No announcement yet.

So what's up with the gates?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think a better question at this point needs to be why did the alterans send seeder ships out to build a crappy gate network? That is what makes no sense to me. Why send this ships out to do this if realistically all it was doing was saving you the slight inconvience of flying your ship to the planet in the locals cluster if the gate network was only a local one.

Atleast milky way gates go anywhere in our own galaxy which might make sense but you build this network to save the few planet trip between a small network of isolated gates from each other? It makes no sense.

Tim

Comment

I wonder if a Milky Way gate can connect to any of the planets the seeder ship placed a gate on? (like it did to the Destiny) All Earth would need was the correct address (which they could get using the communication stones) and a large enough power source. Maybe this was why the Alterans sent out the seeder ships....to explore the universe...

Comment

maybe the gates in SGU can dial other gates throughout the galaxy, but they cant becouse of interstellar adrift (i think its called like this). So the gates can only dial the gates that are close, just like earth was only able to dial abidos in SG1 season, until Carter calculated something....

Comment

Atleast milky way gates go anywhere in our own galaxy which might make sense but you build this network to save the few planet trip between a small network of isolated gates from each other? It makes no sense.
          That's because you don't understand how the ancients work.... they're lazy
          "Gegen diesen Idioten muss ich verlieren!" (A. Nimzowitsch)

Comment

What is cool about the SGU gates is that they.......spin.

And EVERYONE knows that spinning is so much cooler then not spinning.

General Hammond would be proud

He never got to have the gates spin in the SGC EVEN though he was the general.

Comment

When the seeder ships were sent out, the ancients probably didn't know what size galaxy they will encounter. There are many "micro-galaxies" that are no where near the size of the MW. They figured why waste a lot of power to build a "Wi-Max" network when all you need is a "Wi-Fi" network.
              The signature has been destroyed!

Comment

Yea... the "micro-galaxies" with only a few... million... stars...

Seriously, I'm enjoying SGU more recently (not this last episode but the previous 2 were quite good) but it's these glaring "eh, who cares, show the idiot half naked in bed with scott some more that'll get us past this whole not giving a damn about anything making sense" that irks me.

I bet somewhere SGU has a technical advisor who asked that same question and got told "we're not looking for the same fan base with this project like SG-1 or Atlantis."

Tim

Comment

coZma: HAHAHA, maybe that's it!

Tim

Comment

Originally posted by Mike. View Post
                    i'll never understand how you people can just simply call up joe m blog quotes
                    https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

I'm pro SGU >> Milky Way >> Pegasus.

Just because SGU gates were older does not mean inferior technology. Think of SGU gates like concept cars. It's got all the shebang of pretty lights, remote dialing and even the ability to dial with no DHD powersource. Then comes the more practical mass production of gates that 'normal' people would be envisioned to use, aka Milky Way gates. These more practical gates allow for a more diverse user group like finger punchers and low IQ. Then comes Pegasus which we all know is the last bastion of ancients so it'd make perfect sense that they would use the lastest technology.

Comment

Originally posted by Lant3an View Post
                        maybe the gates in SGU can dial other gates throughout the galaxy, but they cant becouse of interstellar adrift (i think its called like this). So the gates can only dial the gates that are close, just like earth was only able to dial abidos in SG1 season, until Carter calculated something....
                        until carter calculated the planets deviation, but here is not the same thing
                        Watching SGA and SGU

Comment

from all ive seen there seems to be a contradiction in SGU it has been stated many times during the show that the destiny is hundreds of thousands of years old. if you look the timeline in gateworld is around 900 thousand or so. yet we know that the SGA gates are several million years old. and the SG1 are older than that. yet the claim is made that the destiny gates not only predate the milky way ones, but that the ship itself predates atlantis itself, now the argument can be made that the technology may have been updated. but if you look at the SGA pilot there is a throne chair. therefore not so.
                          so my question is somebody lying about the true age of the destiny, or is the destiny one of the original alteran ships from which they left the OG and millions of years later readapted these ships for this purpose?

Comment

Destiny and the gate design is definitely older.Why Rush would get it wrong is open to speculation. But there is no question about Destiny's age.

From Joe Mallozzi's blog:

Michael writes: “If Atlantis left for Pegasus “Several Million Years Ago” according to “Rising”, was Rush mistaken in his estimate that Destiny left Earth “Hundreds of Thousands” of years ago?”

Answer: He misspoke or was speaking sort of off-hand, assuming he wasn’t going to be called on it by a knowledgeable fan.
                            http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...njoy-if-i-did/

Ian writes: “Some people in a forum i am in are debating about destiny and atlantis. Destiny is first right? and we know that Atlantis has to be a few million years old, since they wiped out life in the milky way and then restarted it and left for pegasus. So would you be able to give a range of years like Destiny is 30-35 million years old and Atlantis is 10-15 million years old??”

Answer: I’d rather not put a specific date on either (I’ll leave that to Brad or Rob), but I will confirm that, yes, Destiny IS older.
                            http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...ts-curveballs/
                            Carter: "The singularity is about to explode!"

Comment

Whether this is correct or not, I don't know, but I don't think the gates in Universe are based on a coordinate system (constellations or anything else), so there's no stellar drift to worry about. I think it's like serial numbers, each gate in a galaxy had a code (phone number) that doesn't change. Each gate only knows about the gates within range, and when dialing, simply sends out a code.

I can't imagine how the MW dialing system, based on location in space, with reference on one planet in that galaxy, would work given what we've got so far.

So, I choose to believe, that each gate is only a code, and it's a completely different system than what we've seen to date.

Comment

New Show! New Canon! This debate is about something that they didn't plan too much when they started the series. Let's just take the show creators at their word. SGU Gates and the Destiny are older.

Comment

Working...
                                X