Greer's issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JustAnotherVoice View Post
    Greer wouldn't have known how long he was out for (I didn't see him check his watch), he wouldn't have known how long they tried digging him out for.
    Considering Greer was able to dig himself out. Even from his perspective, not very long... We, and he, saw that he was only a few feet away from Scott when the floor crashed on him.
    Currently watching: Dark Matter, 12 Monkeys, Doctor Who, Under the Dome, The Mentalist, The Messengers, The Last Ship, Elementary, Dominion, The Whispers, Extant, Olympus, Da Vinci's Demons, Vikings

Comment

Originally posted by Tuvok View Post
      Actually Ellievee so far evidence of 'hairtriger' of his is in short supply.

His beating on Rush seemed more of issue of his machinations stranding them on Destiny and his mistrust of the man.

His striking of Telford may be evidence. But then as Young put it he had it coming.

The Wray \ Greer tension ...puzzling but not proof. Interesting.

His actions where a reflection of the Military loyalty too one of their own.

Until we get more proof that hair trigger thing seems a label he hasn't earned as of yet.

As to how he made Corporal we have seen him focused. Determined and more philosophical then expected. He's got salt in the shoes and that adds a lot.

you're a wonderful voice of reason, Tuvok. Must be those Vulcan ears
      sigpic

SGU-RELATED FANART | IN YOUNG WE TRUST | FANDUMB

Comment

Originally posted by Commander Zelix View Post
        Considering Greer was able to dig himself out. Even from his perspective, not very long... We, and he, saw that he was only a few feet away from Scott when the floor crashed on him.
        Until they find the lab with the Ancient Hindsight Device, that's irrelevant. Scott made a decision based on what he knew: the cave was beginning to collapse and he was unable to communicate with Greer via voice or radio. Staying put himself, plus Chole and Eli, in greater danger. He didn't know that the cave was going to hold or that Greer was even alive.
        I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.

Comment

If I was Greer I would be seriously pissed off at Scott for leaving me there. Greer as been loyal all along with Scott even willing to risk his life to save his girlfriend. Now this. I don't think it's related to his relation with his father.
          I don’t think you can fairly say that Scott was disloyal to Greer. Scott saw the roof collapse directly on top of him. They tried to dig him out and repeatedly yelled and used the radio to contact him with no reply. The odds at that point were very slim that he was still alive. If it had been safe to continue to dig then I agree Scott should have continued until they found a body; but remaining in the tunnels were too dangerous. They were very unstable as evidenced by their recent collapse and continued shaking and could have come down on all of them at any moment. Scott made a command decision that it wasn’t worth the risk to continue digging on the very unlikely chance that Greer was still alive.

I can understand how Greer felt they had abandoned him but if it had been him instead of Scott I bet he would have made the same imo correct decision.

Comment

Originally posted by Avenger View Post
            He didn't know that the cave was going to hold or that Greer was even alive.
            Sure but he didn't know if Greer was simply knocked off. He assumed he was dead only to save his own ass and those of Eli and Chloe, while Greer would probably dig all the rocks even if Eli and Chloe left if it was Scott under those rocks. When a friend or family is down there, you don't assume the worst, you assume best. It's like people who need to see the body before really accepting the fact that somebody close to them is dead.
            Currently watching: Dark Matter, 12 Monkeys, Doctor Who, Under the Dome, The Mentalist, The Messengers, The Last Ship, Elementary, Dominion, The Whispers, Extant, Olympus, Da Vinci's Demons, Vikings

Comment

Greer should consult Scott before he made any action that jeopardize any of the team member. It' is his fault that lead to he position himself in a dangerous spot of the rubble and get left behind is just a chain reactions of his actions.

Greer is Greer. Let him be. He want to be alone and he got it...

Comment

Greer digging himself out uninjured from a tunnel collapse like we witnessed was a Hollywood moment. There is no way he would have been uninjured from that amount of rock and dirt falling. And assuming he is the luckiest man alive he would not have any mechanical advantage from the position he was in to dig himself out. I rewatched the episode and it is hard to tell how far apart they were when the tunnel collapsed. Greer walked briskly for about 5 seconds to the corner of the tunnel. He could have covered over 30 feet. Scott walked slower for about 2 seconds and stopped probably covering 10-15 feet. Greer returned to just past the corner when the tunnel collapsed. I would guesstimate they were at least 15 feet apart at the time of the collapse. After the collapse it looked like Scott walked 10 feet to the debris wall. But if I had been Scott and the ceiling started to collapse I would have turned and immediately backed up as far as I could. If he had been less than 5 feet away I would have risked trying dig him out if it was closer to 15 feet then there could have been over 10 feet of debris to clear to reach him. He wouldn’t have been reachable without a great deal of digging. There is no way to know without being there if Scott made the right decision. Given Scott's character he wouldn't have left Greer if there had been a reasonable chance he survived and to recover him.
                Last edited by Blackhole; 01 May 2010, 11:47 PM.

