have done a good, maybe even a great job at story telling which is not just an art form but a skill.

I found the return of the castaways....predictable and the escape predictable....(that's not necessarily a bad thing) Even a predictable of happily ever afters can be well told and interesting. SGU is getting there...and it's been far too long.
                          As an artist and a writer, I'm going to have to take offense at what you say here; I cannot stand it when someone declares that something isn't art just because it's different or new. Yes, there is a commercial aspect to television, but that's a necessary evil. Something has to pay for brilliant actors and talented writers. I don't think the show has been sensationalist in its appraoch at all.
                          Art addresses and reflects the society its describing at the time. SGU is set in western society, even if they're on a space ship across the universe. Declaring a work of fiction, a story, to not be art simply because you don't like how it treats certain issues, and because it has commercial breaks, pretty much discards as trivial the fantastic job that the writers, special effects teams, and actors do.

If you don't enjoy it as entertainment, which is what art is, then why are you watching the show?

Comment

Or perhaps TPTB didn't realize how many people would get offended by some of the stuff in the first half of the season. And possibly with feedback from the fans, they may do things for the second season a little differently then they did for the first season.
                            My Life Motto: There are no wrong roads in life just paths that lead to unexpected Adventures.
                            "Ago simplex sic alius may simplex ago" - Live simply, so other's may simply live - Ghandi

Comment

Originally posted by SG7 View Post
                              Or perhaps TPTB didn't realize how many people would get offended by some of the stuff in the first half of the season. And possibly with feedback from the fans, they may do things for the second season a little differently then they did for the first season.
                              This is true. That said, I'm still very skeptical that it was a very significant portion of people who were "offended" by any particular event of the early season. Then again, I might be biased considering SGU hasn't offended me yet...and I also don't think it should matter anyways. The old addage of "you don't have the right to not be offended" comes to mind.
                              Sig by Pandora's Box
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SG7 View Post
                                And how many people got offended? I suspect it's less than those who were offended claim.

Comment

Working...
                                X