This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Shan Bruce Lee View Post
    Is it just me or is James getting a lot more screen time lately? Not that I mind, I like the character.
    She is, and on one hand I don't mind. On the other, characters like Eli, Scott, and Reiley seem neglected to me. We have a large cast, which makes for a complex show, and I like that. But I'd rather they stay focused on some of the characters we've already got a certain attachment to and interest in.

Comment

Originally posted by Replicator Todd View Post
      Indeed, a major let down. I'm let down so much that i'm kinda angry.
      I read enough spoilers to have guessed that was what was going to happen at this point, but I was hoping I was wrong.
      sigpic

Comment

Angry? Really? It's only a television show.
        Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
        Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

Originally posted by Shan Bruce Lee View Post
          Is it just me or is James getting a lot more screen time lately? Not that I mind, I like the character.
          they are writing for her now. as long as the writers don't keep up with the "i let col young down again" story it's fine.
          https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Originally posted by Daro View Post
            She is, and on one hand I don't mind. On the other, characters like Eli, Scott, and Reiley seem neglected to me. We have a large cast, which makes for a complex show, and I like that. But I'd rather they stay focused on some of the characters we've already got a certain attachment to and interest in.
            Who is this we? Because for every character out there said character has it fans. The writers can't heavily focus alll of them,
            Originally posted by aretood2
            Jelgate is right

Comment

I realize they can't all be really good episodes, so I know we're gonna get a few of these. Like "Life" and "Faith" this episode really didn't do a whole lot. Gonna change up my review a bit, instead of going character by character, gonna list the likes and dislikes:

Likes -
              - More of James and her unresolved feelings towards Scott; he really just did her and then jumped to Chloe, which is what the actor meant by seeing him at his worst.
              - Rush with a pipe, taking down Greer and a few others; the man probably single-handily saved this episode with that one scene.
              - I liked the implication at the end; Gate open "Do we send someone or not? Because we could end up with something worse than space ticks." And yet, despite them knowing that danger, they know they have to go anyway. Kind of emotionally touching, getting that hopelessness and desperation across in one scene; a perfect "show" instead of "tell" moment.

Dislikes -
              - Scott and Chloe were predictable, Greer's paranoia was just plain awful. More of the "angry, black man" role, when his character has come so far.
              - Rush's reactions, while a bit understandable, weren't very logical. he came across far too emotional instead of reasoning things out like he's done consistently since Day 1. (yes, not always for the better, but logically-based). I'll have to accept that the tick screwed with that, too.
              - Speaking of ticks, that whole plot was rather weak; it was just a plot device to get some character moments, which is poor writing. You can get those character moments with a better plot.
              - TWO &*^%$#@! MUSIC MONTAGES GAAAAH! I know they are putting them in to make SG seem more "hip" and "modern" but it comes off so out of place. Like your father trying to fit in with his son's teenage friends and failing badly. Or a white guy trying to be a black rapper. That, and the shaky cam, need to go. They... just... don't... FIT. Kudos on trying something new, guys, but PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEESE make them go away!
              - Overall, the episode felt weak, and just kinda meh. I think I preferred "Life" more, as we got character moments there that actually tied well into the plot. But this isn't as bad as "Faith" so that's something.

And I think that sums it up. There was no Eli/Chloe kiss in this, so that particular scene from the trailer isn't a hallucination like I thought it might be. Based on some things I heard that cannot be discussed now, I think I know where and when it happens. I wonder if Chloe will find out about James and Scott, and if a blowup will push Chloe into finally seeing Eli as something better. Most women do eventually learn to drop the "bad boy" and realize that the "nice guy" is a better catch by the time they hit 30.

So, on an end note, I'll just say this: To ANY people at SG production, can you PLEASE stop the music montages? The shaky cam, I can probably stomach. But the music montages aren't working. I'll admit, one or two did, like the one at the end of Air Part 3; but the rest of them really look like your dad joining his son's friends and going, "Yo, what is up, my home boys? Can you dig it, dog? Do you like hanging at my crib? Let us go kick it!"

Meanwhile, the son is covering his face in shame, and the rest of his friends are laughing and the general feeling is one of awkwardness as dad tries to be cool and hip. I really, really, don't want dad to try and be hip, because he can't.

Comment

i know we're all in pain
                https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

I noted that too. It makes sense on one level; call the man who is the boss of the men with guns when there are aliens on the ship. That's what I'd do. But I sat there trying to read a deeper meaning in it for several minutes, coming to the conclusion that Rush knows he can rely on Young, in most situations, to save the day.
                  That's very true; it's a positive moment that way.
                  sigpic

SGU-RELATED FANART | IN YOUNG WE TRUST | FANDUMB

Comment

Originally posted by s09119 View Post
                    Honestly, I relish the hours after the new show has aired. It's so nice to see people angry at the tv before we turn to our weekly activity of being furious with each other in the various threads. Though I have trouble seeing how this episode could be very controversial along those lines.