Comment

Sure but he didn't know if Greer was simply knocked off. He assumed he was dead only to save his own ass and those of Eli and Chloe, while Greer would probably dig all the rocks even if Eli and Chloe left if it was Scott under those rocks. When a friend or family is down there, you don't assume the worst, you assume best. It's like people who need to see the body before really accepting the fact that somebody close to them is dead.
                  And under those circumstances, it was the right call. Any decent military officer would have made the same decision. He wasn't in a position to assume the best. He assessed the situation and the risk and determined that leaving with two other people was the best option. Part of the job is losing people and making decisions that are the best for the unit, sometimes at the expense of an individual.

Comment

And under those circumstances, it was the right call. Any decent military officer would have made the same decision. He wasn't in a position to assume the best. He assessed the situation and the risk and determined that leaving with two other people was the best option. Part of the job is losing people and making decisions that are the best for the unit, sometimes at the expense of an individual.
                    Rightfully stated Avenger, it was the correct action stated at the time.

Cold calculations and all that.

And I am sure Greer would agree.

Comment

"Even from his perspective" is what I have a problem with here. In the time he was able to free himself, Scott and the gang had gone all the way back to the gate, probably at a leisurely pace, since Eli made a fuss in that episode where they tried to get him to work out. Assuming that Greer is infinitely fitter than either Chloe or Eli, it looked like Greer had to run quite a while to get from the ruins back to the gate, and that was running full tilt.

To get from the gate to the collapsed tunnel, it took James' party under 30 mins but more than 15 (low end guestimates from Volker's dialogue in the previous ep), probably moving quite quickly since they were on a timer. Assuming Scott's trio took it at a similar, if not slower pace, Greer would still have been buried for at least 30 minutes, give or take. 30 minutes digging in a seismically active area is a very long time, especially when you're looking for a man buried under several tons of dirt without any natural or artificial cover overhead to take the load.

Also, 15 feet or so at the time of the cave in doesn't mean that the cave in was localised to the immediate vicinity. By some miracle, the tunnel didn't continue collapsing much further beyond the few feet that dropped on Greer's head.

Now, assuming that Scott did dig deep and long enough to find Greer, but he didn't have TPTB protecting him from all but a few scratches, who knows what Scott would have found. Crush injuries from unprotected cave ins (as in theres nothing directly overhead taking the brunt of the impact, as you often see in building collapses) are pretty much fatal, outside of hollywood. Crushed limbs, massive blood loss etc are all "best case scenarios" for what happened to Greer.

Comment

Originally posted by Tuvok View Post
                        Rightfully stated Avenger, it was the correct action stated at the time.

Cold calculations and all that.

And I am sure Greer would agree.
                        Most people would have done the same under the circumstances, obviously except Chloe and Eli. A deliberate plot antagoniser.

Comment

I still think that if it was one of your children, your girlfriend or even a friend down there even us, who are not Hollywood heroes, would have dig out the rocks. It seems like the natural thing to do.
                          Last edited by Commander Zelix; 02 May 2010, 04:09 AM.

Comment

You're not looking at it from the perspective that a decision maker in the military would.

Comment

You're not looking at it from the perspective that a decision maker in the military would.
                              It was not really a military settings or situation here. There's no implication for the global war. Its not a situation of the good of the many here. The many being like 2 other people beside you. Yes Young was right at shooting at the attacking aliens ships when Rush and Chloe were in it. If the Destiny explode Rush and Chloe would die anyway.

But here, its only 4 people making decision regarding their survival. Scott was a wimp in this situation. I'm ashamed of him. If I was Greer, I would be seriously pissed off and don't see my friendship with Scott exactly the same way. He was ready to risk his life to save Scott's girlfriend just a few weeks ago.

I got a question for you. If it was Chloe under the rumbles would he have left her there not knowing if she was dead or not? Would you (being a commander) left your girlfriend there in exactly the same situation?

Comment

It was not really a military settings or situation here. There's no implication for the global war. Its not a situation of the good of the many here. The many being like 2 other people beside you. Yes Young was right at shooting at the attacking aliens ships when Rush and Chloe were in it. If the Destiny explode Rush and Chloe would die anyway.

But here, its only 4 people making decision regarding their survival. Scott was a wimp in this situation. I'm ashamed of him. If I was Greer, I would be seriously pissed off and don't see my friendship with Scott exactly the same way. He was ready to risk his life to save Scott's girlfriend just a few weeks ago.

I got a question for you. If it was Chloe under the rumbles would he have left her there not knowing if she was dead or not? Would you (being a commander) left your girlfriend there in exactly the same situation?
                                Let's hope your wrong Commander. Not out of spite, but out of survival. Cause if Greer holds Scott in his crosshairs it won't end well. Scott maybe the defacto 2IC but we all know who to bet on when the fist start flying.

You know what I hate most of all regarding this.

Six more friggin days till my next SGU fix . And six more days till we get an answer in regards to the Greer- Scott reunion.

Will it be a casual greeting , old friends no harm no foul.

Or something a little more hostile?

Comment

Working...
                                X