Comment

We're online on a Friday night discussing the show, obviously we're not the average fan...emotion is OK
                      sigpic

Comment

Indeed it is, a television show i'm devoting my time to. To me, a TV show is so much more than a TV show.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaiphantom View Post
                          I realize they can't all be really good episodes, so I know we're gonna get a few of these. Like "Life" and "Faith" this episode really didn't do a whole lot. Gonna change up my review a bit, instead of going character by character, gonna list the likes and dislikes:

Likes -
                          - More of James and her unresolved feelings towards Scott; he really just did her and then jumped to Chloe, which is what the actor meant by seeing him at his worst.
                          - Rush with a pipe, taking down Greer and a few others; the man probably single-handily saved this episode with that one scene.
                          - I liked the implication at the end; Gate open "Do we send someone or not? Because we could end up with something worse than space ticks." And yet, despite them knowing that danger, they know they have to go anyway. Kind of emotionally touching, getting that hopelessness and desperation across in one scene; a perfect "show" instead of "tell" moment.

Dislikes -
                          - Scott and Chloe were predictable, Greer's paranoia was just plain awful. More of the "angry, black man" role, when his character has come so far.
                          - Rush's reactions, while a bit understandable, weren't very logical. he came across far too emotional instead of reasoning things out like he's done consistently since Day 1. (yes, not always for the better, but logically-based). I'll have to accept that the tick screwed with that, too.
                          - Speaking of ticks, that whole plot was rather weak; it was just a plot device to get some character moments, which is poor writing. You can get those character moments with a better plot.
                          - TWO &*^%$#@! MUSIC MONTAGES GAAAAH! I know they are putting them in to make SG seem more "hip" and "modern" but it comes off so out of place. Like your father trying to fit in with his son's teenage friends and failing badly. Or a white guy trying to be a black rapper. That, and the shaky cam, need to go. They... just... don't... FIT. Kudos on trying something new, guys, but PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEESE make them go away!
                          - Overall, the episode felt weak, and just kinda meh. I think I preferred "Life" more, as we got character moments there that actually tied well into the plot. But this isn't as bad as "Faith" so that's something.

And I think that sums it up. There was no Eli/Chloe kiss in this, so that particular scene from the trailer isn't a hallucination like I thought it might be. Based on some things I heard that cannot be discussed now, I think I know where and when it happens. I wonder if Chloe will find out about James and Scott, and if a blowup will push Chloe into finally seeing Eli as something better. Most women do eventually learn to drop the "bad boy" and realize that the "nice guy" is a better catch by the time they hit 30.

So, on an end note, I'll just say this: To ANY people at SG production, can you PLEASE stop the music montages? The shaky cam, I can probably stomach. But the music montages aren't working. I'll admit, one or two did, like the one at the end of Air Part 3; but the rest of them really look like your dad joining his son's friends and going, "Yo, what is up, my home boys? Can you dig it, dog? Do you like hanging at my crib? Let us go kick it!"

Meanwhile, the son is covering his face in shame, and the rest of his friends are laughing and the general feeling is one of awkwardness as dad tries to be cool and hip. I really, really, don't want dad to try and be hip, because he can't.
                          So with you on the montages. I grit my teeth every time, and I'll be damned if it wasn't TWICE this episode! I thought I was safe near the end but noooo....*sighs*
                          We should start a petition to send to TPTB: Please, for the love of a great show, no more montages. They just...don't work in space. They don't. That's it, that's all there is to it, and everytime I see Dr. Rush staring at his console while some sappy modern blues song is playing, I expect him to flip the camera off. It's certainly what I'm doing.

Comment

So with you on the montages. I grit my teeth every time, and I'll be damned if it wasn't TWICE this episode! I thought I was safe near the end but noooo....*sighs*
                            We should start a petition to send to TPTB: Please, for the love of a great show, no more montages. They just...don't work in space. They don't. That's it, that's all there is to it, and everytime I see Dr. Rush staring at his console while some sappy modern blues song is playing, I expect him to flip the camera off. It's certainly what I'm doing.
                            There was only one montage in this episode. And I like them.
                            Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
                            Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

Hmm, good idea. I'm gonna start a petition in the SGU General Discussion section shortly...

Comment

I like the music and non-verbal scenes just showing some stuff happening on the ship, an easy way to wrap things up without much time and letting us make necessary assumptions...
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X